1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Video Poker Tournament?

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by FuzzyDiceCraps, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hoping all you VMB'ers could give me some advice on this. My wife frequently plays slot tournaments, but I recently got an invite to a VP tournament. Not sure if its because that was my focus last trip or just happened to get one as a marketing offer. This is the first time I ever recall getting an invite to one...its with CET, also odd since I normally only play craps at CET properties.

Anyway, wanted to see how these generally work - is it like slots where you play 3 rounds and highest combined win total wins? Or is it more like a BJ tourney with risk decisions, etc? I know with slots they really turn up the frequency of jackpots to make things more "exciting"....is it the same with VP where they turn up the frequency of royals? Ultimately is following VP strategy important or is it basically luck of the draw like with a slot tourney?

Any advice would be appreciated. As it turns out the dates abut our current stay with V/P, so we can extend our trip a few days and take advantage of both offers - something I'm giving serious consideration toward doing.

Thanks!

Taking the wife to a work conference
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All the ones I have been invited to have been at Boyd properties. For them, it is usually one session per day for two days. All the games have been DDB.

Play as fast as you can but you still have to make intelligent decisions. I'm at a disadvantage because I'm a slow player and usually have credits left when the 15 or 20 minute session ends. I've cashed once in about 8 invites for a couple of hundred.

btw, there is no jiggering the games on VP in a tournament. The rules stay the same. One new deck every hand.

Good luck! They're fun and sometimes the continental breakfast isn't too bad for free.

3. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think you'd be more aggressive like take shots at the Royal more.

5. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah that is what I read but not sure HOW aggressive to be..

6. maxev

maxev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd go extremely aggressive.

In slot tournaments, the games are juiced so that it's easier to hit a top jackpot, usually multiple times per session. The final scores tend to be very close.

Video poker tournaments have the same odds as regular video poker, so there's much greater disparity in final scores.

Hence, my strategy is to aggressively go for royals and quad Aces (all the vp tourneys I've played are Double Double). I basically just look for royal cards and hold those.

If you have a set time limit with an unlimited number of hands within that time (which is how CET runs their vp tourneys), the strategy of not holding anything and just hitting the DEAL/DRAW button as fast as you can isn't an entirely bad one -- the more hands in, the better.

7. D in the D

D in the D Oldest ride, Longest Line

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious what the typical reaction to getting a royal in a video poker tournament would be. I guess it depends on how far it takes you up the payout ladder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.