1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ever Had Your Windshield Crack For No Reason ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jan 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I bought a brand new Hyundai Accent about 4.5 yrs ago.
    Not bad -- but Hyundai lied about the gas mileage -
    Drive 65 mph or more + watch your tank level drop before your eyes.
    Anyway --
    I was driving into work -- as the blizzard was starting --
    I was on the phone with my wife - telling her how bad the roads got quickly -
    as I'm speaking........I hear......"ccccrrrrack !".........
    I see a line go across the ENTIRE length of my windshield - right to left -
    3 inches from the base.
    I said, "That can't be a crack ?....why the hell, would that happen ?"
    It certainly was !
    No car in front of me - no car coming at me.....no bumps........nothing.
    WTF ?
    I have never witnessed THIS before ?
    I called my dealer --- "Get in touch with your insurance."
    I asked "Any defects I don't know about ?"
    Dealer claimed "No."
    So my defrost was on...and it was cold outside......but a crack ?....because of temperature difference ?
    Anybody ?

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sigh. My g/f has dealt with this the past month. 2011 Hyundai Tuscon. She never saw what caused the initial crack either. And once it began, nature took over with thermal expansion contraction. It went across the windshield roughly the height you described a few days ago. And you can't really feel the crack on either side. It happened internally somehow. She's getting it replaced on Monday.

3. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few months ago mine (an Acura) had a crack maybe 12 inches long. I noticed it one day driving around and just assumed that a small rock hit it while I was driving but I didn't see when it happened. It was super easy making a claim with GEICO, the Safelitee guy was at my office the next day to replace it, didn't cost me a penny.

4. Ernie Vegas

Ernie Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glass doesn't crack for no reason. 3 inches above the base is just about where the defroster air is hitting the windshield. All glass is subject to cracking when heat is introduced to cold glass. Those warm molecules start twerking against the cold ones and C R A A A C K... Most people wait until the engine temp is up to turn on the defroster fan because it is too cold to let the fan blow before, and this is the risk.

5. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see it a lot. (I'm in the auto business) sometimes it is a defect. You van argue that point with the service dept. (If you are within your warranty) if you yell loud enough they will fix it 80% of the time. It can be costly. In a Lexus a oem is 1700 in some cases. Non oem for same car, 500 or so. Have no experience with the cold weather ad I'm in California. Good luck and remember that's what insurance is for.

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the windshield already had a small crack from a rock or something.

then the temperature change and corresponding glass expansion/contraction caused it to spread.

7. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would bet if you look close you'll find a stone chip, that's why insurance company's will pay for chip repair. Saves them from buying windshields.

8. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, same experience here. I got a very small chip in my windshield and didn't get it fixed like I should have. Next winter on a really cold morning I turned the defroster on and CRACK! Coincidentally, my car is also a Hyundai.

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yupper. Just replaced a windshield a few weeks ago in fact. I guess there was a small stone chip near the edge that we never noticed. In our case it was the bottom left corner/edge. The first serious cold we had it went right across the windshield. We would have gotten it fixed if we had noticed it. Kind of sucked. Insurance paid, $50 deductible. Could have been worse.

10. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The same thing happened to me in my Toyota Solara last year. We had a cold snap and as soon as I turned on my defrost, my windshield cracked half way across. Since the cold snap was expected to last another week, I just let it go. A few days later, I was driving down the road, turned the defrost up high and it cracked all the way across. I parked the car and got my windshield fixed when the cold snap ended.

We haven't had cold like that since but I'll definitely let the car more up more before turning on the defrost.

11. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking of windshields cracking from hot vs cold

When we do get snow and ice down here I've seen people dumping hot water on their windshields in the morning because they don't have ice scrapers. Came home from work and three auto glass replacement guys were in the lot doing their thing

12. Bondy3

Bondy3 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People are actually dumb enough to throw hot water on their windshield in the cold of winter? they deserve it!

as far as a crack randomly happening in your windshield from the cold, it happens, and it happens more than you would think. you just got unlucky, not a defect in your car or anything. get in touch with insurance

13. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having spent most of my 50+ years in Sask and Alberta, putting on 60 to 100 Km per year, driving most on country roads I have seen my share of cracked windshields......but I have always had the best luck with mine to immediately turn the defrost fan speed on high as soon as you start the vehicle. Even if the air is cold, just moving it helps to defrost the windshield, and that way the windshield gradually warms up, not that sudden shot of hot air if you wait till the engine is warm. I have had to replace very few windshields in my own vehicles, but see a lot of pool driven vehicles that have cracks.
    Now that I have moved to Vancouver Island, I have another problem, it is so humid here that the water condenses on the inside of the windshield in the winter and fogs up big time! Oh well, At least I very rarely have to scrape the ice off the outside of the the windows, lol

14. fasbman

fasbman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I moved to Texas from Minnesota over 30 years ago. I still have the ice scraper I used up there. I don't use it often, but it has come in handy.

15. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Just to note --
    The crack happened after one hour of driving
    with the defroster on from the start.
    I didn't turn hot air onto it, suddenly.
    But...........it is, right where that defroster hits the windshield best.
    Low.
    I never saw a chip in the windshield - and I've been wiping it down (cleaning ) constantly.
    gotta be a defect........but I'll see what my insurance will do.

16. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

I was driving over the hill on the 405 back to the westside (packer knows what I mean) and I was hit by a pebble from a tonka trunk in front of me last week. There are three cracks in my windshield [emoji35]

17. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a chip below where I could see. After one scorching Houston afternoon. It spread. I really want to get an oem windshield but holy crap Lexus IS proud of them

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, happened to me last year. I did not hear or see it crack but I remember coming out to the lot from work and there is was, kind of a U shaped crack kind of around the rear view mirror.

The guy at the glass shop said it was probably a "heat crack" but I sure don't know exactly what caused it. It was not that terribly expensive so I did not bother doing an insurance claim.

19. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oo

Ouch

yes, cracked window no reason on a convertible.

Also seen a rear window pop out of a 68 Camaro, w/o Frame supports

Both causes:
    frame twist.

Spoilers alert!

Everything you really don't want to know:

Product: Recommend OEM Windshield glass, installed via the Vehicles OEM Process.
    On rep windows a lot of Adjusters/cheapskates (Junkyard/chuck in a truck) are using Non OEM (cheap china glass) thinner & not as good.

Installers: 2 are better than One.
    Most Remote installers are Solo,(not soo good) un even pressure on the urethane/sealer during instillation=air/water leak.
    Some newer technology for an Articulated arm for Quasi-2nd person support, better than Solo
    Best =it really takes 2 people to replace/re-install a windshield properly so it will not leak during heavy rain &
    retain the strength of the vehicle cabin.
    (a properly installed windshield/windscreen-for our Euro/UK/Aussie friends) :wave:
    helps to protect the passengers, in a collision/rollover.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.