1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any decent jobs for a young one?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Techsupport12, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techsupport12

Techsupport12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A good friend of mine just turned 15, and is currently looking for a job. I asked why not take a mainstream fast food position. He says he can, but would prefer anything different than that. We tried searching through the Internet, but the job positions were similar to the fast food chains.

Any recommendations for a young one?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked at a golf course in HS.

basically just for the free golf.

but it's certainly a lot nicer working conditions than a fast food restaurant.

3. Techsupport12

Techsupport12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's not half bad, but I think my bud would like some cash instead. What place is it, if you don't mind me asking?

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless he has friends or family able to help land a good or different job, it is most likely that all he could get would be a fast food or similar job.
    -> He probably has little to no work experience
    -> It is likely his only skills and qualifications are what he has learned in high school
    -> His availability is probably going to be limited
    -> It costs time and money to train somebody, very very rare is a company that would be willing to invest in a 15 year old when for almost any number of reasons the kid could quit and move on or be unable to continue working

For ideas: they might see if their school has a work study program (school finds student a job that they usually work part time at for 2-8 weeks to build work experience) or they might check with companies that are in fields that they are interested in and see if they can get an internship.
    You did say that they would probably like some money and while neither of those options is likely to pay anything it can get your foot in the door with the company and does give some work experience to put on the resume.

5. Techsupport12

Techsupport12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the input, I'll definitely show him this. The highschool work is most likely what he'll do.

Does the "morning paper boy" job still exist?

6. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about a lawn care company? Depending where you are, maybe snow shoveling?...............

7. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My kid sister is 16 and going on her first interview tomorrow at a pet store

One thing I've noticed in talking with her is how different it is nowadays for s teenager to land a gig. I advised to to stay away from the fast food and she's been looking pretty much everything else. Most everywhere now wants the applications done online. No interaction and attempted follow ups are met with "don't call us we will call you".

Paper routes are pretty much dead. That was my first job too before I could legally work. My first real job was in a bowling alley.

Auggie has a great suggestion about the work/study programs.

Landscaping jobs are good to get into for someone who likes outdoors. There's always room for some grunt work on a crew.

Good luck to him!

8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not a bad option if it is offered - years ago when I had a game/toy/hobby store I would take on students from the local high school for these work studies programs. I did have one kid that I had to let go after the second day, but otherwise it worked out pretty good and I didn't just plop them behind the cash register, instead showing them how to inventory, ordering, banking and shipping (as well as sales and working the cash register) so they would have some variety of skills to add to their resume.

Might depend where you live, but I don't think it does anymore - some of its just the world not being as innocent as it once was (in some areas who is going to let their 12-13 year old go out alone at 5AM to deliver papers) but I think too that it just got to where there was enough money going in to get adults interested in delivering papers and then eventually companies - atleast that is how it is around here.

9. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

Starbucks so that he can go to college for free

10. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about bagging groceries?

11. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep... If you can get in for a first job this isn't a bad gig.

Hospital jobs are good, but a lot are over 18. Trying to get my 17 year old in as an imaging assistant. $16 to start and you have an "in" if you want to got into the radiology field.

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hours and job duties are severely limited for 14 and 15 year olds. Here in Tennessee, they are limited to less than 4 hours a day and can't work more than so many hours a week (I want to say 12 or 16, but I don't keep up with the that part in my company.) They are also limited to basic manual labor. No fryers, knives, no cash register, etc. When they turn 16 though, a lot of the limitations are lifted.

At this time of year, he may need to call around and just ask if that place hires 15 year olds.

13. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here in FL Publix is huge grocery chain that hires a ton of high school kids.

14. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heyyyy Burnaby. Just moved to Coquitlam. But I agree. Adults only with cars who deliver my two newspapers (Vancouver Sun and Province) every morning about 4 am? Would never let my son out alone at that time. I have e-papers but I still like print to do my sudokus and crosswords. My EX neighbour who had a business in Lawn Care, would have hired my 15 year old, but because of their schedule, he needed his own transportation. You may be called to one jobsite while on another, then land your day lets say 50 K away from the original jobsite, and he still needs a ride home.

15. pultzar

pultzar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A pizza shop, especially mom and pops types, often hire teenagers. Usually it's the person who makes the non pizza food.

16. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i reffed hockey, and washed cars at a dealership. i would look into bussing tables at a restaurant, grocery store, gas station

17. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  18. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if he's located in the upper Midwest I saw a sign the other day that Menard's is hiring 14-16yr olds, that's not too bad of an unskilled labor job for a teen

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  19. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I worked retail as a teen in department stores. way better then fast food.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At 16 I did fabrication and warehousing for industrial ceramics and insulation.
    At 17 I bussed and then waited tables at the dog track.
    At 18 I copped an attitude and effed off, and then worked at a ski shop.
    At 19 A bud and I ran a ski shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.