1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

whats everyones experience going thru Terminal 3 TSA

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bkoelsch, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkoelsch

bkoelsch Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying with Frontier for the first time and will experience Terminal 3. Since we have to fly out of vegas at 6:15 am, i was curious on what others had for wait times for TSA going to the D gates. Extremely long, average, etc. we leave vegas wednesday jan 13. Getting to Terminal 3 90 min early a good idea or is that overkill.

2. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No such thing as overkill nowadays I'm afraid.Better to be bored at the gate than stuck in a TSA line imo..

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last flight was with United and I had to go through T3 security to get to my gate. This was a Tuesday morning about 10am and they were woefully understaffed. It took about 30+ minutes to snake through the line. I typically leave my hotel about 2 hours before my flight and I felt like I needed every minute of it that day.

4. bkoelsch

bkoelsch Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Appreciate the input...

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About 15 minutes or so for us for the two times we flew Frontier last year. Late Tuesday afternoon both times.

Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
  6. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No bad experiences here. Flew out multiple times last year back to Cincy. Monday morning peak times - 30 mins, Sunday night redeye - 10 mins, Tuesday afternoon - 20 mins.
    I think if your doing a major holiday weekend or event in Vegas you need to be aware. TSA was listing security checkpoint times on the internet as well.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/wait_times_home.aspx

I have always found Vegas has their shit together much better
    than other airports in the US.

7. 4wm

4wm Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew out of T3 this past September my flight was at 6:45 PM and only had a 10 minute wait to clear security.

8. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not directly related to terminal 3, but taking an average of my last 50 or so TSA lines (that ounces quite glamorous. It isn't) I have never waited more than 40 minutes to get through anywhere in the US. Exclude Newark from that average as that's the most incompetent airport I have ever seen but usually your wait will be at check in / bag drop. If you can check in online the queue for bag drop will be quick.

My general rule of thumb is to get to the airport 60-90 mins before a narrow body jet flight and 90-120 mins before a wide body jet flight (the latter will obviously have a longer queue for bag drop and check in) but after that TSA is pretty standard.

I fly quite a lot so I have more confidence now than I used to (when I'd turn up four hours early for a regional flight). I may even miss a plane one day but until then I'd rather keep cutting down my arrival lead-time.

What I would advise is that you shouldn't listen to anyone who says "leave early because so and so event is ending and the airport will be busy". I have come to realize that it doesn't make any difference as long as the airport is within capacity. All those people go to different airlines and gates and TSA people and it doesn't really make any difference. Don't confuse that with "busy periods" though. Those exist, such as Sunday afternoons.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I have jet-lag and I was hoping to bore myself to sleep.

9. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew United (term 3) so many times, mostly earlier morning before 7am.
    Never had issue with TSA line, longest probably 15 minutes.

But after 9am, it's a different story.

10. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never seen a short line at LAS. My last trip in November on a monday afternoon had TSA lines about 400 deep, with about 3 screening lanes open. (terminal 3) Absolute nightmare. I have TSA precheck so i breezed through.. Highly recommend it for anyone.

11. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out of termnal 3 every 4-6 weeks. I have a nexus card, so I use the pre check line. There has never been more than a few people in line. My flights go out of D gate. I find D gate more of an annoyance than security.

12. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really recent, my experience was 12/18/2015. TSA didn't take long at all. Only waited around 10-15 minutes or so which was the entire process. I arrived 3 hours early, which was around 2:45pm or so.

13. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very fast no long waits on a Sunday afternoon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.