1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Star Wars -- spoilers. Stay away if you haven't seen it

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Terry Benedict, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw The Force Awakens on Christmas night.

I enjoyed it. I think it turned out to be quite an action movie. After I thought about it, I realized how much it was like Episode IV.

I do have a question about Rey, though. Do you think she is Luke's daughter, somehow? Is she a Jedi's daughter? Why is the Force strong with her?

2. Jer

Jer “The Walrus has spoken”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, episode IV.2

Luke's daughter, Hans daughter, just another Jedi baby with no father like Anakin. Anakin reborn has been the most crazy theory I have heard...

The thing that sucked was that Harrison Ford finally got his wish granted...

Good flick though. Wonder where they take it next.

3. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was just a remake of the first Star Wars movie. I don't see what the fuss is about.

4. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rumor going around is she is possibly Obi Wan's kid or Luke's child. but she is definitely born from a jedi

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think she's Luke's daughter. It's clear that Kylo Ren knows who she is from the beginning as he's more concerning with "the girl" even though she hasn't shown any force powers yet. Also I feel like Han gives a knowing glance as well. And then the flashback scene when she is called to Luke's lightsaber, maybe Luke had to split from his baby mama to train Jedi and something goes down and Rey is abandoned on Jakku. She clearly has some repressed memories.

Also, why is it that Finn has the sudden realization that the First Order is evil and no other storm troopers? Perhaps they will give more back story on him in the next movie.

6. djcoach

djcoach Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they said that the voice calling Rey during the flashback is Ewan McGregor's which is more fuel to the Obi Wan link. He came in especially to record that so there may be something to it...

7. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They pulled the word Ray/Rey from something Alec Guinness said and paired it with Ewan McGregor's phrase for that scene.

8. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought the movie was a disappointment from the story telling side. It was clear JJ Abrams played it safe by recycling much of Episode 4 plot structure into this movie. I think he knew die hard Star Wars fans would eat it up.
    The story clipped along at a ridiculous pace and alot of characters showed up at convenient moments. The whole Han and Chewie arriving and the Millennium Falcon just being on Jakku was kinda a bullshit plot line weakly explained
    so they could pair them up with Rey and Finn. We don't get any backstory on the Resistance. Rey getting her Force powers so quickly. Hell it took Obi Wan giving Luke a few lessons, and how would Rey know to do a mind trick so quickly?

Did she get an awaking of her powers by touching the lightsaber? Had she been force trained before? Disney easily could have added 20 mins to ensure a well formed story but instead they opt'd to ensure the run time of the movie allowed for maximum showings.

Now on to the plus side, the special effects were great, the shots of the Falcon flying over Jakku incredible, and the lightsaber battles believable. Kylo Ren makes for a pretty interesting villian and Supreme Leader Snokes as a mysterious character who is exploiting his apprentice. I fully believe that Rey is Lukes daughter, Finn could be the lost child of Lando, and BB8 makes a great replacement for R2D2.

9. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would Finn be the lost child of Lando? Just because they are the only two black people in the galaxy?

10. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Basically so they can tie back to the old trilogy and keep everyone happy in the Star Wars universe. The children of former rebels fighting against evil. Besides JJ loves to have a reason to introduce old characters.

11. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget Mace Windu.

12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol.

And good catch Bayou with Mace Windu. "Samuel Jackson Beer, It'll getcha' drunk! Mmm mmm, bitch!" [emoji481]

I also felt that they wrote some cheesy lines for Finn that tried to remind the audience that he is black. He did a decent fake American accent though.

English accents can be sexy though. I think Daisy Ridley will be a new "it girl" thanks to this movie, and I thought she had a very strong performance.

13. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Droid please!

14. StingerHook

StingerHook High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't consider myself a Star Wars "nut" at all, but I've seen it twice already and thoroughly enjoyed it. All I wanted from the movie was for it to be fun - mission accomplished.

Now, with that said, I do enjoy the plot conversations/theories, so the following are some questions I've seen discussed along with corresponding theories/points that I like:

Who are Rey's parents? - I think she's got Skywalker blood in her. My favorite off-the wall theory is that Obi-Wan had a daughter along the way at some pont, with whom Luke then had Rey [which would in theory make her ultra-loaded with the Force]

How does Rey suddenly start using the Force so well?: It wouldn't surprise me if we learn that she was part of the "new generation of Jedi" that Luke was training before Kylo Ren wiped them out, and that Luke hid her on Jakku as a safeguard the moment he suspected that Kylo Ren might 'turn'. That provides her with previous experience using the force (to some degree) that was probably suppressed (for her protection) before she was sent to Jakku. I expect we'll learn a lot more about her childhood pre-Jakku in Episode VIII.

What's Finn's origin?: Really interested to see how they explain Finn suddenly snapping out of his 'programming' and making decisions for himself. I don't think he's connected to Mace Windu; someone pointed out that the First Order surely would have detected a high midochlorian count in his blood during his programming into a stormtrooper. The idea that he could be related to Lando is interesting.

In Episode VIII, I hope we'll get more explanation on the backstories of Kylo Ren and Rey (as well as Finn, though if he stays in a coma that wouldn't be as pressing haha). Would also really like to see the Knights of Ren involved somehow, as I think that would provide a nice change of pace from the Darkside's one Master/one Apprentice structure.

15. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the Finn to Lando connection, Lando was known to be a smuggler and gamblers similar to Han. Perhaps Lando had a debt to settle with the First Order and they took his son. So maybe since he wasn't truly programmed since birth he had a little bit of human in his sub-conscience.

16. Fish Tacos

Fish Tacos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What if Rey is Kylo Ren's half-sister? With Leia being the mom after she and Solo separated?

17. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in love with Daisy already!

The movies was awesome, seen it twice first without kid so I can enjoy without bathroom breaks etc.. and to prepare to explain to him any questions he has. Cannot wait until the next one.

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking that but I can't see Leia not acknowledging her when they met. I also think Rey was old enough to remember her parents when they left her so I would have expected her to somehow know them if she saw them again. I wouldn't rule out an Kenobi connection. But is it a given that she must be part of a bloodline we know?

As for Finn, I think making him Lando's son would be an extreme reach.

Personally I enjoyed it. Yes, there are a lot of parallels between it and Episode IV but I still think it's was great. I can see a lot of parallels between Creed and Rocky yet Creed is still one of the best movies this year. I think the next one will be Rey and Ren undergoing training, with a lot of focus on Luke.

19. Badger31

Badger31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a life-long Star Wars fan, let me just say how cool it was to share this experience with my son. We watched all 6 Star Wars movies (he had never seen them before) leading up to this movie. He LOVED them. Needless to say, he loved Episode VII also. I too wasn't crazy about the story, but it was an entertaining movie and I can't wait for Episode VIII. I thought JJ Abrams did a phenomenal job from a movie making perspective. The prequels felt out of place...this felt like an original Lucas Star Wars movie.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.