1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I cant believe this ,but I guess it shouldnt surprise me.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Story on NJ.COM. If everybody in NJ addicted to heroin and opiates were sent to live in one place it would be the states 4th. largest city. 128,000.Does this touch on politics >> Delete it if it offends anyone.

2. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since heroin is also an opiate, one might question the statement's accuracy. People who make such claims as the above generally say they are doing it to raise awareness. The effect, however, is to scare people. Do we need to be scared more than we already are?

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, opioids ,read the story and evaluate it . It disgusts me ,doesnt really scare me.

4. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not scared, and I don't think Bardolator is either, but he presents an interesting topic. Nobody has the goal of scaring Americans, but the shock factor= ratings, legislation and the like. The sad thing is that many Americans buy into the hype. In the mid-late 80's, gun violence in NYC, Detroit, LA etc was out of control... The numbers are scary... 2,000 gun deaths per year in NYC and 1,500 in Detroit.... In 2015, we're at a fraction of that, but the media hype machine is at an all time high.

The bottom line is that we live in a very safe country, and experience pockets of violence. It's the holiday season, so we should enjoy good company and smile! Life is too damned short to live worried.

Nick:beer:

5. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw an article a couple years ago-- it was from a medical journal/magazine that the U. S consumes more than 90% of all the Hydrocodone produced in the world. There is a big abuse/addiction in this country. It is not scary it is pathetic.

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My biggest takeaway from that is that NJ does not have many big cities. 100k in a state of 9 million, and only 3 cities bigger?

One could argue that the word 'other' belonged in there, but it still works.

The bigger issue is that when they count this, they are counting things like painkiller addictions. And while those things are a problem and should in some way be counted, they are not the image that comes to mind when you lump them in with heroine use.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just because someone is addicted to oxy, or even heroin, doesn't make them a bad person.

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might be a loose definition of "addicted".

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are mostly farmers.

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats funny,hey dont forget clam diggers,strippers and pizza chefs.

11. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I prefer Strippers with college degrees !
    Addiction is not life.

12. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OxyContin and Oxycodone are prescription meds. If a person becomes an addict as the result of a medical procedure, then yeah, I would agree.

If they chose to procure oxy's or heroin illegally and then not surprisingly become addicted, then they bear the responsibility, and in the eyes of the law and civilization at large, they are criminals and junkies. Criminally obtained illegal drug use (We're not talking archaic drug laws on weed) kinda does make them "bad people". They're not victims.

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a family member who became addicted to Oxycontin prescribed after a major surgery. Instead of helping him, the doctors just cut him off and refused to refill his rx anymore. Guess what he did next? Yup... found another way to get opiates in his body to fill the craving. He's in prison now, but I guess he's finally detoxed off the drugs. His family is ruined. His children are scarred. His wife is devastated. Some other members of our family have decided his a "drug addict" and therefore all this is his fault, so they won't help out.

I try not to judge people for their choices. I mean, I have't always made the best decisions in my own life, so who am I to decide what's best for someone else? I just wish people had a bit more compassion for our fellow humans instead of rushing to judgement and ridicule.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well stated. Anonymous arm-chairing is cheap and quick, and as such you get that for which you are paying.

15. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with several posters here that such figures are virtually meaningless because of all the different opium-based or synthesized substances that could be included and the loose usage of "addicted" in the statement. The number itself is most likely extrapolated from what could be an inaccurate sample as well. I disagree that no one wants us scared. I think lots of people prefer us to be scared. Fear is a huge factor in decision making, and generally results in bad decisions. Such nebulous statements as the one in the first post are often made for just that purpose.

Yes, one should read the entire article, but how often does the average TV watcher hear a scary sound bite that was either misinterpreted by the reporter or not even attributed? And if such a statement feeds into our prejudices, will we even bother to examine it?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll tell you one thing, you wouldn't believe the number of people out there that do drugs. and I'm not talking your typical person that looks like a druggie. I happened to be at a bar and mentioned that I had had a kidney stone and they gave me hydrocorderone pills and never took them, I was practically besieged with people wanting them, telling me they can get $20 a pill and will give me $10, asking for their friends, etc, it was scary, these people didn't look like druggies.

Cocaine is rampant out there, pot is everywhere, meth is still big, and it's not just kids in their 20's, lots of them are in their 40's and 50's.

When I say they're not all bad people it's because they're your neighbors, you just dont know it.

17. NickPapageorgio

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely zero doubt. Drugs are everywhere. Small town America is not and never has been immune. Anywhereville just hides it better than Detroit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.