1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Laundry suggestions

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by miked002, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miked002

miked002 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello fellow VMBers,

The wife and I have a wonderful trip planned over Christmas to Las Vegas. We arrive on 12/18 at the Aria (based on recommendations from here) and stay for six nights. Then we switch hotels and stay at Caesar's Palace for four nights.

The trip is a little longer than our normal trips. We would like to bring clothes for around 5 days and then do laundry in the middle of trip.

Any suggestions on the best way to do laundry. We will most likely be at the Aria (sky suites) when we want to do laundry.

Thanks.

2. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will you have a car? The couple places I've used require a car or cab ride each way. I've also used the Circus Circus campground laundry but I don't think that's open anymore.

Edit: @ 1801 Tropicana (Spencer and Trop) is a 24 hr Laundromat. In the same strip mall is Badger Cafe and Rum Runners bar. Both are good places to hang out while clothes dry. There is a bus stop right in front.

TomTWI

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  3. miked002

miked002 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the response. We will not have a car, but taking a cab should be easy.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10 changes of underwear take no space. Since most folks stay pretty clean in Vegas, wearing pants or shirts more than one day is not difficult.

Just a thought.

5. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I come to LV for 10-14 days. If I come for 10 days I can fit all of stuff into an overhead roll-on and no laundry needed. If I come for 14 days I do laundry. I rent a car during my stay and just drive over to the laundromat at the SE corner of Tropicana and Eastern (near the airport). It's in a plaza with a $1 store next door and I can buy laundry detergent for a buck. (I give the left over to someone in the laundromat that looks like a local. Easy-peasy! 2 hours later I'm set for the second week.
    If I didn't have a car, I would take out 2 outfits and send them off to the hotel cleaners. It will cost as much as renting a car but you can 'send it and forget it'. I would pack 10 pair of underwear and socks. I wear a button-down shirt with a t-shirt twice and then once by itself before it's trashed so for 10 days I need 7 t-shirts and 3 button-downs.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I was staying 9 days plus, I would do laundry mid trip. But, laundry mid trip for 7 days? I don't do that anymore. We did it a few times though. I'm not sitting in my glass house throwing rocks. It's not so much a cost thing as a hassle thing. I have used a random laundry place on Tropicana, on Flamingo and the Wizard of Suds by the Palms. They were all fine. Nothing bad to say about them.

I rethought our packing and luggage habits. I bring a travel size Febreze, tide to go pen, hang stuff up, bring more tops than bottoms etc. I count each day and then 1 extra for spills. We usually each have a 21 inch carry on and 1 shared bigger suitcase that's checked. But, we have done a shorter trip with 1 carry on and that 1 suitcase. Or both carry-ons and no suitcase. It depends on the airline's pricing and policies to be honest with you. For the record, my husband brings more outfits than I do. It's important to bring a few different pairs of shoes/sandals so your feet don't kill you. Even the best shoes will start to wear the same spot. That and they don't get a chance to really air out those few hours in the room without your feet in them.

Threads like this always bring out the Captain Commando MacGyver's who claim to be able to do a 2 week trip in Vegas with nothing more than dryer lint and 1 pair of shorts. Irritates the crap out of me. But, I digress.

Good luck, have a good time no matter what you decide. There's no wrong way to do it. Unless you're doing it wrong.

7. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Stu said and a few others. By the way, LOVE your trip. I too am a long trip person. Upcoming trip is 9 nights.

I am a woman whose cosmetics (liptsticks, eye shadows, face creams, etc. etc.) still take up too much space and I am traditionally an over packer but have learned how to pack for Vegas for 9 nights. The key -- and this is KEY for your spouse -- is limiting the shoes. (I say wife not you as women love their shoes.) I know it seems like work but I pack a couple of those small travel packs of woolite or sometimes use hotel shampoo and pack a few plastic clips if I want to wash sometime and hang it overnight; it's dry in the am. I usually pack these items thinking I am going to work out every day so I pack two sets of gym clothes and socks and figure I will wash those out and hang them up. It has probably been years since I have worked out more than twice in a 9 day trip. LOL. I justify it by saying walking up and down the strip does it.

In any case, I tend to pack black clothes with white and a color and even though I pack more lightly than I used to do -- which is still probably more than many on this board but a small enough amount that I don't have to check luggage -- I still find myself wearing the same two pair of pants and the same couple of sweaters or wool tops (ones that would require dry cleaning) so I just spray some febreeze and hang them up. I mix the v-neck sweaters with t-shirts and might one day wear the sweater without the t-shirt underneath and another day with the t-shirt so now I just have a dirty t-shirt to take back home.

In the rare instance where I have actually worn just about everything I've packed (that's happened maybe once in years) and I really do need to launder say some lingerie or a white cotton blouse, I have splurged and used hotel laundry. Yeah, it's not inexpensive but I still smile when I think about sending a few pieces of lingerie to the wynn laundry and having it return that day on the shelf of my closet in my room, in a box and wrapped in tissue paper. I have a vague recollection of it costing me maybe 25 bucks (for 3 or 4 pieces of underwear and a cotton blouse that was washed and pressed) but the experience upon witnessing a perfectly pressed blouse hanging in my closet and taking my underwear out of the tissue paper was priceless. And it took about 2 minutes to put it in a bag, mark the laundry sheet and put by the door. I think I got the charges comped off at the end of my stay anyway.

8. miked002

miked002 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the suggestion. And a few of you nailed it. I would be fine with 10 pairs of underwear and doubling up a few things. The wife not so much. Flowers, not sure she has learned the shoes lesson yet, but she is pretty active in a typical day Las Vegas vacation day. She works out every morning, has casual clothes for the day, then we typically get dressed up for a nice show or dinner at least half the nights. We will most likely either use the Aria laundry service or put things in a laundry bag and have an adventure finding a laundry mat.

Not to change the topic too much, but we enjoy trying foodie type restaurants on our trip. We have eaten at most of the places in the Aria and our favorites are JG, Sage, Javier's.

So far for this trip we have reservations for Rao's (my favorite), NOBU, JG, CUT, and Guy Savoy (Christmas dinner). Any suggestions for other foodie type restaurants that we may like. Would like to try a new place or two.

9. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dream about a trip long enough to need to do laundry. My bank account does not

10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Julian Serrano at Aria - I was amazed at how good their tapas were
    Tao at Venetian - miso-glazed Chilean sea bass is still one of my favorite dishes in Vegas second to a few steak places
    You have CUT and JG already there for steakhouses and twice is probably good enough for a 10-night stay; otherwise I'd suggest SW at Wynn; I'd also suggest Stripsteak at MB or BLT at Bally's (both places I've been to more than once and love), but I've read more inconsistencies on this website for those places
    I would also suggest Joel Robuchon or his "a little less formal" L'Atelier at MGM, but I see that you have Guy Savoy as your meal for the utmost in decadence.

11. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aria has a laundry service. No need to rent a car or take a cab to a laundry mat.

12. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't you find they overdo the starch at Joel Robuchon?

13. acccrow

acccrow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Think of the ripe possibilities for farce if Thomas Keller opened a French Laundry on LVB.

14. jjones2

jjones2 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought I've seen some suites on YouTube that have the stackable washer and dryers in the units,if you staying in a suite I would ask if you don't have a car.

15. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if Aria has any suites with a washer and dryer, but Vdara has a bunch of suites (everything except for the entry level deluxe/studio suite) with washer/dryers in suite. Cosmo Wraparound suite also has a washer and dryer as well.

16. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree... Just suck it up and pay the extra $$ ... I can't imaging hanging out in a laundrymat while on vacation...

17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anybody used the hotel laundry services recently? I can't remember using it myself for decades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.