1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's your secret to falling asleep on the plane??

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by in4mation808, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aside from me being extremely hateful and fear flying, I can't seem to fall asleep on them either. Well, I can doze off for a good 15-30 minutes, but afterward, I'm up.

Taking the red eye to Vegas soon from Honolulu. It's a 5.5 hour flight leaving at 10pm. I'm working a full 8-hour day that day. Hopefully that in itself will make me sleep.

2. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's a physiological type of thing. Some people have no problem falling asleep in a chair, others need perfect quiet, no light and their own pillow...and everything in between. I'm one of those that can fall asleep on a chair. I don't mind flying as much now and can sleep for a couple of hours on any flight if I'm sleepy and there's no turbulence. But I used to be "extremely hateful and fear flying." Back then I would take 10mg of valium and a couple of drinks on the plane. It worked, but that was just me. Of course, that could lead to you getting kicked off of the flight in today's atmosphere.

3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones and eyeshades. I used to be very good at airplane napping and I'm not anymore. I think we're too squished in to sleep anymore. But, whatever, anyway, try that.

4. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never sleep on a plane, someone has to be awake at all times. It's a rule! Wish it wasn't always me though.

5. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2 Advil PM's one hour before boarding does the trick for me. Valium is even better though

6. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Half Ambien, half Xanax. One Vodka.

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate flying as well. So... I get on the plane sleep deprived. That way I miss most of the flight.

Bill

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew about over 50k miles in 2015; mostly business travel. I'm an excellent sleeper but I'm put to shame by the people on the flights with me. Flying gives me a bit of anxiety and an Adrenalin rush that makes it hard to sleep but my fellow flyers seem to have no trouble sleeping on red eyes 30 minutes after we take off. As shown above, it's drugs. Sleeping in the fancy business class pods is not hard but in the coach seats it's not easy. The pods are awesome but thankfully my work pays for them.

9. freez111

freez111 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i dont even try anymore but i have been told...one benydryl and one cocktail and the flight attendant is waking you up in las vegas!

never tried it but...please consult your physician before any attemnpt!!! disclaimer

10. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually don't sleep on the plane. Normally I am a light sleeper and have a hard time falling asleep. I downloaded an app on my iphone that has relaxation music and sounds. I combine a thunderstorm and ocean waves and it really helps put me to sleep. The only time I ever fell asleep I asked my husband not to wake me unless I was snoring, drooling, or God forbid farting. -- I started snoring and he woke me up. Most men don't care about the above. We women are different.

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just close my eyes and try not to think that i am in a metal tube. 300 feet long, hurtling through and endless expanse of space over and equally endless expanse of ocean. knowing that if something should go wrong and i somehow would survive falling from this insane height that i would alone, at night, in the vast and never ending pacific ocean. i take solace knowing that the average depth is abut 10,000 feet and while floating around that i am probably more alone then anyone else on the planet has ever been.

i try not to let these things enter my mind but i do keep in mind that these planes have flown 100's of thousands of miles and the slightest hole or tear in the fuselage could suck me and my other passengers out even the smallest hole. of course that might not happen but what might happen is some sort of explosive decompression where our ears not only pop but our eyes as well as all our our internal organs. that could happen but i try to relax and not think of that.

instead i choose to think about kittens and just close my eyes and sleep.

12. mdlee3_46041

mdlee3_46041 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not afraid of flying or anything like that so I'm sure it's different for me. I used to be able to fall asleep easily on a plane, but I could never sleep for long. For instance, I'd doze off shortly after takeoff and be awake again by the time the flight attendants were starting drink service. I finally bought myself a neck pillow and started sleeping for longer periods on the plane. Still only maybe an hour and a half or 2 hours, but that's better than what I used to do.

13. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, thought that was only me. Someone has to watch the wings...

14. irmster

irmster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10 hour daytime flight from London - forget about sleeping. I pretty much stay up 30 hours from getting up in the morning on the day of my flight to going to bed in Vegas sometime when the sun is coming up the following morning. Only in Vegas.....

15. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a problem napping on planes. I wouldn't call it a full sleep, but I can nap.

One thing that helps me is listening to hypnosis recordings on my iphone. Typically there will be a relaxing introduction and then some sort of hypnosis part, but you can get them with a sleep program. It may not put you to sleep but you'll relax and zone out a bit.

16. DavidR82

DavidR82 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is incredibly difficult for me to fall asleep on the plane as well. I've adjusted this and most of my flights have been in early morning or early afternoon from East coast, I just stay up pounding drinks on the plane! For the occasional late evening flight when I wanted to get some rest after working all day, I have used sleepytime tea right before arriving at the airport and I have popped a melatonin while picking up my tickets. By the time it takes effect I have just boarded the plane and put my headphones on with low music and just pass out.

If you cant sleep there is nothing wrong with taking it easy your first night. Get checked into your room, grab a bite to eat and just take a nap so that you will enjoy your next full day.

17. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't, no way. I have to be prone. But I'm thinking drugs are the answer( as above ambien etc.) I'm okay to Vancouver to Vegas as it's only 2:20 hour flight. But longer early morning or red eyes across the continent, I totally envy the chair sleepers.

18. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I fly with work I have no problem sleeping, but it's usually short flights (up to 1.5 hours) so getting a nap for 30-45 minutes is fine.

When I fly on vacation then I have more of an issue sleeping, probably due to the excitement. My last trip to Vegas I managed to get to sleep before take-off for 30 mins and then couldn't get to sleep for the next 9 hours. Although I think next long haul flight I'll try an eye mask and see if that helps.

19. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't. I am lucky if I doze for five minutes. The one time I did really start to sleep, the person next to me kept poking, probably over drink service. I've tried Nyquil, maybe I will try a sleep med next time.

20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to try the neck pillow thing. I'm too chicken to try pills and booze. Maybe some weed and a couple beers, but then I'll have to pee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.