1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Triple play vp question

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by oldschoolvegas, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldschoolvegas

oldschoolvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are 3 separate decks used? I hold 1 card and its held for all 3 hands. Is that card then pulled from the other 2 decks? Are the decks reshuffled and throws out the next 4 cards from each? I,m asking because yesterday I discarded all the cards and drew 5 new ones and got a royal on the middle hand. Wondering how it actually works.

2. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One deck.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3 separate decks. Not reshuffled in the sense you mean.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The five cards initially dealt to you are removed from being able to be drawn because you can't get the same card twice in one hand.

Then any of the remaining 47 cards are available to be drawn for the first drawing hand. Then those cards are restored for the next drawing hand and reshuffled through the random number generator as every hand has the same full, shuffled 47-card "stub" to draw from and any particular card has a probability of 1/47 of appearing in any given position.

You can get the same card in different hands, in games like 100-play, that has to happen sometimes since there are only 47 cards available to draw.

Congrats on the redraw royal! That's really rare since you don't discard 5 very often and dealt royals are hard enough! For non-wild games, it's roughly a 1 in 15 million event.

5. oldschoolvegas

oldschoolvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The more non-royal cards you remove from the deck, the better the chances to get a royal.

Don't know where Trig is getting the 15million to 1 probability.

7. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking at the overall probability of both events occurring.

event 1: discarding all 5 cards
    event 2: drawing a royal flush from the 47 card stub (which is either 1 in 383,485 or 1 in 511,113 if you discarded a Ten)

It's closer to 1 in 14 million hands seen actually

http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/video-poker/10231-random-jacks-or-better-fact/

8. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I imagine Tring mike dropping after his math was questioned!

9. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol

Nothing wrong with questioning some things. I've goofed before and will goof again. I wasn't overly clear at first on with that estimate on the redraw royal.

I like to write out the math a lot though, so people can see what's going on, even if most will overlook it.

More steps is usually better than less steps. I do notice I get the last word in many VP threads though. [emoji5]

10. azbob

azbob MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We play the triple machine all the time and have never been dealt the royal, but my wife also got one on a five card redraw...very lucky.

I keep track of how many times we draw the fourth card when we are dealt three of a kind (DD, triple play). It appears the odds are about 24:1. That is not 24 hands that is 24 times dealt three of a kind on a triple machine. We have gone one for 29 before in drawing the fourth card.

Does this line up with the odds you calculate. 24:1 would translate to 72 separate hands of three of a kind.

11. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In converting dealt three of a kind to quads? The probabilities on the draw end up being the same as standard VP.

2/47 = 1 in 23.5 or 22.5 to 1.

If you're only converting at a 1 in 25 rate (24 to 1), you're running a bit bad. How many trips have you counted up total?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.