1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I Can't Attend 3 Work Related Christmas Parties !.....Lucky ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I guess, I'm lucky !
    My wife's work schedule interferes with these parties.
    I'm not sure I'd go, anyway......I live an hour away + I see
    these people 40 hrs a week = years + years.........give me a break !
    However,
    One party is my Union party.
    They want a list of "shows" or "no shows" ----
    My feeling is..........
    "I'm paying for this ( dues ), whether I show or not......cook me a dinner plate ! -
    I'm payin' for the damn thing, anyway ! !" :rolleyes2:
    So, I said "I'm showing."
    I couldn't possibly attend !............"Now, get your Shine Box !" :evillaugh
    How's your wonderful Holiday Party schedule ?

2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cant stand these affairs and used to do anything I could to get out of them. Partying with the boss is never my idea of fun.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're a funny guy

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wouldnt drive an hour to attend any work stuff unless it's a funeral for one of the old guys I respected. Friday night we'll be ho-ho-hoing in AC. They offered us Sat. night compted also ,but I'm not sure I can handle both nights Maybe?

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the people I work with (work travel is almost always much more fun when traveling with co-workers) I have a business trip to Beijing starting Saturday and will miss our work holiday party (next Wednesday) and am bummed. I missed it due to travel last year too. At least I was here for our Thanksgiving potluck (that's my favorite party of the year).

Guess this sort of thing varies for each of us......

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always enjoyed the company holiday party until they cut out the alcohol. Liability issues because they were held on the premises we were told. I never attended another one.

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of this hinges on the age and marital status of the participant.

Night time office party without wife. Are you out of your frickin' mind? Depends on how good or bad your marriage.

Union Parties? These always breakdown into all debacles of debauchery. Count on at least one bloody fist fight. Depends on how tight you are or are not with the ball and chain.

Myself? I didn't go to the night time ones. I used to and they were fun, but everything gets old, especially when the 25 year old Navy chick who I thought I was going to boogie with, said goodnight at the door. Daytime ones at an off campus restaurant? Yes, I went and after the jokes and the Mongoleses gift exchange, I'm out of there. No lingering at the bar.

One whole chapter of my biography could be devoted to work-related parties and all of the attendant bullshit.

8. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Company parties in Las Vegas are fun. I make it a goal to get invited to Las Vegas holiday parties the resorts throw for staff. They're over the top. The food, drinks and prizes are awesome.

Bill

9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That Rocks!

10. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes - and it's free! Staff can typically invite a guest. So... make friends with those singles you know working at resorts. Or, find out who has a spouse that can't make it. Staff don't care - it doesn't cost them anything to get a guest in.

Bill

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess attending any sort of company party is relative to how much you like the attendees and the culture of your employer. My first job was with a small company, no them vs. us, it was "we", so I enjoyed the annual Christmas party.

For my last job, I worked out of my home, the main office was 8 hours away and my boss was about two hours away, we never had a Christmas party. Just as well, I began to despise the company and my boss, so this would have been a downer during a joyful time of year. After a couple of drinks, I may have told my boss to go sh!t in his hat and pull it over his ears.

In a couple of days, I'm meeting up with 6 guys I've known from High School for our annual Christmas dinner. One from our group passed away a couple of years ago, so it kind of puts things in perspective. Make the best of it while you're alive.

12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Reading some of the posts ---
    Reminds me of THEE BEST Christmas party was when I worked
    at a restaurant ( I was single / had a girlfriend + in my twenties ).
    The owner would "open bar" for Christmas Eve !.....everybody would do the Family Thing -
    and then head to the bar. It was for employees only.....anything you wanted to drink.
    A co-worker told me "We're drinking cognac, tonight !"
    I never drank it before.........and NEVER again !......I had a hangover for 2 days !
    WOW !...was I sick !
    Great party !.....tee-hee

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A workmate and colleague of mine through many years went to his office party Wednesday. He was one of 14 who now never will have to be "bothered" by another work holiday gathering.

There have been so many gripes of late here. And I'm not virginal in this regard. It is all so fucking and totally asinine, petty.

Enjoy life while you have it, people. It's not really that hard to do. Not hard at all.

14. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amen to that.

Bill

15. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That puts things in proper perspective.

I've been lucky to work with people that I like a lot for the past 30 years. I can't imagine getting up each morning to work with people that I didn't like.

16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely right Ken. Folks, be thankful you have invites or choices... a lot of people in this world don't.

17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, guys.

18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well put, Ken. If we become afraid, then they win.

19. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Timely post. I work for a broadcaster but the studio is a satellite studio. Today was the "Mingle" for the various engineers. I didn't go, partially because it's a pain to go when I have work to get done and also I feel out of place. This coming Monday is the party for the main show we do. I'm not going for a couple of reasons. One is I am off next week and I view work parties as work. Two is that I know that at these parties everyone talks to the people they work with and not to the people they don't. I can do that every day of the week. A free drink ain't worth it.

On the 21st I'm taking the guys that I manage out for lunch. That will be good.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. That wasn't really the point, though. You are correct, Breeze, that we need to do what we do in that regard, but the point here was simply contextual as to what we all so commonly gripe about on a daily basis, and then BAM, something shows it to be petty and self-serving and totally silly. A commonly used send-up here -- First World problems -- seems apt but doesn't really get all the way there in this regard.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.