1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Review: The Million Dollar Quartet

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by DaiLun, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Million Dollar Quartet" was based on true events that occurred on December 4, 1956. A lady friend asked me if I remembered the events from memory and I scolded her for making me remember how old I was . . . . . .

You have to enjoy the music of that era to really like this show. I was sitting next to an Asian family and the daughter was clearly not into it. All the performers play their own instruments and sing.

It details a meeting of Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, and Johnny Cash at Sam Phillips' Sun Recording studios. <-corrected - Thanks to EagleJohn for catching that

There is a female singer that was added as Elvis' girlfriend that he brought to the session, but in real life, she was a dancer and didn't sing.

The music was a sampling of each of the artist's hits. The story line followed the actual events that spurred on this meeting. Elvis' contract being sold to RCA, Johnny Cash's/Carl Perkins' migration to Columbia records, Jerry Lee Lewis joining Sun records.

Conclusion:

If you like 50's rock, are a fan of any of the singers portrayed in this show, or just have an extra CET Diamond /7* ticket to use, go see this show. It's a 90 minute show, and although I sat in the third row, I didn't see anything that would have required sitting that close.

I thought it was a good show however, I'm not that much a fan of the music to purchase a ticket.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  2. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sam Phillips (not Sam Perkins)

3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, you are correct.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen this twice now, in Chicago at the Apollo, and in Las Vegas at Harrah's. Both casts were great!

If you loved Jersey Boys, you would probably like this one too. It's very entertaining and really rocks out!

There are a few minor historical inaccuracies, but those do not spoil the show at all!

5. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the review DaiLun. If I didn't read your review, I would have wasted my 90 minutes Vegas time to see the show on my next trip.
    I am not a fan of any names you mentioned, or knowing any of their songs. Well, I heard the name Elvis before, that's all I know.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice, easy going show. We thought it was enjoyable. Not a major production show, but a good break from donating money and destroying our livers.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.