1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is there theft in rooms?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by tewitt1949, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tewitt1949

tewitt1949 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondering do you dare leave items such as laptops/cameras in your hotel room when gone? Are some hotels safer or worse than others?

2. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In general if you put stuff in the safe, and you lock it, you should be fine.
    There is always the possibility of something going wrong, but it's highly unlikely.

3. Droyus

Droyus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's hard to find a room safe that will accommodate a laptop, so mine is always out and exposed whenever I leave the room. But I always lock up my wallet, my external hard drive and its precious data, one of my cellphones, and any other smaller valuables that will fit in there.

Room break-ins are very rare. As long as you don't make it easy for would-be hotel burglars you'll be fine.

1. Make sure the door is closed all the way and locked! Double check it...whether you're on your way out or in.
    2. If your door has a security bolt, use it while you're in the room.
    3. Hang the Do Not Disturb sign out when you leave. This makes it look like someone's in the room.
    4. Leave the TV on at a volume high enough to vaguely hear from the hallway when you're not there. Once again...it looks like someone's home.
    5. If it's nighttime, leave your room lights on when you're out. Same reason as #3 and #4.

As long as you're not staying in some rat trap motel in the heart of the naked city, you'll be fine.

4. Breck

Breck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of the higher end vegas hotels make you show your room key to security staff to even get to the elevators, which slightly reduces the threat of an outsider stealing your stuff. I know if you happen to go to your room while housekeeping is in there (and they have the door propped open), they make you put your key card in the reader to make sure you're not an impostor.

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are used to a door slamming shut in a hotel, it's easy to forget to make sure the door is completely closed in a hotel where it doesn't. I get the impression that a lot of room theft is due to people not making sure their door is closed. A thief will just test doors and enter rooms where the door pushes open.

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great tips!!

However, there's always a however, there is a universal code that will open any digital safe. So.....

7. Breck

Breck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's step two though

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is an evergreen topic here and the answer is the same every time: 99.99% of the time theft isn't an issue but if you are that outlier it is a very big issue. The universal truth is that if you absolutely positively don't want something to go missing in Vegas, don't bring it with you; though it might then just disappear from home when you are gone. Otherwise, just be smart, take basic precautions and almost every single time you'll be OK. It's not exactly Compton out there where most of we turistas hang out.

For me, my phone, wallet and cash go with me, the laptop sits on the desk if I've bothered to take it out of my luggage.

9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We often leave laptops out. Cash is available, but not on table.

Then again, we ALWAYS leave the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door. I know some folks love the maid service, but we see no need for it.

10. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Showing the room key does nearly nothing to reduce theft. Security is there to spot potential problems before they happen. Room keys are .99 on eBay. Cameras in every hallway and corridor of the mega resorts are what keep most of the the vandals away.

Nick:beer:

11. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Laptop sits out the entire time we're there, or at least as soon as I get it out of the bag. We obviously leave cash in the safe or in our wallets and what little jewelry my wife brings goes in the safe as well. We wouldn't think of not having maid service every day, and have never had a problem. We have had to write notes to the maids just so they would take their tip money. It's weird when you leave them $5 and come back to the room and it's still sitting there under the no smoking/internet access folder. Honestly, I think the hotel room in LV is probably safer than our empty house when we're in LV. The Do Not Disturb sign is reserved for when we want to sleep in (or have some adult fun).

12. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've stayed in LV hotels countless times since the 1970s and I can never remember anything missing. Of course I don't usually take anything particularly valuable with me and keep cash with me or in the safe.

On business trips I'll often have my work laptop out and about the only thing I ever remember is that some housekeepers are afraid to touch it! One hotel in the past (Sahara? Stardust?) actually left a printed note once that the bed was not made because there was a laptop on it and to please phone housekeeping if I wanted the bed made. Of course the work laptops are not that valuable and typically have a life expectancy of maybe 2 years before they are too beat up to use or simply quit.

On personal trips I'll have the little netbook, which is actually purse sized and I'll often take it with me. (My friends sometimes call my current everyday purse the "overnight bag".) :)

I remember seeing security at the old IP walking the halls and checking any door that did not seem to be securely locked.

The only hotel where I ever remember them REALLY checking room keys was the old Stardust. They had a "suit" type security guy at the elevators and he had a key card scanner and would actually check them to see if they were current and valid. The others just seem to have a "security theater" show where you wave a key card and they motion you through. It always seems that if the guys who put the pizza flyers under the door can get up on the floors, anyone can!

The only time I remember when I did not feel really that safe was the first time staying at the old Westward Ho. The door lock area had gouges and such and looked like it had been recently forced open. On the next trip I remember seeing metal strips around the locks. LOL, I also remember some drunk stumbling right into the door (**BOOM**) early one morning. :)

13. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just don't leave anything out for the hooker to grab and snatch

14. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually keep my laptop in my locked empty suitcase. This could be used as an additional safe for larger items!

I know it's not totally secure, but security by obscurity is better than leaving it out in the open ;)

15. gossamer

gossamer Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While we're on the topic of theft, what about pickpockets?

16. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Men: always carry your wallet and money in your front pocket instead of your back pocket. Women: Same goes if you are carrying cards/money in your pockets, keep a hand on your purse, never set it down and have a purse that has a zipper closure and make sure it is zipped shut.

Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
  17. Breck

Breck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are many layers to security. Showing your keycard to housekeeping is one of those layers. If you didn't I'm sure she would call security.

18. sabre

sabre Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my last trip to Cosmo, when I wanted to enter the room while the maid was cleaning, the maid took my key and inserted it into the lock to ensure it was a functioning key for the room. This could be done with the door open. I appreciated the verification. Additionally, the maid cart was blocking the door while she was in the room.

Unfortunately, you can't depend on all hotels to take this extra security precaution.

19. Breck

Breck Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When T.I used to do their pirate show, the distraction was a godsent for pickpockets. So if you're staring at the bellagio fountains, wouldn't hurt to put your wallet in your front pocket. For added measure I'll usually stick my thumb in my front pocket if I'm in a really crowded area as well and happen to have my wallet on me. I usually try to just take out the cards and cash I need and leave the wallet in the safe. I'd speculate that it's hard to pick pocket paper and plastic without you noticing than a big ol' fat wallet

20. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, in Vegas I use a money clip for exactly this reason. I keep too much other crap in my wallet, but in Vegas I have the clip with just cash, my debit card, a credit card, my room key, my ID, and players club card or two. If I'm actually carrying my wallet (which is usually only on my way in or out of town), I put it in the pocket that my messenger bag sits over, to make it a more difficult target.

As to rooms, I agree with everyone else that as long as you exercise a basic level of care, you'll be fine. When I had a smaller laptop, I'd put that in the safe, but my current one unfortunately doesn't fit. Anything that can go in the safe, I put in there, but I don't stress if not everything can get locked up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.