1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Squeezing comps out of the upcoming trip

Discussion in 'Comps' started by VegasSchemer, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasSchemer

VegasSchemer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey folks,

I'm returning to Vegas after many moons away because it happens to be cheaper for me to stop there as a bookend to my trip home for Christmas (single dude, so still visiting parents each December).

I'm looking for some advice on what I can expect to get comped during the trip. I'm always a little nervous I'll charge something to my room and not get it off. I know people say not to play for comps but for me it's more getting an idea of what I can expect so I also don't leave much on the table.

I've got Dec 22nd comped at Luxor. Will need to pay for the resort fee. My play there will be split between the 22nd and 23rd. My aim is 20k on the videoblackjack machine there (has a .4% edge and accumulates points like video poker) and about 4k on generic slots.

Then I'll swing back through on Dec 27th-29th (two nights at MGM Grand). I was offered an upgrade to a Spa Suite at MGM Grand for $34/night and I took it. I'm also paying resort fees and $70 total on the room rates at MGM (a buy one get one).

I'll hope to do 8k in slots while at MGM and another 40k in videoblackjack at the Grand (their game has about a .6% hold).

Costs:

3 resort fees
    $70 room rate
    2 $34 room upgrade

I have a $75 resort credit for MGM grand, so there won't be much I'll need for food.

While at Luxor, I'd probably get $320 in theo from slots but I don't know how the vbj is handled. If it's just the .4% hold, my theo will be $400 at Luxo and $800 at MGM Grand.

So I should be expecting about $100 in comps at Luxor and $200 at MGM, correct?

Should I then grab one moderate meal at the Luxor's restaurants ($25 or so) and go for a similarly cheap room upgrade at the desk to use up the value (including the resort fee)?

Or do ya'll ever try a riskier charge (like $100 on a good steakhouse meal) and hope they'll take that big item?

As for MGM Grand, I'm considering a spa service and a good meal.

Should I be good to go or am I missing something here?

Also, I booked my Luxor room through a corporate offer instead of my host's emailed offer because it looked better for my dates. Should I go through my host before I leave Luxor even if I didn't book with her? Will she not like that I booked without her?

In general, is it better to do a bunch of smaller charges? Any insights on how to do this would be great. I'm not a big player but love to get what I can.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The video blackjack you're talking about, is it the one with the virtual dealer or is it on the same machine as video Poker?

3. VegasSchemer

VegasSchemer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the virtual dealer. FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen a blackjack game on a video poker machine with good rules.

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen any on the vp machines with good rules either. That's why I was asking, hoping you weren't playing those.

In my expierence hosts comp individual charges all or nothing making me assume that smaller charges would be "easier" in that if you only earned $100 in comps they couldn't comp half of the $200 dinner but could comp two $50 charges.

5. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FWIW - I have seen video blackjack on the bartop at MGM in Rouge that allows splits and doubles which is not the case on most of those on the strip.

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you know what it pays for a natural 21?

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is generally true, but also bear in mind that at MGM properties, every individual component of a meal shows up separately on the folio. That $200 dinner might include $120 food, $30 bar, $20 tax, and $30 tip (obviously those numbers are completely made up). I've definitely had parts of a meal comped off without them taking off the whole thing.

8. mikeyvegas1

mikeyvegas1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The OP stated that these virtual blackjack games earn TCs at the same rate as video poker, do they also earn ECs? Just wondering since they stopped all ECs for table games and I relate blackjack to being a table game.

Sons 21st birthday trip
  9. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Almost positive it is even pay, typical Game King video blackjack garbage BUT nonetheless - if you are looking to play bartop and quarters/dollars versus $5/hand like the virtual dealers...its better than no split/double! haha

10. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience at Luxor is they are extremely tight with comps, on VP play anyway. Go ahead and charge stuff to your room and do talk to your host. All they can say is no. They'll take your express comps first, then maybe comp some meals.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.