1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The NEW SUGAR -FREE ME.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ALL Carbs are turned into sugar in your body.

Fruits are FULL of Carbs.

Grains (wheat, oats rice, bread, noodles, etc) and the products made from them, are FULL of carbs.

Spaghetti with red sauce and bread is the worst carb meal ever

It's all a game of substitution, restriction, and NOT eating a load of Carbs everyday.

Lite beer, instead of regular

Cauliflower, Broccoli, cabbage, instead of Corn, Peas, beans.

Don't eat fruit everyday. Stay away from it. Fruit juice is as bad as Soda Pop

No roots, potatoes, turnips carrots.

There are great recipes out there that swap low carb ingredients, almond Flour, cheese, and low carb vegetables to take the place of high carb ingredients.

Look at the carb amount on everything you put in your mouth.

Zucchini "zoodles" instead of noodles.

Alfredo, instead of red sauce.

Ranch and white dressings instead of French, Russian, or other red dressings.

My very most favorite low carb is a No carb pizza crust, called Fathead Pizza, it's a thin very tasty crust that I like better than any:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=812515

My wife preheats/cooks the toppings - meats, cheeses, mushrooms, olives, alfredo sauce have no carbs, we use red sauce and green peppers with the others, which do add a few carbs.

The benefits of low carb eating is that it also is a great way to lose weight, if you cut back on portions. Losing weight also cuts back on diabetes in some cases.

My wife has lost 45 Lbs. I have lost 35, (we both had shot up to high weight living it up), she's found so many good recipes from low carb Facebook Groups, that I have been eating too much, stalled, and need to cut back on amounts. She is still doing great!

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  2. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for that info,I'd like to lose a few pounds maybe 10-20 ,Mrs. is in great shape aerobics 3 times a week looks a lot younger ,people say so anyway.I cut out all sweets and between meal snacks so lets see what happens. Heading to AC for the afternoon ,will stick to a couple of lite beers and maybe one scotch/rocks.

3. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To anyone thinking about a low carb diet.

There are many books and plans, meal plans, and folks discussing out there on the internet.

Some aren't right, my suggestion is to get a book, Atkins, or one of the others, and read it.

Pay attention to the carb counts you put into your mouth, their are little carb counter books or you can get info on your smart phone. LEARN THE COUNTS

NO carbs are for the beginning of the diet, you will ADD carbs back into your diet as it progresses, just not at the level you eat today, but to the level that you can maintain your preferred weight. (around 75 carbs a day for me, with proper portion control)

You have to know the substitutions!

HERE's how the diet looks at Carbs:
    I can eat a banana or I can Drink 10 Light Beers.
    I can eat a Banana or I can Eat 3 oranges
    I can eat a banana or I can eat 2 cups of raspberries
    I can eat a banana or I can eat a 6 inch head of cauliflower
    I can eat a banana or I can eat all the steak or bacon I need to quench my hunger (remember portion control is important though)
    I can eat a banana or I can eat all the cheese, fish, nuts, sausage, olives, eggs, etc I need to quench my hunger

Yet, you will have folks telling you to eat bananas.

Fat is important on a low carb diet, it may seem strange, but bacon, eggs are your friend - your cholesterol will drop or stay the same! Your weight gain will stall if you cut back on fat. The saying is "Fat does not beget fat"

My wife (lost 45 lbs.) actually makes and eats "Fat Bombs" for snacks. http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/

UNLESS you like leg and foot cramps, you will have to take calcium and potassium.
    UNLESS you like small hard bowel movements, you will have to take fiber daily.

That's the important stuff I know.

4. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. BLNT

BLNT High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out "Sugar, the Bitter Truth". There are some eye opening facts in that video with plenty of good examples and reasoning.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Although eating fairly healthy and exercising are easier for me because I enjoy them (as mentioned in a previous post), I still work at staying healthy:

Carbs are not the devil; just be sensible.
    Eat lots of fiber, and get it in fibrous (preferably raw) foods.
    Sugar, salt, and fat will all tempt you to turn the dark side. Be aware of how much of each you are consuming. Read the book entitled "Sugar, Salt, Fat" for some enlightenment.
    Read ingredient lists. Don't buy anything you can't pronounce.
    Make as much of your own food as you can. Prepared food and restaurant food are full of sugar, salt, fat, and ingredients you can't pronounce.
    Exercise regularly and vigorously, but don't run. The pounding will injure you.
    Drink plenty of plain water. Keep the alcohol and other calorie-laden drinks to a minimum. If you drink coffee, drink it black or with just a little real milk.

Ignore the words of fanatics (except for me, of course). Good luck.

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not gonna go whole hog into this ,just going to eliminate sweets and between meal snacks and see how this works out in 3 months. Yesterday I walked from Harrahs over to the Nugget and back and walked around a lot. Also danced at the Eden Lounge . On the downside ate a burger and had a few brews over a 9 hour period .

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    jerseyguy, it's all about balance. You can have a few beers and a burger. Just be sure to move your body and get in the good foods where you can.

The whole diet mentality is crazy making, for sure. Eat this, not that. Do this, not that. Uh oh, too much or not enough. Just pay attention to your body and what it likes and doesn't like.

9. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My blood sugar readings are in the low 100's in the mornings. This past week I scarfed on a lot of spaghetti (I love spaghetti) and my blood sugar went crazy.

I take diabetic pills and will see the doctor today after submitting a blood test last week. I'm in for a lot of stern lecturing and scolding today when I go to see her.

Heh, heh......:evillaugh

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is something I want to get a handle on ,how volatile is this blood sugar reading ? Does it jump up and down depending on what you eat or dont eat each day? Or is this on a person by person basis ?

11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. Your blood sugar will vary depending on what you eat and how active you were that day. It also varies person to person. Your doctor is your best source of how to handle your particular situation. Others mentioned to listen to your body and that's a good assessment for keeping your blood sugar in check.

I'm still learning about my condition (diabetes). I do know for me I have to maintain a blood sugar count of 120 or lower on a daily basis. Type 2 diabetes can be reversed, unlike type 1. If you maintain a healthy weight level and exercise you can get off the pills. Moderation is the key to accomplish this. The problem with me is that I indulge too much at times (soda, alcohol, food) and slack off on the exercise, LOL!

Unfortunately, my condition is hereditary but it still can be controlled. I'm just lazy sometimes and pay the price.

I'm sure you'll do well managing your condition. It's all moderation. Good Luck!

Edit: Sorry, forgot to answer your question. After eating tons of spaghetti my blood sugar shot up to the 180's which is not good.

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks,makes sense,my body doesnt really give me any sense of anything that I can tell so maybe thats good.

13. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is what makes diabetes so insidious and dangerous. You mostly feel fine, and are unaware that your sugar may be spiking. There are symptoms when it goes too low, but not as much when it's high. But it can be causing all kinds of really serious damage to your organs and systems. I've seen firsthand how bad it can get (dialysis, amputation, blindness) in various relatives and friends. I carry more weight than I should but thus far have avoided diabetes, thankfully.

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am diabetic type 2 for several years now. I have learned my own style of dealing with my problem. When I eat a large meal I take my metformin 500mg when I know I am going to eat too many carbs at one time. So I try to just eat small meals during the day. In the evening during dinner I take my med again since my doctor wants me to take it twice per day.
    Recently I tested my blood level and it was super high it was 197. So I took double my med and it brought down the sugar level within the hour. I had a neighbor get rushed to emergency because her blood level was at 200. The emergency doctor just gave her extra meds and she was sent home. So I did that and it worked for me.

I have a neighbor who thinks that her sugar level is too high at 110. I think it is normal. She gets all stressed out if it goes higher when she eats and I think it is normal if it goes to 130.

With the use of my meds my AIC is kept at a borderline level of 6.2. It has never been a 7.0 which is the worst level. I do worry about the level going up at times.

I like pastries. When I go shopping for foods I tell myself that if I buy the pastries..... I will be eating them.... so I choose not to buy them. If I drink a regular coke I add water to it just to get the coke flavor. Not a great idea but I don't like diet sodas.

YES, it is tough to be diabetic type 2. I do a lot of walking for exercise at the Malls. I walk for hours all day at times. I try not to live in fear of my medical problems.

I guess we all have our own way of taking care of ourselves even if our ideas are not great ideas in dealing with our medical problems. It is tough since carbs turn to sugar.

15. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The way one's body metabolizes carbs-sugars is best seen in the context of the glycemic index of the foods and, in turn, which ones have the highest glycemic load. Potatoes have heavy load, some fruits, while sugary, have lots of water also so are processed quicker.
    "The Glycemic Index is a numerical Index that ranks carbohydrates based on their rate of glycemic response (i.e. their conversion to glucose within the human body). Glycemic Index uses a scale of 0 to 100, with higher values given to foods that cause the most rapid rise in blood sugar."
    Google glycemic load, you may be surprised at some of the "good" and "bad" foods.

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good tip on the glycemic index. I wanted to add that you can't say all potatoes or all fruit. Fruit has fiber that helps with inhibiting the glucose getting into your blood. And a russet potato is much different on the glycemic index than a yukon gold or red bliss potato that is much less starchy.

You can truly make yourself insane with all the conflicting diet advice. I've become a sort of clean-eating-**** in my house, but on Saturday evening when the power went out, we drove out to our favorite burger stand and had cheeseburgers, onion rings and shakes for dinner. Not clean at all, but oh so yummy. :) I think that's the key. Everything in moderation. Know what foods trigger the negative effects for you (be it blood sugar, inflammation, etc) and limit those. But allow yourself a little bit of leeway now and then or you will be like me and start ranting about how hard meal planning is and that it's not fair that soilent green isn't a thing. :)

17. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your glucose readings vary even after eating a meal. If you take readings throughout the day it can vary drastically. Carbs in your system will linger longer and so your readings will be high for a longer period. I usually take my readings first thing in the morning to get a baseline on how I'm doing. But I do notice if I eat a lot of carbs like pasta for dinner it can linger till the morning, that's why I try not to eat a lot of carbs if possible. But the readings and sugar levels are different for everyone, some people are lucky and have no problems but others have to watch everything they eat to keep their numbers down. Right after I eat my numbers are off the charts (because of the food intake) so no sense taking readings then because they are all dependent on what you ate. I usually wait about 3 or 4 hours after to see if my blood sugar is still high, usually it will be high if I ate a lot of carbs.

as others have mentioned, you still need to eat carbs or else you will always have a hungry feeling but as long as you do it in moderation it should be okay. Eating many smaller meals through out the day might be the best thing as it doesn't stay in your system as long as if you ate a big meal with a lot of carbs.

I've been a diabetic since 2001 so about 14 years (yeah, 2001 wasn't a good year for me, first my dad died, then I was diagnosed with diabetes and then 9/11 happened). Not ready for insulin yet but I do take an injectable (victoza) once a day in addition to metformin (the standard pill for diabetes) and actos. I tried to take the glipid pills (glipizide and glyburide) and they got my numbers very low (in fact too low sometimes, I used to wake up with my blood sugar at 45 - way too low) but my problem with them was that I would gain weight - gained 30 lbs taking them and lost it after I stopped taking them.

Jersey, cutting down on sweets is good but best to start exercising more and watching your food intake (carbs too). Like I said before, losing weight also makes it easier for your body to control your blood sugars but be forewarned that weight loss and excessive thirst are sometimes symptoms of diabetes. I knew I had diabetes when I could eat huge buffets on my vegas trip and actually lost weight.

18. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife was diagnosed type 2 about a year and a half ago, she stopped drinking pop and eating white bread. She's not much of a drinker so that helped.

We tried different whole wheat pasta's but didn't like any so we mixed them 50/50 with regular pasta. We dropped as many carbs as we could and cut fast food to almost vacation only.

She was very good about portion size, and I think that's what made the most differance. She wasn't much over weight but lost thirty five pounds in three months.
    Her second A1C test was normal but the doc wouldn't take her off the meds.
    At six months she had lost ten more pounds and had an even lower A1C reading.
    I think all the wows and fitting into our daughters clothes helped also.

But the doc wouldn't take her off the meds, so she stopped herself.
    I think it was a year before the doc told her she could try stopping the meds, he didn't like hearing she had stopped six months back.

Our daughter worked her way up to charge nurse, for a group of kidney/dialysis doctors, so my wife got too hear all the horror stories. Now we just try to eat real food, if it comes in a box or from a fast food restaurant skip it. I wish I was as disciplined as my wife. Portion control and snacking at night are my biggest problems. And maybe drinking also.

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't found a way to enjoy drinks. Beer drinkers have it bad, but I'm a girlie drink lover. Give me a sweet vodka concoction and I'm happy. My nurtitionist suggested that I try a vodka soda and put a little stevia or agave in it for sweetness. I made a face. Then she said, you could get extra lemons. I told her I want a 3' tall margarita from a slurpee machine and you speak of extra lemons? The horror! :haha:

I have just found a pasta that I love. It's a brown rice pasta and is from Jovial. It cooks like wheat pasta, tastes like wheat pasta and doesn't spike my sugars! That's a win in my book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.