1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

...........For A Loaf Of Bread ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Stopped into a somewhat "upscale" local supermarket.
    They fry up their own chicken wings ( $6.99 lbs ) ---
    I like to buy some for my Football Sunday.
    Had to get an emergency loaf of Freihofer's commercial bread.
    I choked at the check out register !!!!!!
    I asked, "Is THAT correct ?.......$4.19 for a loaf of bread ?" :rolleyes2:
    I told my wife.
    She said, "Wait til all food prices go up......it'll be another recession !"
    Anybody else get a ridiculous price - for some basic fare ?

2. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am always shocked at the price for good bread......we live on an island so the delivery adds some to the cost but Dave's Killer Bread is just over six bucks a loaf for the nutty stuff. I do not waste any slices of that stuff :nono:

3. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are some cheaper brands of bread still that you can catch on sale for a buck on sale. But if you want whole grain bread with higher fiber content, the premium brands are going to be regular price in the $4 range. Fortunately I am not committed to one brand so I can usually find something on sale. Not that I should even be eating the stuff to begin with.

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I paid 4 bucks for a bakery loaf of Italian bread at a Whole Foods Market which is an organic ,nice but pricey food market.
    Believe it or not food at the regular markets like Shop Rite is relatively cheap in Jersey compared to other states. I can usually get a loaf of Jewish Rye or Arnold Multi Grains for $1.99
    First time in Whole Foods for me ,about 75 miles north, they actually have pub type bar in the market serving several drafts and pub-grub.

5. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know the reason but the price of eggs kills me every time I buy em.

6. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just bought a loaf for 50 cents, eggs are $1 .29 right now, you guys need to shop around.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its funny, but two years ago when the price of wheat went up, the bakeries all were quick to hop on board with price increases. Now that wheat is about half of what it was (also corn and soybeans) I am not seeing any decreases in bread prices.

Probably because consolidation of the major bakeries. Flowers Bakery in the Southeast is the big player, and in the Northeast its Bimbo Bakeries, a Mexican owned company. Bimbo owns brands such as Freihoffers, Stroehmans, Arnold, Butterkrust, Thomas English Muffins, Sahara Pita, Entenemans.

Jerseyguy, I am up near Newark today, your topic reminds me to swing over to Harrison and pick up some Pechter's Rye. By the way, Rye Bread is better for your blood sugar compared to white bread.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  8. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    over $5 for an 18 pack of eggs here.

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Some white bread is cheap......50 cents ?....not in my neck of the woods.
    I try to avoid white bread(s).
    I buy a "whole wheat" bread .
    But not 100% whole wheat - that stuff is just TOO HEAVY !
    Hammie,
    Thanks for the info...........I should have suspected some type of monopoly.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eggs were over $3 a dozen but the prices are finally stabilizing and coming down just in time for the holidays.

11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The whole wheat is 99 cents where i buy, not day old either.

12. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find that often, going straight to a baker, bread is often the same price as the commercial bakery stuff at the grocery store. But yes, sometimes the bakers' stuff is too heavy.

I am having great luck with trader joe's frozen croissants. They are expensive, but in the end, half the price of a croissant from a shop. And even I can't screw them up. Just thaw overnight, under a dome so they rise, then bake. Maybe they have frozen bread dough too.

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  13. Kimsa70

Kimsa70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wait until the good whole grain/high fiber brands go on sale for $2.00 or $2.50 a loaf and buy 2 and freeze them. I'm alone, so it works good for me.

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in the habit of going to my Ralphs store that puts their breads and other types of pastries on sale at 10;30 A.M. It is not day old bread because it has the same date as the day I buy it. They also have a section where they will put other items that are not selling well. The items are super cheap just because people choose not to buy them.
    We don't have a large population of Spanish speaking shoppers. I understand Spanish so it is real funny and awesome when something is written in Spanish like caramel syrup in Spanish. There was also a cake that said "tres leches". The price was $14.00 but people didn't understand what flavor it was so it was sold for $3.00.
    I always laugh when I see some products written in Spanish. "DUH". So I get the bargains.
    I live in a middle class neighborhood that doesn't like to buy bread items that has the same day breads. So the store just puts them on sale.

I like to buy cage free eggs at Trader Joe's for $3.00. Recently the eggs were selling for $5.00 at Ralphs and Vons because of the bird flu that affected some chicken farms.

I buy what I like no matter how much it costs. But I always stock up on bargains too.

A comedian recently told a joke that him and his friends had to get some money together to buy an apple at "Whole Foods". Yes, it is expensive but it also has some deals too. Lucy

15. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just bought eggs other day 399 for 18. 249 for 12

16. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the price going up on bread had little to do with wheat and the price of wheat it was more to do with the price of diesel fuel and energy to make and deliver the bread

a bushel of wheat makes 42 loaves of bread so right now with wheat @ $4.98 per bushel there is $.12 cents of wheat in bread and even when wheat was just under double that in 2013 that would mean there was $.24 cents of wheat in a loaf of bread

even if you factor in the additional cents in "profit" for the additional $.12 invested to make the product that hardly gets you to the large price increases bread was seeing it would probably get you a $.15 price increase per loaf because of the wheat cost

17. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In North Texas (DFW area), the big-chain supermarkets are running right around $3 for a dozen large eggs.
    The big bakery breads (Mrs. Baird's, etc.) run about $3-to-$4 a loaf (except when on sale).

The store-brand bread is usually $1.50 to $2.

Shopping tip of the week: IF you have a super-WalMart, go there for light beer & bread. They always have 12-packs of 16-ounce Miller Lite for $11.50, and they bake their own Italian bread (whole, unsliced loaves) for $1... baked fresh on site.

Annual Spring Trip!
  18. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol....fresh from the freezer, as we used to say in the grocery industry. :poke:

19. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paid $1.79 for a loaf this week. Not bad. Plus no sales tax on food.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG!! Two-Buck Chuck now costs $2.50!!!!! Two Chucks, Five Bucks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.