1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dream burger

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, you're making a burger at home. You've been through all the burger wars here, you think everyone else is full of it, and you have us all captive, and you're going to make a burger that shows off what you think is a gooooooood burger. What's on the plate?

(BTW, the BEST burger out in the world is the burger "dog" at Silverado GC -- yes, I've not been to Olympic.)

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I reject the premise. I've never really gone in for the gourmet burger thing. Burgers are for when I'm eating casual. If I'm having dream food, its not a burger. If I'm doing burgers at home, they were probably store bought and frozen.

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then you didn't reject the premise if making store-bought and frozen burgers. No one said anything about "gourmet," whatever than means.

4. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many incarnations, but so far my favorite has been to form two patties and place buffalo wing cheese between the patties and crimp the edges to seal the cheese inside. I then dust the exterior with lawry's seasoning, smoked paprika and then a couple of shakes of worcestershire sauce. Grill until medium rare and top with a couple of crispy bacon strips...then visit your cardiologist.

5. WhskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhskeyTangoFoxtrot MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Costco has giant, pre-made hamburger patties....

One of those, grilled with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and eaten with fresh tomato, cheddar cheese, mustard, and mayo.
    On a crusty roll.
    :licklips:

6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The point being I'm not doing that because I think storebought is a dream burger, but rather because it's good enough for what a burger is.

7. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Local butcher shop grinds his hamburger daily, you wouldn't think it would make that big a difference but it does. I only bother getting it if I'm going to use charcoal. Make patties about 1/3 lb salt pepper and garlic. Add a few apple wood chips cook medium rare then top with swiss cheese, bacon, onion and mustard.

If I'm using supermarket hamburger, I'd rather use a cast iron skillet over a propane grill. I'm leary of eating supermarket burger rare, so they tend to dry out on a gas grill.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our butcher does a mix of chuck and sirloin. We like to use ciabatta for buns as they have needed texture and density, and taste like really good baked bread, not air. Kosher salt and cracked pepper. Mix up some chipotle mayo, avo, sharp cheddar, red onion, heirloom tom, arugula. Goes on an old cast-iron griddle over flame. Rare. That's one iteration.

No effort with every day inputs and it is a taste sensation!

9. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love a good burger - especially a Juicy Lucy!

I use 1/2 pound beef and 1/2 pound pork, salt, pepper and 1 mashed garlic clove. I form a thick patty, split it, insert my choice of cheeses, re-form it and grill it on my George Foreman.

My toppings are grilled onions and mustard - only. Then place it on a soft potato bun.

Yummy!

10. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes - Montreal Steak Seasoning is my go-to spice as well.

Instead of a bun, I like slabs of toasted San Francisco sourdough bread, the real heavy stuff. The tartness of the bread complements the fats in the meat and cheese. And, the tomatoes need to be home grown so you get the acidity the store-bought tomatoes lack.

Oh, great - now I want a good burger for dinner.

Bill

11. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite burger in a bun comes from those independently-owned grease pits which you step up to the window from outside. As far as a ground beef patty, I once cooked one that was individually-packaged from a mail-order butcher. I don't know which one since it was given to me. That was the best ground beef patty I have ever had, and I didn't use any bun, toppings, or condiments on it.

12. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is all too much work after a dong day of work. I buy frozen burgers from the grocery store and cook them on a cast skillet over the stove Keeps them juicy and I can watch tv while I cook lol. after a minute or two i will experiment with adding seasonings. Whatever cheese is on sale goes on top, followed by a copious amount of ketchup, and a cold beer from the fridge. I usually cook a few extra for lunches at work for the next day or two.

13. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fresh ground beef. I think for burgers, 83% is what we get. 91% for meatloaf and other. Salt, pepper and a touch of minced garlic. Medium rare with a slice of American. If available, Kings Hawaiian buns. Melt in your mouth. Yum.

Nick:beer:

14. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This one's right up my alley. Another option I like is loading the patties up with cracked pepper, grilling to medium rare and then piling high sauteed sliced mushrooms (garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, italian seasoning) and top with mushroom gravy. Serve open face or no bun/bread at all.

15. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I eat burgers almost every day and always the same.

i get the frozen pattys that are onion flavored. all american or something like that. Also use what are called butter buns.

i thaw the burger in the microwave for a minute or so. then i toss it in a hot skillet with some oinios that are alreday grilled. season with salt and pepper.

then i flip it over and put a slice of velveeta on top.

put thusand island on the bun and when the cheese is melted thats it.

down and dirty and oh so good.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our neighbors own a burger place in town. A different rendition for each letter of the alphabet. They have one with cream cheese and black olives that just slays it. But then I figured to put grilled jalapeƱos on it and that was the real ticket.

17. WhskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhskeyTangoFoxtrot MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Oh , boy.... Fresh Sourdough!!!

18. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I make sliders with 80/20 ground brisket and use the King's Hawaiian sweet rolls - Havarti or Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, and chipolte mayo - Glaze the top of rolls with Worcestershire Sauce and mustard mix -- my favorite and my Grandson eats these up -- minus the onions on his. My husband loves the Red Robin Royal burger with egg on it. He makes those and even ordered the Red Robin Seasoning -- it's pretty good - I just don't like egg on my burger. Another that my husband and I love that comes from an old Mom and Pop Burger Joint from our youth is a Ringo's Texas Bean Burger. It was made with mayo, crushed fritos, chopped onions, re-fried beans and melted Velveeta cheese and a good greasy patty -- Ok now I am hungry.

19. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never get fancy with burgers, just mix in a package of onion soup mix to a pound of hamburger and grill them up.

Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
  20. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I
    Yes on all. Yum.

Nick:beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.