1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How many people have these friends

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by mikeyvegas1, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyvegas1

mikeyvegas1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wife and I had a few friends over. The question was raised about any upcoming trips. I announced the next Vegas trip and everyone was like your going there again!!!!? What is so wrong with knowing what you enjoy and doing it? I am not super well traveled but I have been a few places and will continue to visit other new places but what is wrong with going to your favorite spot regularly?

Sons 21st birthday trip
  2. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's Vegas thing.
    Some people just don't get it.

We all know someone like that.

Cheers

3. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's one of things that's best left unsaid.

Adding: it's ok to tell us, we understand.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friends have no business criticizing your travel plans or the way you spend your money. I encourage a wide range of travel destinations for everybody who can afford it and can get the time. It's rewarding. Yet for many years, my wife and I spent part of each winter in the same vacation spot. We liked it. This winter, we aren't going. Our choice.

5. Rags

Rags Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand and respect that some folks would not enjoy going to Vegas every year (or multiple times per year in my case), but each of enjoy our vacation time differently. Some folks like to spend all day sitting on a beach, but after a few hours, I'm completely bored and looking for something active to do. I enjoy Vegas so much because I enjoy all of the activity and enjoy playing games of any kind. My wife and I also usually take one trip somewhere else per year, often with other family members. Sometimes those trips are great, and sometime not. Vegas though is almost certainly a good time, and sometimes great with a bit of luck.

I think for some folks they hear that someone is going to Vegas regularly and attach a gambling stigma to it. I understand that as well. I think those of us who visit regularly have seen folks that have a problem from time to time. I have friends that can't separate that from those of us who set a budget and enjoy Vegas looking at gambling and other activities just as we would any other vacation spend.

6. danny8235

danny8235 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Mike. I had to read your post to my wife as it fits me to a tee. I have been to Vegas 4 times this year and going again in 2 weeks. Low roller mostly limit poker and love the Vegas high. Most of our friends don't say anything now just kind of shake there heads. By the way I am 73 years young and go solo most of time. 3 or 4 days of heaven

7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm 66 and hope to be where you are in 7 years. Right on, sir!

I hate when people say "You can gamble anywhere."

8. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends on the group of my friends I'm telling. I have a group that goes with me, so they understand.
    Then I have other friends who judge the shit out of my for going twice a year. It's expected, the city has marketed itself in a way that I would be judged.

With this said, I could not care less what those friends think. I enjoy it, a LOT!

July 19th - July 24th
  9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope.

10. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sigh. Mine say that every time. They don't get it.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, know lots of people that do not get it. I can think of three close acquaintances that have specifically mentioned they would NEVER go to Vegas. I know another who says : "So, what would you do after the first day?" Duh... drink, eat, shows, drink, walk, drink, gamble, shows, eat, drink....

12. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If someone as a matter of conversation ask if i have any trips planned I'll tell them.
    I travel quite a bit and not just to Las Vegas so they know I plan trips well in advance.

13. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before my wife and I went to vegas as a couple for the first time, her cousin and spouse were going 3-4x a year. We wouldn't say anything to them, but to each other we'd often wonder as to why they constantly go to Vegas.

Then we went together (I'd been alone but years before, and was on a tight budget, so it wasn't quite the rush it is now)...and after one trip got hooked. I remember we got back in August, the first offer followed about 2 weeks later and we immediately booked it. We've been going every 3-4 months ever since. I know our parents don't get it, and a lot of friends don't either, but we don't care. We have friends that go to Myrtle Beach or Florida or Texas every year, not sure why Las Vegas seems any different to them, I think for people who have never been there (or don't get into it), there is a certain stigma attached to it.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of our friends have kids. They don't have any room to talk. :wink2: Diapers. Money. Vomit and runny noses. Money. Piano lessons. Money. Braces. Money. Wrecked cars and multiple trips to Disneyland. Money. Every latest, greatest electronic gadget and the consumer orgy of Christmas. Money. College. Money. Weddings. Money. Grandkids. Money.

As shifter noted, our answer is nope. Friends and family, all do as they -- we -- want to do.

15. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not polite with that kind of crap anymore. Especially since I went on my first motorcycle trip in over 10 years and it was a big deal to us because of all my past surgeries and ongoing health issues. Usually the people who say that kind of thing have a place in Florida or maybe Cuba they go to winter after winter and a summer cottage or trailer summer after summer. Or my all time fav...they don't go anywhere, ever. I make sure to be a total jerk when they talk about heading to the cottage. And then I look them in the eye and smile.

16. Canadianeh

Canadianeh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go twice a year on business, and on those trips, we extend our stay to make it a vacation too. Then it seems there are always other 'reasons' to go too - birthdays, anniversaries, retirement celebrations (we're getting that age), and just 'because'. So we've been averaging 3-5 trips a year for the past 6 years or so. The one comment from friends/associates that always kills me is "You go so often, why don't you just buy a place down there!?". To me, a very bizarre comment. Firstly, if you spend any time on the strip gambling, etc, you can easily get comped as we do. So why would I buy something I have to take care of and pour money into year-round, or join a timeshare (never going to happen), and pay monthly fees, etc etc? Vegas is the one place I would NEVER buy real-estate in...ever.

17. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They secretly wish they could go with you to Vegas but are too ashamed to admit it, which is their problem.

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They ask questions that they don't want to hear the answer to, or would not understand the answer to. Sometimes I just pretend I didn't hear them and change the subject. That's my other tactic. It depends on the person and my mood.

19. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, we get that passive-aggressive comment some.

But the ones that really bother me is when people say something like "man, HOW MUCH do you gamble" or "what are you guys, WHALES?" because we always go on comps. Its actually strained some friendships because they have started assuming we're loaded with cash when we're really not. We're a professional couple without kids, so we have plenty of expendable income, and do get very attractive comps, but we are not "rich" and far from high-rollers, but the way we get comped in Vegas people who are not familiar with how the city works automatically assume you're either rich or a degenerate gambler.

20. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the comments from friends and coworkers all the time. In fact, I have gotten to the point that I will lie at work because of the negative connotation that going to Vegas has with people. I work in finance and people assume that you have a gambling problem if you make frequent trips to Vegas. Like most people on this board, I enjoy gambling, but set a budget and would never gamble more than I could comfortably afford to lose and my gambling leads to room comps and resort credits that make trips to Vegas a very economical destination (with the exception of potential gambling losses).

Anyway, F what other people think, I love Vegas and will go as often as I reasonably can.

My Longest Trip Ever
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.