1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How bout those mets!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a long suffering Met Fan I can actually say they surprised the hell out of me this year.

2. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really? Long suffering? Try 70 years since the last World Series appearance or 107 years since last winning the World Series? Now THAT is long suffering!!

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a Phllies fan, congrats to the rival Mets and their fans who remained loyal. Tough to be a Mets fan in New York when everyone and their brother is wearing the pinstripes of the Yankees. Just win the World Series.

4. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Geez -
    Two + half months ago ---
    I couldn't find ONE person interested in talking about
    THE MET game on TV last night. ( I watch ALL the TV games ! ).
    And now.........I have to watch all these so called Met FANS ?....whoopin' + hollerin
    about THEIR team.......?..........horse - BS !!!!
    What a bunch of bandwagon jumpers -
    I hate them + it happens with every winning team.
    In July........the Mets were the most horribly, frustrating , anemic batting team I've ever witnessed !
    I'm still here !!!!
    GO METS !..........from a true fan.

5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watched the first Met home game in 1962 on B/W TV . They lost to Pgh 3-0 if I remember correctly.

6. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at the first Met home game in 62. I was 4 years old at the time. My Dad got seats a few rows up from the Mets dugout and remember hanging over dugout looking in at the players.

7. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone is commenting about all the new Mets caps being worn. That's not really accurate though. They've had those caps for a while in their closets. They just haven't worn them because until lately Mets fans took a lot of abuse for the team being so horrible.

8. hearRN

hearRN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been a die hard Met since the 69 season. Having a twin brother, we cut out the hero's and goats for each game, made a scrapbook of all news clippings (still have it) and make signs to put on all the cars on our block. It was a magical time. It's been a rough road and each year on opening day I get this from those "Yankee fans" I'm so glad my son will experience what I did, he was 1 in 1986. This Long Island girl is happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okXhAC78d4Q

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The team that sweeps the division series does not win the World Series.

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in HS ,cant remember anything important,but that I remember. A 63 Met lives in the same development that I do ,Duke Carmel,nice guy. When the Mets get rained out they show this old b/w film with him in it.Too bad you didnt save the ticket stubs from that game,could be worth something.

11. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jersey. There are a few things that I remember from the game, none of it has to do with the game itself. The first thing was parking by Yankee Stadium , walking over the Macombs avenue bridge and seeing this big monolithic stadium which was the Polo Grounds. Also when game was over and seeing the players walking towards centerfield asking my Dad do all of them live out there. Also saw Jim Bunnings perfect game at Shea and do you recall they on occasion had players night where one player prior to game would meet fans in an area in the Loge section and take questions from audience. Well at the time my favorite player was Ron Hunt and they had a evening featuring him Dad got us tickets to go Iwas probably 6 or 7 at this time so I raised my hand got chosen stood by microphone and asked him " do you ever get nervous when Jack Fisher pitches?" The audience laughed and his reply was " yes I do have a few gray hairs from when he gets on the mound. Remember it like it was yesterday. You also may like this story as well. When my dad was in his teens he was a pin boy in a Brooklyn bowling alley and one day Pee Wee Reese which was not uncommon in those days A few minutes later in walks Yogi Berra and Whitey Ford and they happen to pick the lanes that my Dad was going to set up pins for. They sit down and Pee Wee gets a called to desk and there is a phone call for him from Gil Hodges telling Pee Wee he is running late. So Yogi asks my Dad hey kid you know how to play pinochle Dad says yes and there he his sitting with three HOF playing cards

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like they say ,the good old days. I remember Fat Jack Fisher. I was there when he served one up to Hank Aaron that was still rising when it cleared the left center fence.

13. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a die-hard Yankee fan, I say, "Let's go Royals!!" lol

14. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

So true. And you could even bring your own refreshments and not have to pay $13.00 for a cup of swill they tell you is Beer

15. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Mike. The YANKS will be back when HARVEY / DEGROM AND SYNDERGAARD become free agents. That when you will have a pitching staff again because the WILPONS aren't going to pony up the kind of cash it's going to take to keep them. I would be shocked if they did

16. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I have a Jack Fisher - Topps Bubble gum card - '61 or '62.
    He wasn't so fat in the card photo.
    He was wearing a Baltimore Oriole uniform ---
    I'd have to look up his career stats to see what years he was w/ Baltimore ?
    Duke Carmel......doesn't ring a bell ?
    But a lot of Met players from back then......might not !
    At least he got to the majors........even if it was with a team who went 40 -120 !
    Jim Hickman, Felix Milan, Duke Snyder, Choo Choo Coleman,.....even Gil Hodges - back then !

17. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember Johnny Lewis , Little Al Jackson , Hot Rod Kaneal, Ed McMillan , Roger Craig , Bobby Pfeil, Yogi even played for them in 63. Although they weren't any good just liked going to games. The game itself hasnt changed(although the age of specialization has made a 2-1 game last 3 hours) the greed by both owners and players has taken away the innocence and made it a business But this team is very easy to root for. Bunch of kids going out and playing ball and having fun just the way it should be

18. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I forgot Hot Rod !
    I gotta laugh at all this complaining about this "new" strategy = "The Shift" ---
    ( playing more fielders on one side of the Diamond )
    I played a "shift" all the time in my Men's Modified fast Pitch Softball league ---
    I was a second baseman who casually repositioned myself into short left field
    or center field -- cos these guys just wanted to jerk the ball over left field fence EVERY at bat.
    .........this was 43 YEARS AGO !!!............................what's old is new........

19. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of names from back then ,Marvelous Marv Throneberry,Clarence "Choo-Choo" Coleman ,Hobie Landrith and who could forget (or remember) Sherman "Roadblock" Jones. I think the center field clubhouse at the Polo Grounds was about 484 ft. from homeplate. Only a handfull of guys ever hit a ball into the bleachers on either side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.