1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best places for golf club shopping in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Nevyn, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

I am headed to Vegas in January with a buddy, with golf high on the agenda.

He is overdue to pickup new clubs, and his driver is broken so needs a new one. And since the US in general seems to have far better retail deals than Canada, the thought is he might do some club shopping while on the trip. I could probably be tempted into replacing my irons too for the right price (or if the gambling is going well enough). We will probably check out the Taylor Made facility, but I am guessing that that would only be the latest in equipment, and very unlikely to include any deals. Given the exchange rate, the deals will probably have to be pretty good to be worth it.

So does anyone have any suggestions for good places to get deals on golf equipment in Vegas and surrounding area? We will have a rental car.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas has most of the national golf chains, local shops, the TM center, of course, the better courses all have some extent of sales/fitting capability for at least one affiliated brand be it Callaway, PING, Titleist, Cobra, whomever.

The "best" deals on new equipment is buying a year or three old stuff from places like tgw.com and others of that ilk. You'll find other general purchase advice in one of the golf threads on the misc. board.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Given the exchange rate I don't see it being a smart move.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last time the exchange rate was this bad the US deals were still far better.

But after some looking online today it looks like the major canadian retailers have essentially the same prices on the big brands in Canadian dollars, which is a surprise. So not only not a deal but potentially a ripoff.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the taylor made facility was callaway I got to try out the various clubs and see what was best for me. My friend who came along also checked out the clubs and bought a set (I didn't buy anything). Callaway discounted the clubs and also included free shipping with my friend's clubs so it was better than buying them elsewhere. Certain times of the year they had a "tent" sale which included the new models and discounted older models. Not sure if Taylor made has the same bargains or has tent sales.

As for places to go, I usually check out Dick's sporting goods for golf stuff. I also go to Sports Authority as they sometimes mark down or have older clubs that are discounted. The sports authority in Henderson (near galleria mall) usually has an area that has some discounted golf shoes so I check that place out whenever I go to vegas to see if I can get a new pair of shoes. Golf Galaxy is also in Henderson (and another store in vegas), you can try out clubs and hit balls to see how the club feels. In September they had a sale and I picked up a pair of golf shoes (puma) for less than $40 (I play just about every week so my shoes only last a few years).

there are some other sports/golf stores but I haven't found anything worthwhile to buy from them.

Roger Dunn usually has a 90 day return policy so you may be able to pick up a slightly used set of clubs for a good price but too bad as they don't have a store in vegas.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For years I bought discounted stuff seemingly willy-nilly. This was particularly true of single clubs, be it a driver or a fairway. I didn't churn through irons rapidly but there often wasn't a lot of thought to that process either. After some years of this -- my golf amigo did this as well -- I/we decided we'd probably stepped over a lot of dollars picking up dimes.

The best gift an avid golfer, regardless ability, can give his/her self is a fitting, one by a teaching professional who is also a certified fitter, and hopefully in multiple brands. [Note: Yes, learn, practice, learn, practice ... but that's not the reality of the golf life of most players.] Two things are happening here. First, you are hitting stuff side-by-side, PING v Cobra v Wilson or whatever, with the same balls, under the same conditions. No more "best steak was here, no I think it might've been that place last year" folly since the comparo is, well, relative and comparative. Second, you're with someone who understands the swing, and even if not your go-to instructor you can have the dialogue and it will help the process. If you are in this category and you just gotta hafta can't-live-without-it need Titliest (or whatever), go see a Titleist fitter; it need not be the full dog/pony of a Titleist Performance Institute.

Folks who kinda just like to play can scale back one level and go to a multi-brand demo day. You can hit all the stuff, you'll get anywhere from a nominal to a pretty thorough fitting, and you're gonna be miles ahead. Now that does NOT mean you have to buy right then and there, but you will have a good idea of what brand(s) and model(s) you like, whether you spec best to an ultralight steel shaft in R-flex, and you'll have a good inkling of any tweaks you might need in length/lie. If you're standard, you pretty much can go shop retail outlets anywhere, online, looking for discounts on recent gear that's pretty much right in your wheelhouse; alchemy works no better today than it did for those guys in the Middle Ages, so that just-released whiz-bang iron is gonna ... perform like last year's version, and you'll save a bundle with the latter. And stock OEM shafts are pretty interchangeable at that level, weight, flex and material all being equal. (And nothing wrong with used.)

If you just kick it around the work-and-beer league six or seven nights a summer, get that all-in-one boxed set from Costco.

I'm a gearhead, I love this shit. I don't expect a change in guitar to make me Don Felder, but part of the enjoyment I get out of the game is tinkering. For gamers, though, I have two drivers, two putters (one I never use) and a set of 2012 model-year PING irons, so while I kick a lot of tires, I'm rather true to my school. (I change my wedges annually.) And my friends love it when I swap out because they get AWESOME deals on my old stuff ... unless they've been in my wallet too much recently and in that case it goes to the local high school or the youth program. lol

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.