1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pro V1 introduced in Vegas 15 years ago

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting read, thanks for posting.

3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still have a dozen Maxfli RM90 balata that I'm taking down to Cascata in February . . . .

Then I'll try the Pro V1

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or any modern ball, Dai, even less than a "tour" ball. I think you'll be shocked by the (poor) performance of those balatas particularly off the driver, since balatas were built to spin to launch as opposed to a current ball going at angle to launch, with low spin, and drivers performing accordingly. And they could be a bit mushy and out of round. I for one look forward to your side-by-side report!!

5. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I thought about them being out of round. I'll check 'em today. They've been in the box for all those years.

6. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wont even pick them prov1's up, give me a nike or callaway any day, they go.

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it also makes a difference what type of golfer you are. If you are a bogey or higher golfer I don't think it would be worth spending money on pro v1's since IMHO the lower costing balls will work for you.

I don't remember the last time I purchased golf balls but lately I just search and find them at my local muni courses. Haven't bought balls in probably 6 years, the last ones I bought I think were Wilson pro-staff's. I usually find the better balls and since I usually play just about every week I normally find lots of balls in certain areas of the courses I play.

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, you can't be serious.

but maybe you are.

I guess there's gotta be somebody who buys those balls or they wouldn't keep making them.

9. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still like my Maxfli Revolution that I played back in the 90s more than anything today.

but back then there were several good balls, Tour Professional, Tour Prestige, Revolution, etc.

these days, the only choice is red or black on your Pro V1.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bridgestone is on par with Titleist in every way except marketing budget.

There is an entire tier of golf balls below the ProV/B330/ZStar/etc. that don't run 45 a dozen but will help most any golfer over a TopRock or Molitor or whatever simply because of better spin on approach shots, and more spin on approach shots is actually far more important to middling players than skilled players.

11. BTSyndrome

BTSyndrome Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried PRO V1's for a while but now strictly play Bridgestone e6's....It helps simplify my game:
    I have all my irons dialed in to their exact yardage.

The e6's are my one hop and stop ( usually no more than about 1' to 2' from ball mark up to 7 iron)

With the Pro V's I always had to account for the... lie + slope of green + ball spin = How much the ball would back up from where it hits the green.
    I got tired of landing balls 8-12' feet passed the hole and watching it spin back past the flag by just as much.
    I'm only a low 80's with a few high 70's every so often kind of golfer. The more simple I can make it, the better I play.

Now I just hit it too the flag and it stops right there. If it doesn't... I'm screwed because I guarantee my putter will fail me :faint:

12. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last December at the Greenskeeper.org Indian Wells Golf Resort event, someone brought a few dozen unused Maxfli Balatas and we had a "Balata Ball Challenge" on the 17th hole. I loved balata balls back in the day but wow, was it odd hitting one now. I'd advise DaiLun to take some alternatives to Cascata.

For the last couple months, I've been playing the Top Flite Gamer that sell for something like 2 dozen for $30 at Dick's Sporting Goods and I love them. Great performance ball, as long as you can get over the stigma of seeing TOP-FLITE smeared across the label. (For comparison, I usually fluctuate between Bridgestone B330s and e5s.)

BTW, I finally read the article that started this thread. Good stuff. Wish it had said what goes into a ball being accepted on the conforming balls list, especially seeing it was such a huge performance jump.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think back then it was the initial velocity test or standard, and it was pretty unexacting compared to today's distance standard. It was easy to make a ball go far, it was harder to make it perform. That's where the modern multilayer was such a breakthrough. It became the longest ball and it had great control. It was a RockFlite Balata.

Gamer is a good ball. I buy most of my balls online, getting B330 Tours for 25 bucks.

14. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Golfsmith has ProV1 "practice" balls. These are not the recycled balls that were found in a pond and come in a mesh bag, but rather they have a small cosmetic imperfection. They are guaranteed to play identical to regular Pro Vs, as the imperfection is strictly cosmetic and doesn't affect performance. They cost around $30-35 per dozen and come mixed with 1 and 1x, though you can open the boxes and mix and match to get all of the same kind if you want.

15. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm telling you that where I play, if I find a prov1, I'll leave it laying there(and my partners wont play it either),sometimes if we're waiting on the tee, we'll smash those crusty titleists across the road into the woods just to pass time, titleist's have a reputation of not going very far, no one wants to hit a dead ball.

Do people actually buy balls? I'm a pretty good golfer and find more than I lose, no need to spend money on balls, although a couple years back I did buy a 15 pack of Nike's at menards for $9, still have a couple sleeves left for future use in case i start to suck..

16. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I just played a Black Tour Balata 2 weekends ago.
    I showed everyone before I started........didn't know how long it would be -
    til I hit it in a pond....bye bye.
    I found it in my basement -- I have several milk crates full of unscathed "used" balls --
    I found them - back when I caddied.
    That balata had to be 20 yrs old ?
    Everyone got a kick outta that !

17. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what Shadow and other good courses use on their range. Also what the PGA Tour uses on the range. Nothing like warming up with brand new ProV's to get your swing feeling good.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At tour events players hit their brand of ball on the range, not just ProVs.

It was funny, at this year's ANA (Dinah Shore) Pro-Am, I walked on the range, grabbed a basket of Bridgestone tours and was immediately stopped by a marshall who pointed at the stripers on the other table for we plebeians. lol

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.