1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest points refund?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by wanker751, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I know when I used points to book travel and I change the flight I get a refund back of the difference.

But I never cancelled a flight outright. IF I were to book and cancel, do I get the fund back or a voucher to use them within a year? OR nothing at all?

Just curious cause if I book my January and cannot go cause wife is not feeling well or god forbid any other issues with pregnancy arise (bed rest etc...) Obviously I would cancel either way but just curious.

2. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They will refund the points to your account. The $11.20 for the TSA fee you will need to keep your confirmation number to reapply it to a new booking.

3. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks...I am worried more about 20k or so points....than the $10.

I want to book as early as possible to get lowest fare (MLK weekend so lowest is relative) but in case Mrs. Wanker changed her mind I wanted to have an option to get pts back.

4. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually had to do this for MLK this year. WE booked way in advance then stuff came up and we had to cancel. Instant refund of points, and next time you book just reapply the TSA fees using the old confirmation number.

5. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    - - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much. Those only last 1 year though right? With the new baby on the way I do not see us traveling anywhere in a year

6. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct

7. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah I double booked myself by accident in August, they cancelled and refunded my points, EBCI and TSA fees..no mention of a 12 exp date

8. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually u can REFUND your fees; no need to save them for latet

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I believe, at least with a flight booked using points, if you cancel outright, they give you the option of either saving the fee amount as travel funds under that confirmation number, or having it refunded to your credit card (the better choice).

I haven't cancelled a flight booked using $ in a long time, so I'm not sure if they give you the option of a refund or whether the fees just automatically get swept into the travel funds.

10. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks that is good to know.

11. bcc

bcc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be careful cancelling a flight if you have bought the Early Bird. If you cancel, you will lose the EB and the money you paid for it. To keep the EB, you should CHANGE the flight to other dates.

- bcc

12. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never buy early board. I always check a bag so getting on and off asap doesn't matter to me but thanks for the information

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.