1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Two Jalapeno Questions

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. I freeze my jalapenos for future use. Can they be pickled after being frozen?

2. Can they be roasted after being frozen?

I only have one plant. Although it produces like crazy, there is not enough at any given time to do anything except to knock a few into chili or eggs. The rest have to be frozen.

I cut up three of them into a fresh batch of chili I made yesterday and they were really good.

2. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly think you are better off making a batch of something (salsa or paste) and freezing THAT than trying to freeze and revive the pepper. However, one time we made a tomatoe puree(?) with jalepenoes and froze that in ziplock freezer bags (within the freezer bag we had individual "servings" in sandwich size bags so we could take out a bit at a time without thawing the whole thing). Worked out well and not sure if the freezing thing had anything to do with it but seemed warmer after thawing.
    If you find a better way that works post it please.

3. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know the proper way, but what I do is char them on the grill, toss them in a paper bag for 5-10 minutes, remove skins and most of the seeds then freeze in small packs.

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds cool.

Breeze, why only one plant?

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because I only have enough room on my patio for 6 total plants. In other years I had 2 Jalapenos and I was up to me arse in them. So I cut back to 1 jalapeno. I have two Roma tomato plants for sauce, 1 regular tomato plant for sandwiches and salads, 1 green bell for stuffed peppers, salads and such, and one Italian sweet red pepper for making roasted red peppers as a condiment.

The one jalapeno produces like crazy. I have 2 quart bags in the freezer for use with eggs, chili and spaghetti sauce. Maybe when I am back on my feet (I hope to get a walking cast on Monday), I'll pick what's left on the plant and pickle them for use as a condiment.

I'm toying with the idea of extending the patio out 6 feet so I could get another 6 plants going, but the cost of that is balanced by that money would go to better use as Craps stakes. The ground is impossible to dig in, which leaves out in ground gardening.

6. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grow all kinds of pepper's Jal's ,Hab's, cayenne and this year added ghost chilies . I have a dehydrator and dry them up and put them in a food processer to make hot pepper flakes, seal in a spice jar last forever it seems.. I have also made homemade hot sauces basically blend peppers with some vinegar in blender tons of variations can be found on you tube

7. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am guessing that thawed peppers would roast okay if you're careful, but would break down if you pickled them. They would not be crisp, if crispness is your goal.

Props to you for growing 'em any way you can. A bonus crop of Romas sprouted right next to my composter this year. Serendipitous organic gardening!

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pickle 'em up front and then they are preserved. Or make chipotles!

I don't usually blister jalapeƱos as the skin is so thin. But chiles do freeze well and make great comebacks in anything braised or stewed, as a garnish or for salsa, anything that doesn't necessitate a still-complete chile.

9. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing to add here but just gotta say, you guys are blowing me away with your jalapeno and cooking knowledge. :nworthy: I just learned a bunch of things I never knew, so thanks!

10. PTC Larry

PTC Larry Off We Go

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I blanch jalapenos before I freeze them whole. Use them for everything I would use a fresh one for except for stuffing them, they don't seem as good as fresh stuffed ones.

11. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have dozens plants in my garden and eat them everyday.
    1) Yes. But why don't you pickle them now?
    2) No. For roast, better use fresh ones.

12. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dry mine in a super slow oven all day or overnight, then grind

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.