1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving from McCarran to El Cortez

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by alburtis26, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alburtis26

alburtis26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If anyone has experience in this, please help. First time staying downtown, and though we usually drive from strip to downtown (Paradise/Industrial to Sahara and then north on LV BLVD), and park at the D, I am trying to find easier way to get downtown and get to parking garage at El Co.

Judging by google maps, it looks like I can get on Maryland Pkwy and just head north, ending up on 13th St., then west on Fremont. (looks simple enough). Does anyone know of a problem or any traffic reason that it won't work?

Also, our first meal in Vegas is always In-N-Out , we are from PA, so In-N-Out is a treat for us. Since we won't be near the one on Dean Martin, it looks like we can just stop at one on Maryland Pkwy. on our way to the hotel.

Please, if anyone knows of a reason this might not be a good idea, tell us. I know sometimes cities/municipalities have strange traffic patterns and they don't show on google maps (my driveway is listed as a "street" on google maps, but anyone trying to use it to get anywhere but my garage would be disappointed). I don't mind finding my way in cities that I am visiting, just don't want to do it when it can be avoided and I am anxious to get to the hotel.

Thanks in advance!

Back again!
  2. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure about your route, but when I head downtown from McCarran, I always take two rights out of the rental center to get on Las Vegas Blvd, then an immediate left exit for I-15 North. If you want In n Out, there's one just off the exit for Tropicana West. Then get back on and take 1-15 North to 95. The exit will say Downtown LV. Follow the Downtown LV signs. Stay all the way to the right and take your first exit and this will bring you onto Main Street. Take a left on Ogden and then a right on 7th to get to the El Cortez parking garage.

3. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    atom is right.
    From the rental car center, it's not easy to go to Maryland.
    Just use I-15.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just use the maps app on my smartphone. It will get me to where I need to go with current traffic conditions.

5. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to take Maryland. Just go down Las Vegas Blvd to Tropicana, take a right to Maryland, take a left. I don't like freeways, so I try to look for alternative routes, and this one is pretty painless. Probably not any faster or closer, but less stressful for me.

6. alburtis26

alburtis26 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Tatterdema -
    My wife hates us getting on highways too. Glad to know there are no problems with Maryland. Faster doesn't matter so much and less crowded sounds great.

Back again!
  7. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RIGHT out of the Center, RIGHT onto Warm Springs Rd, RIGHT onto The STRIP (Las Vegas Blvd). 3 rights - 45 seconds?

Usually I arrive early on Tuesday mornings so I go downtown, whether I am staying there or not! (Taco Tuesday)

I-15 Am I in such a hurry? I WANT to drive down the strip, Soak it in. See what's going on. Stay on Las Vegas BLVD and El Cortez will be on your right when you hit Freemont.

We do our last meal at In and Out, on Dean Martin ( I didn't last time and the wife was not happy), but you just turn west on Tropicana and it's not far on the right side. It's much easier and closer than the Maryland Parkway from the car rental center

Then you have all the choices - hop on I-15, - go back to the Strip and enjoy the view, take Dean Martin/ Indusial It just depends on what time of day it is, traffic and how quickly you want to get to El Cortez.

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  8. Sethto80

Sethto80 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could always take eastern ave from the car rental. Probably easier to get to than Maryland. It will take you to Fremont. Then just turn left. Both streets have plenty of stop lights and depending on the time of day, they do get busy but it's never a standstill. The farther north you go, the neighborhoods change a bit. The area around the Boulevard mall can be a little sketchy. (Maryland and desert inn) just depends on what you are use to. actually it's kind of run down all the way to the el Cortez. I live on south eastern in Henderson so I have traveled downtown this way quite a bit. Love the Cortez. You could always drive the strip and it probably wouldn't take you any longer.

9. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.