1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dumb question of the week - Pandora

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at my dentist's office and noticed commercial free music piped in. They said it was Pandora and I always assumed you had to pay for that. Anyway, came home and tried it on the desktop and I love it. I was told there are a few commercials but so far in 3 weeks I haven't heard any. I'm also able to build my own library.

Now the dumb question. The Pandora site says my car with Bluetooth can get Pandora. How do I do that? Do I have to call on my phone? That's not going to happen on my flip phone and 18 cents a minute. I thought maybe it was like Sirrus which I can receive.

2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will need either a smart phone, a Pandora enabled Nav unit or a stereo that is Pandora ready. Time to get a smartphone Joe!

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smart phone works fine with Pandora on the car stereo. Not to state the obvious, you will have to download the Pandora app for the smart phone and set it up. Obviously, I think, again, you need Bluetooth capability as well.

4. wizard950

wizard950 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,
    You definitely need a smart phone with bluetooth for Pandora to work on your bluetooth equipped car. I had a cheapo flip phone for years from T-Mobile and finally got a smart phone over the Memorial Day weekend. I got a Moto-e phone from Walmart for $69 and signed up for Boost Mobile for $30 a month flat rate with unlimited data, text and phone. Transfered my number and contacts and now I'm in business. Boost is owned by Sprint so I get to use the Sprint network.

Pandora in the car is fabulous. I have about 40 stations in my library and have it set on shuffle. Great! Love it!

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stations for Lynyrd Skynyrd, J. Geils Band, Foo Fighters, Heart, Doobie Brothers.

6. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rarely use Pandora but someone in the know recently suggested to me that Spotify is now the best tool for streaming. Allegedly the Spotify library is much larger than Pandora. Any recommendations for one vs the other?

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never tried spotify - I'm fine with Pandora alternating with Amazon Prime music (at work - I don't stream at home since I don't have enough data for phone or internet - boonies - and in my car I have satellite).

Shhh - I also actually listen to cds. The sound quality is better on cds than when I use my mp3 and an aux cable :ssst:

8. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What they probably mean by using bluetooth is connecting to play audio via Bluetooth from your phone. Typically you'll need a smart phone with some sort of data plan. On my radio I have a AUX/Bluetooth setting where I use my iPhone as a music player to listen to FiveHundy Podcast or to rock out. Though I think more cars are starting to include Pandora apps built in.

If you have DirectTV they have a pandora app on the receiver and you can play it through your TV. I do this when I have people over and need background music.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    one note is that Spotify premium allows offline listening, so you can put stuff on your phone and then listen to it in the car without using data.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all! I'm sticking with the flip phone and $7 per month fee, which applies to my 18 cent per minute calls. Current credit total is $155.

I did negotiate Sirrus down to $8 per month, but that contract comes up end of July, so I was looking for alternatives in case they don't want to play the game again.

But, thanks for the replies. :nworthy:

11. carrie_dave_and_cody

carrie_dave_and_cody Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had a problem with Sirrus negotiating multiple times. Usually I just ask for a retention agent, and they have the power to cut the bill and keep me as a client. We used to have 3 Sirrus radio's that were active, now we are down to 1 in my husbands SUV and I am on a free 3 month trial in the car I just bought, so only 1 paid. I don't think I will renew when it is up I don't mind not having it in my car.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We each lifetimed years ago when we had Sirrus in one car and XM in the other. We have several transfers left on each and if at the end of the day it ends up costing us a few extra bills we didn't sit around nickel and diming each step. It have it going on the laptop most of the time if not playing iTunes and we stream both through the home entertainment system, plus we have the music channels on cable. Anyone played with Apple Music yet?

I miss vinyl.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bumping this up because I have another question about Pandora.

I did the free download to both our desktops back in July. We have never heard a commercial in all that time. When making my next dental exam appointment, I mentioned that to the receptionist because that is where I first heard it. She said she has it on her home desktop and that I must have paid for the premium service because she always hears commercials.

I never paid for anything from Pandora. Did we somehow luck out? Could Ad Block Plus be a factor, we have that on both PCs?

14. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you let your sirius expire and wait a month or so they will give it to you for five bucks a month for five months. Then at that point you can badger them to give it to you at this rate again

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guessing you are just lucky not have commercials. I use it an Amazon most days. We get a few commercials on Pandora. They are all local. Maybe nobody has signed up in your area?

- - - Updated - - -

Just wondering. When you say current credit total is $155 - what is that? And what is your monthly TOTAL cell bill?

16. ngrund

ngrund High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    also check out I heart radio app/website besides getting to listen to live radio stations from all over you can make custom channels for artists/genres you like

17. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yes Adblock will block all the ads on Pandora.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monthly cell phone bill is $7 paid quarterly. The entire amount is added to my credits each quarter to use at a rate of 18 cents per minute on calls. If I ever used all my credits, then I would have to "top up" the account, to buy more 18 cent minutes. It will never happen. $7 per month is very cheap to have a phone in the car in case of a road emergency.

In Vegas I carry it with me if we are meeting friends, otherwise it stays in the room.

I realize this is not practical for the people who carry their cell everywhere, but it works for us. We each have a phone and they stay in the cars unless we are traveling. No texting, no internet, we use the phones to make phone calls and we survive just fine.

Virgin Mobile is the provided and they do have data plans.

19. redzone

redzone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a heads up. Pandora is no longer available in Canada. Licensing constraints only allow U.S., Australia and New Zealand.

20. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know you're not the defensive type, Joe, but no need for you to explain why it is you guys do certain things and why not other things. I know there have been "dinosaur" quips here at times, but that don't no matter.

It is easy to get the smartphone hook, and I can give you gobs of reasons why and endless circumstances where it was indispensable in my leisure, work and travels. But like so much, for most there's also some bit of addiction going on, too.

Carry on.

Freakin' dinosaur!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.