1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Max bet question

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by broncofn, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went thru this scenario this past weekend. Sailboat, plee, packer, msbj and I were playing on sailboats reserved bacc table. On one hand i pushed my chips in on a bet and told the pit to give me an X amt if it lost and went to stand next to sailboat and plee. The max bet is 20k and i thought i had less. They took the bet and we won and i was over the max by an X amt and they only honored the 20k.

Should they have honored the bet for that one time and what wouldve happened if i lost? Ive already gotten answers from my friends at the table but it is still in my mind.

After we won the hand, they pushed the extra chips i had above the max bet on the hand back and would not pay the overage i had and said they would have done the same if i would have lost the bet.

Ive only gone above table limits once but nate put my exta on his hand and the pit told the dealer that it was fine and "they saw nothing".

2. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say it's their fault for not verifying it before hand. They should have paid you on it, and just warned you not to do it again. I'm sure they would have just taken all of it if you had lost.

Geeze...I'm supporting a Bronco's fan. What's the world coming to?

3. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ive had it happen ,

they only pay max bet if you lost they would have counted before they took the bet away and returnd the rest.

now i had this happen i was at reno playing max bet it was only 500$ but i didnt know it and neither did the dealer and was play over lost a few finaly won a hand so dealer calls out the payment pit boss comes over and says thats over table max and he can only pay u table max and i said i just lost the same bet a few times and he took it it, the pit boss asked the dealer wich he agreed so they agreed to pay me what i had up after that , they stood there and watched me like a hawk.

usualy they call out table max each time when you bet to protect themselves

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, I've even heard that once or twice, and I barely play tables. However, that max was only $500 I think.

5. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive heard them say table max or check play in ac. Hardly ever hear it in vegas since they are used to it there.

6. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. They will only play table max. If you had lost, they would only have taken the table max and pushed the rest back to you.

I see the same thing in craps. If I make a mistake when I make my odds bet and go over the 3x,4x,5x. They only pay the max odds and will push back if it is a losing bet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  7. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few times i have inadvertently made an odds bet over the limit. The amount over the odds limit (5X, e.g.), they paid as a place bet. Seemed fair to me.

8. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What if you had lost the bet?

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes this is normal. Table max is table max unless you have special limits. They will count it out at the end and give you the extra if you lose.

Although they usually notice before the hand.

I often put a 25k chip out and just say player takes.

They say table max and put a 20k lammer on the side and deal the hand . If I lose they give me 5k change or if I win they pay me only 20.

10. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone at the table said the same thing. I was 4k over but didnt realise it and they never counted it out until the hand was over for the payout.

11. mkcoroner

mkcoroner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...I am not a max bet table player...but, IMHO, I find it hard to believe that a dealer will count the chips that he/she is taking from you to place in their rack after beating you...seems like a waste of time/effort....obviously if they are paying you they will count it up and, if you are over the maximum, only pay you the maximum. Again, with no experience in max play and IMO... MK

12. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know I'm always on your side, but you did have a mixed stack of denomination chips so it wasn't a quick eyeball count.

13. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they do it every time if you're betting big enough and the stack is more than 3 or 4 chips.

one reason is so the pit boss can keep an accurate count of your rating.

the other reason is exactly for this scenario.

you could turn them into the gaming board if they were to take chips over the limit.

14. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen a dealer count a stack of nickle chips (5x odds on a 15 passline bet....so $75) to make sure the player wasn't over max. He'll push the overage back right away. Either way, if the bet is paid....it will only be paid on the max bet allowed.

15. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys must get some strange dealers. Anything overpaid in odds always gets paid as a place bet. I've never seen them NOT do this on an over bet on odds.
    Perhaps because I usually tip well?

16. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the correct amount of odds behind. I'm just saying what I've seen. I'm in Vegas in 10 days, I'll actually ask the question and report back.
    What I have seen on my bet is that I play the same way all the time. I am always full odds. If I have forgotten to put my odds down, the dealer will tell me to drop the odds on the table an pay me....after the point has hit. I've seen the same thing on a hard way hit (and it's not the dealer's respsonsibiltiy)....if I haven't come back on my hard way after the number came easy, the dealer has paid me anyways.

17. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I have seen the dealer take the overage and place it on the line like a place bet.

18. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I inquired at both Paris and PH. If your odds bet is over and they do not notice it prior to the outcome being resolved, the overage will be pushed back. Both properties confirmed that the overage in the past was converted to a place bet. This is no longer the case.

19. Gamesman

Gamesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. Maybe what they say and do is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.