1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Road Trip.....Seattle >Vegas......"New Route" Input ?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Camp Rusty, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heynow Gamblers and Road Trippers........need some input on something new this time if you have any ideas.

Renting a car and heading out with no agenda......just need to arrive in Vegas on October 7th and was looking to take three or four days to get there this time.

I have done it in one day ( brutal ), one night, and two nights. Usually head down I-5 to Shasta City, over to Reno and down from there. One nighter is usually Reno, two nighter is Klamath Falls OR and Hawthorne NV. Thinking I might do it in three nights this time which gives me tons of flexibility.

Have done the Extra Terrestrial Hiway, also down through Mono Lake and over, also have dipped in to Death Valley and back on separate trips. Was thinking maybe head over to Burns OR and then down through central Nevada ? I easily do ten hour days, try to max at twelve.

Any one done this sort of craziness ? I love small town county fairs, rodeos, "city days", and long desolated roads. Not to be confused with long walks on the beach.

My wife refuses to do this sort of foolishness, stating that this is why God invented airplanes so I just need to swoop in to McCarran and get her on the 7th.

I will probably return my usual route up to Jackpot for one night, then through Boise and on to the Seattle the next day.

Please, no need to question my sanity, we have already established my thorough lack of :drooling:

Thanks everyone....
    Rusty :):):)

2. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Portland I really like to take I84 east thrunthe Columbia river gorge, very very scenic. Done it twice going to LV. There's a hotel in Provo( I think it's Provo, have to look it up again)that I like to stay at right off the freeway. It's a little over half way to Vegas from Portland. I've also taken I5 south and then cut thru the redwoods going to Lake Tahoe, also very scenic and roughly half way to LV.

3. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right on marcianofan.......haven't done either of those. Cool Info, hadn't considered either.

Haven't been to the Redwoods in a long long time.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got a few favorite routes from Seattle to Vegas. My favorite is down the coast, visit mom & dad in Pismo and then Vegas. Now they've moved to near Boise, so that's out. :)

I've been doing the route from Seattle - Boise, then south at Twin Falls to Ely and on to Vegas. It's a pretty easy route with lots of options for shortening up those long driving days and plenty of little side routes when I need to get out of the car and walk around.

I've been looking at another route that goes south down through Bend, OR and then south down the west side of NV through Tonopah.

5. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Sonya......I usually return through Twin and Boise, stopping in Jackpot sometimes, depending on when I leave Vegas.

I liked marcianofan's Redwood idea but where I am leaning now is leaving Seattle early Monday to Albany OR to visit a friend for a couple hours, then over to Burns OR for the first night.

From Burns I'll head to Eureka NV, looks like a funky little town and a lot of two lane road to explore on the way. From Eureka to Vegas is an easy day also.

I was thinking Bend for the first night's stop also (with all those breweries :beer:), but I think I want to gain that two hours between Bend and Burns for exploring the next day on the way to Eureka.

The only thing I miss going this way is my first night out is not in Nevada so no Monday Night Football betting......but that is probably OK as my pro game is not as good as my NCAA game.

Thanks again for the input Sonya
    Rusty :):):)

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just did an epic west coast roader. Didn't get over Vegas way, of course, but did 3200 miles up the 101 and 1, through Oregon and Washington, into the panhandle twice, and back to the central coast via Bend. I'd cut over toward Yakima and then laterally across central and eastern Oregon, down the gut of Nevada. And there aren't enough words to describe how awesome is Reno to the Owens Valley on the 395, as it appears you know. The best rule on these trips is to avoid the interstate as much as possible.

7. akicks

akicks Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done the Albany-Burns-Winnemucca portion and recommend it highly. Be aware that there is a lot of nothing out there - I really enjoy the scenery but make sure you keep your gas tank filled when you can and have water with you. Have a Basque meal in Winnemucca.

8. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone.........looks like I am set with a reservation in Eureka NV at the Eureka Gold Country Inn.

I'll keep a load of gas on board akicks, and a gallon of H2o.

Changed up my return route.......heading back through Salt Lake City and on to Bozeman, then Spokane, and back to Seattle. That one unfortunately will be all interstate.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some great eats in Spokane!

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be sure to update how the drive is from SLC back to Seattle. I've been thinking about taking that route home. But slowly, with lots of stops.

Spokane does have some good food. I had some great sushi there last trip. Go figure.

11. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sister lives in Spokane and is a foodie, I am sure we will eat somewhere with good food.....unless she is in the cooking mood, she is an excellent cook. Thinking win-win for me :):):)

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great place to know your way around a kitchen, too.

Consider the chef's selection at Wandering Table.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.