1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which Car Rental Company Offers Satellite Radio?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by UncleFester, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleFester

UncleFester Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This may seem like a strange question. We take extended stays in LV, and rent a car. Satellite radio adds so much enjoyment to the time spent in the car. Dollar used to have satellite radio in their mid size rentals. Everything seems degraded, and they give us blank looks when we ask. The obvious suggestion is to bump up to a luxury category. But, again, they give us blank looks when we ask.

Does anyone out there who rents cars in LV know which rental company offers satellite radio?

We would be deeply grateful for a tip.

Thank you.

2. 6Mermaids

6Mermaids Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented a car last week from Hertz and it had it. It was an economy car. I didn't request it...I think I was just lucky. I rent cars from Hertz often and sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't. I do think you can request it and pay a bit more per day.

3. UncleFester

UncleFester Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you very much 6Mermaids. That really helps us.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    National does too... I live in the mountains and LOVE my XM/Sirius radio. I always rent a Yukon or Tahoe from National when I travel and the satellite radio seems to come with it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  5. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alamo as well. My current rental, a Hyundai Elantra has it but not active. Can still listen to preview channel which is "Hits 1" with ads intermixed for Sirius. Sometimes you get lucky with a newer car and the trial is still active.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems that many of them do. I never take it as the daily rates are high.

An alternative is to do Pandora from your phone. Almost every car I have rented recently had bluetooth and/or a auxiliary plug. (you would need a cable for that)

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes also SiriusXM is running a free promo period where they'll open up a handful of stations for a week or two to anyone with a capable radio.

(I can't remember renting recently where this WASN'T an option - I would do a check on a consolidator website - personally we book through Costco Travel - for the cheapest price for the size car you want and do a demo booking to see if satellite comes up as an option - usually on the same page as GPS and car seats ;-)

I don't do streaming music - costs too much in data and we have a shared business plan - but I almost always carry my mp3 player for the plane and then if we'll be renting a car I throw the aux cable into my bag.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Las Vegas, Advantage used to, but haven't used them for maybe 1 1/2 years. Enterprise does not.

9. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dont pay for it w/Rental company if your a subscriber

If your a subscriber to SeriesXM

Many new, late model rental cars have SeriesXM equipped radios, If your a subscriber turn to Channel 1,(for the cars radio ID#) & call XM,
    As a perk for subscribers, they can activate the radio Temporarily for your enjoyment,
    Make sure your in L.o.s. (Line of Sight) to the open sky & poof, your enjoying sat radio in 30 sec.

If your not, get ready to pay an extra $7-$10 a day from the rental company, /yech

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used Alamo back in May and am positive that I had SiriusXM with all channels available. I know this because I remember that my girlfriend kept getting annoyed when I switched away from Hits1 for, at various times, the Mets game or XMU.

As an aside, I've had satellite radio for more than ten years now and absolutely love it. For the last few months I've been internet-only, but I really do like having something that's commercial-free but still has humans involved with picking music. The pop stations are about what you'd expect, but there are plenty of good stations for discovering new music.

11. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Avis does.

12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, my husband has been an XM subscriber since the very beginning (1999?) I joined the plan around 2002 or 2003 I think. I made fun of him at first but now - it's ideal! We don't have much overlap in musical tastes, but if we ever take a road trip, we can listen to a comedy channel! And I commute 60 miles a day so I enjoy having a variety of options.

When I rent a car, I'm usually not in it enough to care. We'll always check to see if we can get it for free (because it's a new car, still activated, or they're running a freebie weekend) but otherwise it's not a big deal for those trips.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I'll try that in December. I wonder if you can do that on line? When I got the new car I transferred the existing account over without a phone call.

14. UncleFester

UncleFester Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outstanding advice Film-Noir. Thank you! Who knew?

15. UncleFester

UncleFester Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to thank you all for your advice on this: DMR, HoyaHeel, 6Mermaids, Smartone, Fligster, nostresshere, Film-Noir, 44inarow. There was no easy way to research this. I owe each of you for enhancing the enjoyment of our trip. Good luck everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.