1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

We bought our eleventh house yesterday.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have been looking for over a year now in a very specific area with no luck. Yesterday, first day on the market and we wrote an offer and they accepted at 11 PM yesterday.

I know some of you are scratching your heads and going 11 houses! 1978 to present and two of them we were in for 14 years combined. Except for Vegas, all of them in WI.

One of them was a Lake Michigan home we owned and the IL buyers wanted to be in by a certain summer date. We were in a rush and just settled on a home. Lived there 18 months and sold. One was the Vegas home. Two years and out and then we again settled for a house back here in WI. 14 months and out of that one.

We (my wife) have gotten very good at packing & boxing. I hope this is the last move.

We were looking to downsize and even considered a condo but that just isn't for me. We did downsize by a whopping 200 sq ft, but at least I don't have 73 pages of condo association rules and regs to read through. If the snow and grass get to be too much, I'll just hire somebody. That's a hell of a lot cheaper than monthly condo fees.

After closing, the painting begins!

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How cool for you folks! Congratulations!!! More power to ya... I lived in two-(2) houses growing up and have lived in two-(2) houses my adult life. The thought of boxing stuff and moving terrifies me, so we just keep accumulating crap in the same place!

3. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same with me! LOL!

4. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're right about the condo thing Joe. Condo was my third home. Big downsize from 2250 sq. ft. to 1250 sq. ft. Kids were gone and didn't need the room. Had a garage sale and gave away or threw out everything we didn't want. It's cleansing for the soul to release all the junk and start anew. Condo was nice but as you said with maintenance fees and rules and regulations, we moved back into a small ranch home. Our property now could hold the six unit condo we lived in. Good luck on your new home. :thumbsup:

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations! I just helped my parents downsize and move and it was quite an experience. My mom was so funny about how small the house seemed. Then she cleaned and called me all excited because it only took an hour to do the whole house. I told her to just keep thinking about all that grout and tile she won't have to clean anymore. Of course she still had to have here giant high ceilings. I think her request for lightbulb help is just her way of getting me to visit more often. :)

Hope your closing goes smoothly and you're moved in as painlessly as possible.

6. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are complete opposites. We've been married for almost 45 years and still live in our "starter home." We didn't intend to be here forever, but our home was adaptable. It's two stories. The second floor worked for the years we were raising kids. Kids are now gone and we have a main floor master bedroom so the second floor is for guests. I cannot imagine moving the accumulation!

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just bought my very first house a couple of months ago. So far, I've just gone nuts doing all the things I wasn't "allowed" to do in rentals. Painting, flooring, building crap in the backyard, etc etc. I should probably rein it in now ... but I'm having so much fun!

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome Joe! But until the 2nd paragraph of your post I thought you owned 11 houses! (that would've been awesome too!)

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, I can't hang with shared walls, folks above/below. Give me SFR or give me, well, SFR.

Congrats, Joe!!!!

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was an absentee landlord for a few years and after dealing with tenants, I said never again.

11. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Congrats Joe,
    But......Joe.......I really hate painting ceilings, the most !
    I won't be showing up to help, that day !

12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats! Good luck with the move & the painting!

I moved around quite a bit growing up (my parents had multiple marriages, I went to boarding school, college, 2 grad schools and worked in different states etc) When my husband and I got married, we bought land and built a house - my first rule was NO WHITE PAINT. I relented on the trim, but that's it. I was SOOOOOOO sick of builders/renters white. I've lived in this state (and now, in this house) longer than any place growing up. We don't want to stay here forever (we love our house & land but hate the town) but my husband and his parents own ~40 rental properties locally so it will take a damn long time to divest so we can move - and NOT be absentee landlords. Ah well. We all make choices in life. While I wish I could walk to the library and a pub, for now I get to garden naked....

13. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be years before I can sell my house... still underwater... bought it literally a few months before everything went to hell..:thumbsdown:

That being said who knows if I could have gotten a loan when rules tightened up as well. I just wish I could get out from under the PMI!

Either way congrats! I am with you on the hiring people to do stuff.

14. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've watched a few episodes of Tiny House on HGTV. I can't believe people think they can function comfortably in a 100 square foot shoebox! Where do you put anything??

15. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats, Joe! It's still "Doublewide Dynasty" for us, but we're looking for a stick-built house #2 in the not-too-distant future!

16. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I read the title of buy lots of houses I thought you had the money to buy lots of houses as an investment. I have met people who are buying lots of houses in Vegas as an investment. I think it is a great idea for people with a business mind.

My parents were renters all their lives. I also became a renter. I used to live in beautiful apts in several locations. I used to live one block away on the North Shores in Oxnard and had fun. I also lived one block from the Santa Monica Beach and could see the ocean from my bedroom and would go sailing with a Marina del rey club and also with a friend who had a sail boat in the Marina.
    I moved around every few years.
    Then one day I bought me a condo that has all kinds of rules. But the rules are good because I can get several pets like cats and small dogs. I don't have any pets presently but I plan to get me two kittens soon.

I have lived in my condo now for 18yrs. Guess what? My mortgage payments and condo dues are affordable and CHEAPER THAN RENT in my location. I love my condo, I like my neighbors. But I am getting bored and now want to find another location to move to because I am getting bored with my city. I am thinking of becoming a renter in Laguna Woods in Laguna Beach. The rents are affordable in the Senior Complex. I would like to live in a senior community just to try it out. I also like Big Bear Lake in Calif.

I would love to live in Vegas but I was born with the DNA GENES of a gambler and I would lose my money just for fun on the slot machines. I would win and lose, win and lose. Most of my family members are gamblers since the 1800's.
    Instead my addiction is going on Cruise Ships often. I prefer to do that instead.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.