1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Yet, Another Dealer Tip Question

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by TxFoldEm, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxFoldEm

TxFoldEm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, I'v read through some of the threads regarding "how much" you shoul tip the dealer... my question is "how OFTEN" should you tip the dealer?

I like to play Ultimate Texas Hold 'Em table gamd (as well as Texas Hold 'Em Bonus)... Anyway, if my average bet is $10 and I always plan to tip the dealer the my average bet, how often should you do it?? Once an hour? Twice an hour? After so many hands?

2. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you plan on tipping the dealer a total of $10, why not spread it out...dollar here, dollar there every 5-10 minutes or so. Probably wouldn't hurt to throw your tips out when the pit boss comes by either.

3. TxFoldEm

TxFoldEm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Trigger... I like your way better than mine!

4. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually ask the dealer where they want the bet, if they want it on trips. In Craps I ask if they want all small...etc..

I do the the idea of spreading around VS 1 bet.

5. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will piggy-back on this because I am too lazy to look through the other thread. What to dealers prefer a straight tip or to place a bet for them. When I sit at a table I will usually place a bet for them on my first hand, equal to my $5 bet. After that I tend to tip $5 every 1/2 hour or so right to them. I prefer to do a straight tip because I feel bad when they don't win.

6. kleland

kleland Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the blackjack table, every time I get a black jack I will tip the dealer a 5 dollar bet. If the table is cold, then I will usually throw one or 2 bets out there in the course of 30 minutes or so. I will also tip faster if I see the table winning overall and no one giving anything back to the dealer, even if I am losing. It's not the dealers fault that I lose, plus a little karma never hurts. I also leave a tip at the end of my session to say thanks. I sorta follow the same at the craps table, I will place a pass line bet for them and at the end of my session will tip them as I leave. I know it's not poker, but I imagine if I played that I would follow along the same lines.

7. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play a $1 PL bet for my craps dealers every point. I give them $1 - $3 in odds depending on the point. I give them a $1 hardway play on every even point (or any other time I'm playing hardways). They also get $1 bet on fire if I'm at a property that offers that bet.

It isn't a ton, but its every point, so it adds up. If the table is hot, we all in, if its cold, we all lose.

When I leave the table I always leave a tip, if I'm down they get whatever $1 chips I have left, if I'm up I give them a % of what I won.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's up to you, if I'm on a roll I might tip the dealer 3 or 4 hands in a row, other times I'll never do it. there are no rules or even expectations when it comes to dealer tokes. There are really dumb people that tip bet for the dealer every hand.

9. Letter_E

Letter_E Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tip what you feel, but try to feel at least something at some point. When I'm playing carnival games, I tip the dealer whenever I hit the "bonus" bet at least 5x the bet. For instance on Pai Gow, I'll tip on full house or better, but games like Mississippi Stud or Let it Ride, I'll tip if I get a paying pair in the hole if it leads to anything above that pair. And then there's the random "change the action on the table tip". But if the dealer is acting like the stereotypical "cooler", I consider that like bad service at dinner, and they ain't getting crap.

10. debriley

debriley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a blackjack tipper. Every time I get a blackjack, I put up 5 for the dealer. If I end up doubling or splitting during the hand, I do the same for the dealers bet. I rarely tip without a blackjack......sometimes it seems like I tip a lot and sometimes like I'm not a tipper, depending on how the cards fall. If I'm doing well and rest of table isn't tipping, I will toss out a non-blackjack bet on occasion, but in general like my method

11. debriley

debriley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As for 3 card poker or c4p, which I sometimes play, I just give dealer a toke for a good hand. Usually $5 if I get a straight, $25 if I get 3 of kind or straight flush. I don't bet for the dealer on those games, just toss the tote.

12. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me there is no set time table or cycle as to when I tip. If I'm doing well AND the dealers are fun and competent I will tip more often. If I'm losing but it's a fun table I will tip every now and then.

If the table is occupied by rude or boring dealers I color out and leave.

13. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I like to do is when I get to the craps table I immediately throw 2 reds to the dealers and say for the crew, it will let them know that I will not stiff them, and that normally gets very excellent service. Then every 15 to 20 minutes put a 5 dollar pass line bet with single odds for the crew. With this I have rarely encountered a rude dealer and also normally my play is rated higher by the pit boss.

14. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mainly tip when I'm winning.

15. snoopydogj

snoopydogj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mainly play craps. I put $3-$5 on the pass line when I'm throwing.
    If I'm up or hit a couple points I'll put some odds behind it.
    I tip a percentage if I'm up for that session when I leave.

16. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Almost exactly this for me. I don't really care about the winning and losing as much when I tip...If I have a great dealer who is making my play more enjoyable, I'll tip whether I'm winning or losing. I've tipped more to good dealers during a losing session than I have with horrible dealers during a winning session. Basically if you are friendly and fun as opposed to a grumpy robot, you are getting regular tips from me. If you aren't, you aren't getting much.

17. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally tip between $5-10 an hour regardless of my bet level or how its going. A really fun dealer may get more.

As to how to split it up, up to you. I generally wait until I have change and get a sense of how fun the dealer is, then bet along with the dealer once or twice in an hour. Others like to get white chips and tip more persistently.

18. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A fairly normal blackjack session for me is about an hour. Over the course of that hour, I will bet-tip about $10 for them ($1 at a time)... like others, if I get a split or double, I'll get them out there for that as well... if I'm the only one tipping, I will periodically put a bet-tip out for the dealer on every other player's spot & jubilantly call for a dealer bust. If she does bust, that usually motivates the other players to start tipping (at least a little bit here & there).

For 3-card, I play the PP for them ($1) about every 10 hands or so... If I hit something good on the PP when their $1 is out there, I do not add anything after.
    If I hit something when they are not out there, I post-tip them on trips & straight-flushes... $10 on trips ($5 drop & $5 bet on the next hand)...$25 on the SF... ($15 drop, $10 on the next hand).
    Largest single tip I ever made was to a 3-card dealer at the Mirage many years ago... when I colored up, I went from being down over $1000 to being up $1000. I tipped him about $80 (the red chips I had left over before coloring up).
    Other than that, I did tip the 3-card dealer at the Plaza $50 once after I hit a $500 mini-royal on their progressive (it was clubs though...not spades).

For me, the $10-an-hour rule of thumb is a good one.

Annual Spring Trip!
  19. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of times I think it depends on the dealer. But, a lot of them are required to tell you to bet it even if they don't want you to.

As for me, I'll usually tip right as I get to a table. If I'm playing UTH I'll put it on the trips, and if it's craps, I'll do a pass bet with odds for them. Or, put them on all the hard ways. It really seams to pay off in craps. They seam to pay more attention to my bets, and will remind me a lot more if I forget to put odds up, or make a bone head mistake.

20. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the afternoon at the Pleasure Pit in PH, they play a lot of music from the 80s. I was having fun with one of the dealers, and told her I'd give a tip every time she named the artist of the song that was playing. She was younger, but knew some of the groups/singers of the songs. It made it fun. But of course, I know my 80s music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.