1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MyVegas Buffet guidance

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by bdautch, Sep 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey all,

I have about 978,000 LPs, but I'm only looking to cash mine in for four buffets (I made a cash purchase at one point, so I get the extra one). My trip is in mid-December, so I need to start thinking about which buffets are the best options for me. I'm staying at a CET property because I'm comped there (Bally's).

Since I'm not staying at an MGM property, they won't let me cash in a Bellagio or Aria buffet. I'm looking at a variety of Luxor, Excalibur, Mandalay Bay, MGM Grand, and there's an option for a dinner at Monte Carlo. Those are basically the five that are in play.

Can folks help me out by either ranking the five or just writing in, "Oh ________ was terrific!" or "Man, _________ was awful!" or things along those lines? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like Mandalay Bay's buffet. Crab legs, good prime rib, and a cooked to order pasta station are nice features. I have been disappointed w MGM's buffet last few times. That was about 2 years ago, but never really went back. I've not tried Excaliburs since the remodel.

3. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a buffet once or twice every trip.

We have eaten at Aria, Bellagio, MB and MGM.

They are all pretty equal.....it's a buffet!!!

The best time to go to a buffet is when it's busy. They are replenishing the food quicker.

If it doesn't look good....it probably isn't!!!

If it doesn't taste good...don't eat it!!!!

Enjoy!!!

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I much preferred MB's buffet over the Mirage's.

5. willywilkes

willywilkes Low-Roller

Have done Mirage and Aria for lunch, and MB, Aria, and Bellagio for breakfast (all through myvegas). i rank them Aria, Bellagio, MB, than mirage. The one thing I personally like about mirage is that soft drinks are self serve (and they do include beer/wine so that may be a plus for some).

6. msadrakula

msadrakula Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Out of those 5.
    MGM & Mandalay are the best
    We like the Luxor but it's nothing special
    Monte Carlo is not very good, we thought it was going to be good but it's truly the only one we were disappointed in based on our expectations.
    I saw someone mention Mirage which you didn't put on your list, but it's right below MGM & Mandalay if that is an option
    Excalibur has long been a bottom feeder, but I also have not been there since they remodeled. I'm hoping for a slight improvement, because we are going in October and we are trying their Weekend Dinner buffet since it's one of the few if not only weekend buffet allowed thru MyVegas.
    One thing I might suggest is a try the Buy One Get One Free Dinner or Lunch at Bellagio or Aria. Sure it's not totally free but it comes out to around $15-$20 per person, you don't have to be staying at a MGM property and they are better than all the other listed above.

We are staying downtown in October and my wife and I both have 4 rewards so we usually go with lots of options and then choose what we want to do based on where we are on a given afternoon or evening.

Another suggestion is redeem more than your 4 rewards. It will give you a warning but you can pick as many buffets or rewards that you want and then choose which 4 you want to use while you are there. You can cancel the rewards you don't end up using when you get back, but it's really nice to have lots of options and not being stuck on a certain night saying, "Damn, we have to drive all the way down to Luxor for our last buffet" when you are right next to another hotel which you could use a different reward. We made that mistake 3 or 4 trips ago, now we go with like 10-12 rewards pick which ones we want to use throughout the trip.

hope this helps!

7. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had Excalibur's breakfast buffet last time we were there. Lunch and dinner might be better, but breakfast was awful. There was a huge variety, and everything LOOKED great, but everything was cold and greasy. I'm not super-picky and don't usually mind buffets, either. The only good thing was the made-to-order crepe that I had.

ETA: We were there on Christmas eve, so it was the first day of their reopening after their remodel. Maybe they have improved since then, but this was their "new" buffet.

8. ezmoney74

ezmoney74 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mandalay Bay. Then maybe MGM for breakfast. Don't even bother with the rest.

9. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had the Excalibur lunch buffet free via MyVegas last Wednesday, the food was very tasty. No crab legs or shrimp but we sampled many items and found all to be good. We ate there before the remodel and thought it sucked.

Note, I believe the regular price for this lunch is $18, I would not pay $18, better deals downtown.

10. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool. We might give lunch a chance next time we're there. It could have been opening woes or something...who knows?

11. ddashner

ddashner Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if a lot of people do this. That might be why it is so hard to get the better rewards.

12. harveyd63

harveyd63 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. vsop

vsop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've sampled the eligible buffets you mentioned....since it's a free meal, they're all OK...each of the buffets has at least one item that warrants a second helping...I like MB, lunch or dinner the most of the buffets mentioned (braised oxtails and panko crusted salmon), but it's also the farthest away from Ballys ...

14. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I found the website post to be lacking a date with which one could weigh the recommendations based on when it was written.

15. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really enjoy MGM breakfast buffet. I have used myvegas for Aria, Bellagio, and Luxor. Definitely avoid More at Luxor. It has been a few years since we dined at Mirage buffet -- it was pretty good then.

16. TXTriper

TXTriper Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I average 3 buffets every trip. I say Bellagio is best, and Mirage the next.

17. clarissamaeb

clarissamaeb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    champagne brunch on weekends at MGM or Mirage for lunch or dinner

18. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is always best of course to eat for free, but just a note that you can use the 2 for 1's in some places, like Aria, and not have to be staying at MGM. It is at least some savings and might fit into preferences or logistics.

19. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Redacted, not applicable

20. msadrakula

msadrakula Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.