1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Texas Wagyu at Biscayne at Tropicana?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by VegasLover8, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

Looking at possibly going to Biscayne at the Tropicana during my upcoming trip. I plan on using the 50% off coupon from the MRB. I know there is also a 30% coupon at tix4tonight.

The ribeye is my favorite cut of steak. Anyone try the Texas Wagyu bone in ribeye at Biscayne at the Tropicana?

How does it compare to their dry aged ribeye? Worth the extra money? More marbling?

Any opinions on Texas Wagyu in general?

After doing a search of the board, I saw a few posters say that the Biscayne was an underrated steakhouse. Because of those comments and the Texas Wagyu, I'm currently leaning towards Biscayne.

But I am also looking at BLT Steak at Ballys. But their Wagyu is a lot more expensive. Pricewise both places will be about the same if I order their regular ribeye (supposedly prime grade) since BLT also has 30% at tix4tonight.

Which steakhouse would you recommend?

2. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll chime in here for the sake of bumping up your post and to share what little insight I have.

Prologue: I've never eaten at the biscayne and ice never eaten at the blt steak in vegas. I have eaten at the blt steak in trump waikiki and I was not impressed, but that likely has little bearing on the matter at hand.

A note about me so u understand where I'm coming from and to make any potentially inherent biases clear. I'm American of (partially) Japanese decent, consider myself frugal (my wife and i cook and take "home lunch", spending about $50-75 per week in food), but i LOVE a good hunk of meat.

What i can do is give you a general opinion on "wagyu beef". This is a trend that's taken off over the past several years. There's Texas wagyu, Australian wagyu, and several other non Japanese iterations of the treatment. None of these compare to the Japanese version. There are several "brands" (for lack of a better term) of wagyu in Japan, only one of which is regularly exported outside if the Japanese domestic market--this is the kobe beef you've heard of.
    uploadfromtaptalk1440718849528.jpg

Here's a picture i took of a butcher window on a trip to japan. Note that only kobe is in English.

I've seen "Australian wagyu" and American wagyu designated as a5 grade that wouldn't even be an a3 grade under Japanese regulation. The Japanese take this stuff seriously and, in a steakhouse serving premium cuts, they'll let you inspect the cow's family tree certificate prior to ordering. Each carcass comes with a certificate. ..kind of like an American kennel club certification for purebred dogs, lineage is important. A non Japanese example of wagyu will not have the same marbling that a Japanese example will have.

So i guess what I'm trying to say is if you're interested in wagyu, i wouldn't want for you to eat something, be disappointed, and then think that your experience is common for the variety. However, it seems like you're able to stack some deals and discounts at biscayne. With those folded into the mix, I'd give it a try. If there's anything i love more than a good steak, it's a good deal!
    I guess my post has been more rambling than helpful.

Tldr: if you're interested about wagyu, save up and eat a Japanese variety. If you're mostly curious about this offering and are getting a good deal, Texas wagyu at biscayne sounds great!

3. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Abraxis is completely correct. Anything that isn't Japanese grade A5 kobe isn't the real deal. True Kobe beef will cost at least $30 per ounce in a high end steakhouse.

The certification process here in the US is largely unregulated and plenty of places are now selling "wagyu-style" beef that is more expensive than other prime cuts of meat for no good reason, other than people will pay extra because it says "wagyu".

4. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like Biscayne but I would recommend the Dry aged bone in filet over the Wagyu Ribeye.

If you want Wagyu or real Kobe I would just have dinner at SW.

The only steak I have at Biscayne is the dry aged bone filet

5. shemesh

shemesh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I once had a wagyu steak at a fancy steakhouse in san diego, wow it was really something special. As i recollect, it was a tiny tiny piece of meat, for something like 85$, but what a special taste.

- - - Updated - - -

Does gordon ramseys or delmonico offer wagyu? what cuts are usually available for wagyu, and how about the pricing.

I am not a fan of SW, please don't recommend that place.

6. shemesh

shemesh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    does gordon ramseys or delmonico offer wagyu, and also what are the usual wagyu cuts offered and how much do they go for? Please dont recommend SW, i am not a fan of that place at all

7. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with what pp and other ppl said. PP and pleepleus rave about biscayune at trop but i havent been yet.

I might be wrong but i believe wynn is the only person who has the right in vegas to serve "true" kobe. This is what pphold and i had for dinner to share at SW steakhouse at wynn in july and is supposed to be the real thing.

[​IMG]

8. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ramsay Steak has A5 Kobe on the menu, I think around $35 per oz. Never ordered it there, but based on the price and the fact that Ramsay's name/reputation is attached, I would think it's authentic.

9. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hoping this list would be more informative, but the kobe beef council publishes a list of all the exports, which can be found here
    http://www.kobe-niku.jp/en/contents/exported/index.php

Unfortunately it only lists the name of the distributors so unless you know who buys from whom, it's hard to know for sure. ..

10. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

Thanks for the all the replies. I understand/realize this is not the true Kobe beef from Japan.

I was just wondering how much better the Texas Waygu is compared to a regular "prime" or dry aged steak. And if anyone has tried it.

For the price and especially with the discount, I'll probably just order it to give it a try. I will be going to Biscayne though. BLT is so much more expensive. Think it was like $57 vs $91.

As a side note, I was trying to get a group of guys together last year to buy an A5 grade Kobe (supposedly authentic) from Costco. We got like 6 commitments but we never pulled the trigger.

http://www.costco.com/D%e2%80%99Artagnan-Japanese-Wagyu-Boneless-Ribeye-Roast-A-5-Grade.product.100082950.html

11. shemesh

shemesh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what is the big deal of this wagyu bulls**** , whats wrong with the domestic taste, whats the big deal, shouldn't it taste the same, its the same species!!

12. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before you call something bullshit, maybe you should try it first, you might like it.
    Don't you remember "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss?

13. natedog666

natedog666 17 and 20 Expert

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tired Biscayne with Pphold and others. Didn't really like it, remember somebody had to send a steak back because it was so tough. I think SW has more consistency in quality.

14. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes and I think he order the Waygu Ribeye too... sent it back and got the prime rib.

I will agree that the quality was not consistent as SW.

With that said. Why Do we leave the Wynn? I like the Wynn Rooms, Restaurants, and gambling.

Next trip Wynn and Encore only.

15. shemesh

shemesh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how is the 14ounce domestic wagyu skirtsteak at crafsteak, is it good?

16. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you like skirt steak?? Waygu or Kobe won't magically make any cut taste like a fillet, ribeye, etc. It will be a more tender, marbled skirt steak. I'm not a fan of the Waygu lower cuts of meat. I'd much rather get a good well trimmed usda prime fillet or ny strip. Hell Bellagio has a Kobe Top Round at their buffet, in my opinion it wasn't as good as their prime rib or the roast beef I get at the carvery in town.

17. shemesh

shemesh Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good to know this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.