1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Our Flight With Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jimbucc, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our first trip with Spirit Airlines is in the books. Flight to Vegas left Cleveland early and arrived in Vegas early.
    1440456339651.jpg
    My wife Kathy and I
    1440460429939.jpg

The flight from CLE to LAS was not very full. The front and back were pretty full, but the middle was pretty empty.
    1440458359631.jpg

After the plane reached cruising altitude, we were able to sit wherever we wanted. I don't think anybody was sitting three to a row. The last time I was on a flight like this was with Continental right after 9/11. My OCD started to kick in as I looked at this lone tray in the down position in the empty row next to me.
    1440460480192.jpg

It just kept screaming out to me, put me back up please. Some people were using the whole row to catch some shut eye as the plane left Cleveland at 8:45 P.M. Good time to rest up for a late evening arrival in Vegas. It was scheduled to arrive in Vegas at 9:15 P.M. but got in around 9 P.M. Here is a pic to get an idea of what kind of leg room you have. We were on an Airbus 320.
    1440458398558.jpg

I had no trouble stretching my feet underneath the seat in front even with a personal bag. The seat in front feels like it is reclined but it isn't. The seats on this plane didn't recline. They can't or else the seat would be in your lap. If you can handle a reclined seat in front of you than you can handle Spirit's seat configuration. Cleveland to Vegas is not a short flight and I didn't feel any more uncomfortable than on other airlines.

Our return flight was also a little early leaving Vegas and arriving in Cleveland. This plane was probably 90% full. All in all I can't complain. We were lucky that everything went smoothly. No delays. I have a short trip to Dallas with my wife planned for September to visit friends of ours. We are going bare fare with no add ons. Personal bag size that you stow under the seat is 16x14x12. It's a basic small backpack. A purse is considered a personal item so you can't have a purse and a backpack. We are not paying for assigned seats so we will see how we get seated. The bare fare for both of us round trip came to $172.36 total. :thumbsup:

2. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you had a smooth trip on your first time on Spirit.

3. Harry Lyme

Harry Lyme VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice, smooth trip. We had our first flight on Spirit last fall. Despite the horror stories, after reading up on the "new-ishness" of the planes, watching a YouTube video on how to pack a carry-on for their free bag, and getting a great deal on a flight, we took the plunge. Not a complaint from us, at least not from the flight itself. We liked them better than Southwest, but SW has the edge with times. Spirit's times are waayyy too restrictive. Luckily it worked out for us, but that's the only thing keeping us from using them frequently.

Two tips, though. One, if you can, buy the tickets from the airport. You'll save more than their little promo codes, typically. Two, get there early for your flight and you can pick your seats without paying for that perk (the desk clerk told us that, and she was correct).

Safe travels!!

4. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    American Tourister makes an "Atmosphere tote" that will qualify as a personal item on Spirit Airline. It has wheels and a collapsible handle, but will fit under the seat with no problem. It's amazing what you can put into it. I've used it a couple of times flying on Spirit..perfect for a 3 day trip. My son is flying out on Spirit in a couple of days and will be using one. Walmart sells them for about $40. Some people have posted videos on You tube about using this tote...check it out.

5. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear the flight went smooth Jim. Im flying Spirit out of Cleveland to Vegas in November, but i did splurge for the Big Front Seat. My round trip flight including the seat upgrade was just over $200. I also hope to get $50 in Match Play from The D for my Spirit boarding pass to help offset the cost. :thumbsup:

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I was on a Vegas flight with extra room. Every flight I'm on, coming and going, is full.

7. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/39507993?reviews_limit=9&

8. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you had a good Spirit experience. You're a brave soul.

9. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1!!!

10. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit is changing the dimensions for the allowable size of your free personal item on 3/31/2016. As of that date this luggage piece will no longer comply with their policy.

11. Gregg19

Gregg19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are they changing the dimensions to? I was going to buy the tote from Wal Mart for an upcoming trip on Spirit

12. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Spirit twice from PHL to LAS. Had the big front seat both times. The first time the flight both ways had short delays. My last trip in April was smooth. Both leaving and returning we were early. Flying them again tomorrow. IMHO if you can't get the big front seat or an exit row I don't think I would fly them. The leg room elsewhere on the plane looks horrible. The big front seat however is like first class seating on most domestic carriers.

13. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a great price. My round trip all in with 1 checked bag per each ticket was $400 pp. All the other airlines in the northeast(EWR PHL JFK) were at least $500 or more.

14. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    17 x 13 x 8

15. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wonder how many fights are going to occur at the airport over this. Ppl for sure will attempt to board w/ the old dimension bag not aware of the change. I'm sure Spirit will not go out of their way to advertise either.

16. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Click here for full terms and conditions.
    BAGGAGE
    You'll save yourself some money if you buy your bags online right now! You'll automatically get our Fast Bag Drop service, which'll save you time when you get to the airport.

Remember that you may carry one free personal item on board, like a purse or small backpack, if its dimensions do not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30 cm) including handles and wheels.

For travel after 3/31/2016, please make sure personal item dimensions do not exceed 17 x 13 x 8 inches (including handles and wheels).
    Bag Pricing (each way)

Carry-On First Checked Second Checked Bag
    $9 Fare Club member online
    During Spirit.com booking $26 $21 $31
    Before online check-in $31 $26 $36
    During online check-in $36 $31 $41
    Standard online
    During Spirit.com booking $35 $30 $40
    Before online check-in $40 $35 $45
    During online check-in $45 $40 $50
    Group desk, Reservation Center, Airport, GDS $55 $50 $60
    At Gate $100 $100 $100
    Here's more information on our baggage policies, including carry-ons.
    CHECK-IN
    You may be able to check in online 24 hours before your flight. It'll save you time and money at the airport.
    You'll want to get to the airport early to give yourself time to park, get through security, etc. Try to arrive 2 hours before domestic flights and 3 hours before international flights.
    Spirit reserves the right to cancel the reservation or seat assignment of any customer who does not have a boarding pass and/or who has not completed the check-in of baggage, at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure in some airport locations, 45 minutes in others and 60 minutes for all international and U.S.V.I. flights. For specific city check-in requirements, click here.

Additionally, you'll need to be at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights (30 minutes prior for international departures) or you may lose your reservation.
    Always double check that you have the right documents you need to travel. Remember: every country has different rules, so if you're flying internationally, contact the embassy or consulate of the country you're traveling to and find out what you need.
    Certain foreign countries may charge additional taxes and fees that are collected directly by the local government or competent airport authority upon arrival or departure.
    FLIGHT STATUS
    Click here to check the departure and arrival status of your flight.
    HELPFUL TRAVEL RESOURCES
    Transportation Security Administration - Visit the TSA website and learn all about the new carry-on travel requirements.
    Customs and Border Protection - Visit the U.S. State Department website for travel tips and up-to-date travel information.

17. dhlamar

dhlamar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very disapointed in this, someone needs to start a petition on change.org!!!!!!!

18. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not happy either, it takes away 920 cubic inches
    Old 16x14x12 = 2688 cubic inches
    New 17x13x8 =1768 cubic inches
    I can deal with it and if I have to I will go back to bringing my Scottyvest jacket/vest, you can fit all your electronics plus lots more in the 22-25 pockets and then put it in the overhead of the plane. It goes thru security easy just by taking off and sending it thru. I also used to put my laptop in a thin laptop carrier that works like a backpack and is hidden under my scottyvest jacket. I can deal with it but I am not happy.

At least my September 20-26 MSP-LAS Trip is $42.20 Round Trip Including Taxes and for now my Travelpro Maxlite 2 rolling tote works Great

dorasl.jpg

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Tropiformer_Jacket.shtml
    pocket-map-tropiformer_xray.jpg

19. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have this exact same bag, that thing fits the Spirit criteria? Wow, if I ever fly Spirit before March 2016 good to know I actually have something that would beat the system!

20. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought it because it fit spirits size limits.
    When purchased I immediately took it to the airport and tested it in the Spirit bag cage and it fit fine (sideways down)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.