1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Pai Gow Tiles - First Time Advice?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by spicole, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All,

I am staying at the Delano next weekend. In addition to the considerable amount of time we will be spending in the sports book and playing blackjack and craps, I want to play pai gow tiles for the first time. Most likely I will play at Mandalay Bay.

Any advice for a first time tiles player? Are there better suggestions on locations to play other than Mandalay Bay? I know they have a table at Aria.

I have been doing my homework and have been practicing with the simulator at the Wizard of Odds site.

What is the customary way to tip while playing?

Thanks!

2. buttnugget

buttnugget Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mandalay Bay no longer has tiles. Closest is MGM. Tip like you would any game by placing the tip in front of your bet. Look for pairs first (especially the mismatched pairs). Ask the dealer for house way if confused. Bank every other hand if alone at the table and ask the dealers to show you different "openings" (Cut Ear, Hong Kong Bank, Chicken 3 way, etc) Nicest dealers are at Wynn and Harrahs. Belagio's seem to be automatons. Some at Aria can be downright angry.

3. harvson3

harvson3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The user charliepatrick at the wizard of vegas site developed a handy strategy card that you can print out and use. I believe it mostly follows the Wizard's simple strategy. Can't find the link at present; on phone, sorry.

4. spicole

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the feedback.

The feedback on Wynn vs Bellagio dealers seems to be consistent based on older posts on VMB. I did have a great blackjack dealer at Aria say that he sometimes deals tiles. If he is working I will definitely sit down.

5. spicole

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did see the link previously while reviewing the Wizard page. Even the one-page strategy card is a bit complex.

6. buttnugget

buttnugget Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you're just breaking in try Harrahs. The limits are lower (Usually $15 and sometimes $10). Try to maximize your smaller hand. If you can't make at least "5" in your smaller hand then maximize your bigger hand. Bank every other hand. I cannot stress this enough. The best dealer in town was Curt at Mirage, but alas, they've gotten rid of their tiles table. I keep hoping he'll transfer to Aria. If you see a white guy at Aria, MGM or Belagio this weekend at the tiles table, it's probably me. Say "Hi!". I love to teach.

7. Scottndindy

Scottndindy High-Roller

When learning always follow this progression
    1st. - look for pairs
    2nd - see If you have a teen or day in your hand. If so try to make high 9, gong, or Wong.
    3rd - look for your highest point value tile and lowest point value tile and put them together. This doesn't work every time but most times will get you to the most balanced hand.

8. spicole

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to all for the replies and advice. I ended up playing for an hour at Aria. The dealers were friendly and helpful. There was another player at the table who seemed to be a bit of a know-it-all... he was honestly trying to help, but I found it annoying. I ended the session 4 bets down. Overall, I'm glad I tried it, but I thought it was too slow for my tastes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.