1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

We're not looking for a new car, but I still research and just ponder

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And my finding of late is ... GM still is missing the boat on the shopping experience.

So I'm checking out the Impala, just for grins, and there are x trims levels. Within each there are x times some number of options packages and options, but beware which of the latter you might choose because you might lose something else you want or get stuck with stuff you don't want. And engines, how about engine options?

Damn it, figure out what's the good shit that people want, put it on the car, give me a short a la carte menu not the NYC phone book equivalent of options. And can we please dispense with the various silly glued on do-dads; it's not a race car ... or a Pontiac Aztek.

You're not empowering me as a consumer, you're pissing me off. If it makes sense, adds value or performance, put it on, don't make it like a resort fee. (See, I can make anything relevant to VMB.)

They get it in the Fatherland, and the Land of the Rising Sun (Shame on those with the silly plastic skirting options).

2. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then the problem is once you figure out what options, trim, etc you want, good luck finding exactly that in the color you want at a dealer. They always have some bs add on or something.

Last fall we bought a car for my wife. We weren't in a hurry, so we didn't have to take whatever was on the lot. She wanted a certain color and we had time. We wound up ordering it from Subaru through our dealer. We could get exactly what we wanted. It took like 10 weeks but we got what we wanted and actually got a better deal because since it wasn't part of their allotment they could sell it for less.

You should see if Chevy has that option.

3. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can only speak to the brands I've bought but I imagine all makes do it, plan ahead and build exactly the car you want.
    Car dealers and car brokers can easily accomodate you.
    If your tastes are not overly particular then a good broker can trade for your car in another locale or state.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're not in the market. Just highlighting what I think is a highly outdated and counterproductive model.

I've told the story many time, here, M, but the last three purchases were online. We wanted Brand A, Model B and trimmed and colored as such. In one instance we were a bit more color allowing if it impacted price or delivery. Anyway, we knew the exact cost going in to sign the paperwork, one time we had a trade and that was handled separately but eventually with the dealer, and also with that last one I went around the dealer who said we couldn't get our price and the 0% financing, so VW of America took care of the financing and told the dealer it was not price-limited. One Toyota, one Honda, one VW, so the options orgasmatron of GM was not an inhibiting or delaying factor and it made availability across So Cal broad and turnkey, as well, which is at the problem with one of those seemingly endless cafeteria plans.

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't bought a new car in a long time, what's the deal with car brokers?

6. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The oftener you trade, the broker you are.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trim levels, LT1, LT2, LTZ, then option packages in between, and if you want a sun roof, you have to probably get 5 options you don't want.....ugggh! But doesn't the Honda Accord have four trim levels, two engines and option groups in between?

That's the beauty of online car shopping, it lets you drill down to the exact model with options and color. I haven't bought a new car in 10 years, but I catch the bug now and then. I'll go online to check out new car prices and reality brings me back to earth. Can't fathom spending $40k on new wheels when my first investment property was $55k about 26 years ago. Yes, apples and banannas, but its my logic and I'm sticking to it, thank you.

For your consideration while you are kicking tires, check out GM Certified Pre-Owned website. gmcertifiedcpo dot com. I almost bought a two year old 2012 Impala LTZ with low miles, I think it was around $14k and loaded. But, I saw an 8 year old Volvo S60 that was loved and said I'm gonna keep on loving you. Can't see myself buying a new car, ever.

8. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I've always hated options that aren't a la carte.

I'm sure the packaged make their manufacturing easier, and occasionally get them gains selling 3 things you don't want for the thing you do. But for me, its one of the best ways to send me looking at competitor's models.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guys I'm not shopping and I don't want a Chevy!!! lol

Was it C&D or the car guy in the Journal who recently wrote: You want to buy a used entry-level BMW or Mercedes? Buy a new Honda or Hyundai. You'll spend the same, no headaches.

10. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    just leased a Hyundai for my business and it was simple.

only 3 trim packages and only a handful of other options on top of that, none of which you really need.

make sure the color and trim package you want is on the lot and you're done.

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was last shopping (2006) I couldn't find the car I wanted with AWD but the smaller wheel size. Took quite a bit of research to figure out that different regions in the US were shipped different package options (Lexus). I live in NC and couldn't get what I wanted in this region, but Virginia is a different region and I could get exactly what I wanted. AND they gave me more for my trade-in (AWD Subaru) than I would have gotten in NC (they don't care so much about AWD here....I'm not in the mtns). Never did an NC car dealer offer to transfer a car and get me what I wanted. Never. So I drove up to northern VA, got the car I wanted & the better trade-in deal, AND then when the sales manager of the NC dealer called me, I made sure to tell her exactly why her dealership lost the sale.

I hate car shopping. But I love getting the deal I want.

12. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Along those lines are colors of cars. Much fewer black cars in the PSW, Vegas, Phoenix etc.
    I always have 4WD and those are way more common in more inclement climes.
    Could have bought Audis I guess.

13. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Hyundai and Kia have there act together there. A few big packages to choose from and not much more.

If you think GM has a problem, try buying a Porche. Everything was an option, at one point I joked if I could upgrade the cup holder and the dealer had to think about it. I had to inform him I was joking!

14. TxFoldEm

TxFoldEm Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife has a JX35... In order for her to get the DVD entertainment system, it was only available with "this certain package", but in order to get "that certain package", we had to have "this other package" first... kind of a rip off in my opinion.

15. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last 10 or 12 years every time I research I buy. I get new car fever.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I admit I might jump on a new Ridgeline when they come back out again.

17. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like you, Ken, I do all my initial work online and then decide how I'm going to finalize the deal. Lately, I've been getting better results by expanding my search to dealers within 2,000 miles of my base. I do the final paperwork through FedEx and have found many dealers who'll either eat the transportation costs or give me a major break.

I think we'll see a limited renewal of dealers that 1) sell at a pre-set (no haggle) price or 2) more of the Tesla-type model wherein we can buy direct from the factory.

Bill

18. debriley

debriley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I despise the 'packaging'. Looking for a new car right now and I'm actually very limited because of the "packaging". My hubby and oldest son are both taller than 6'5" with very long torsos (especially my son with his squatty 32-34 inseam on a 6'6" frame!). Very long torsos means 'avoid moon/sunroofs' because it costs you headroom. So many car dealers start tossing that old moonroof in at lower level packages (and carry it through to all higher packages). I want a lot of the nice doodads and options, just can't do a moonroof. It's incredible how limiting that is these days in what you can consider/buy. Why do car makers assume everyone wants a freak in moonroof....

19. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just finished this deal today for a 2015 nissan altima s special edition. This is my work car that I will drive everyday to/ from work and I was previously driving a 1999 corolla to/from work.

Sticker price was close to 26k and I bought it for 18,900 out the door with 0% interest for 5 years and am very happy with it so far but its only been one day and now has 114 miles. Nothing fancy but it will do its job for a long time.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  20. Big dan

Big dan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a beautiful ride

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.