1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I love lobster and crab.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about you? How much of a connoisseur are you?

Do you eat the head/body of crabs and lobsters besides the legs, tail, and claws?

I do. I love Dungeness and Spiny lobster and will eat the head/body. Never tried Maine lobster. I saw/heard on Andrew Zimmern's show that eating the tamale of Maine Lobster is not advised anymore.

How come? Is this true?

When I steam/boil my shellfish I turn them upside down in the cooking pot. This way the juices remain in the shell and doesn't leak out and make the shellfish dry.

Hope I didn't gross anybody out.

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    King Crab legs. Nothing more needs to be said.

I like the Dungeness, too.

Snow Crab, yum.

Had some Stone Crabs at Joe's Stone Crabs just the other week in The Forum Shoppes. Good but way overpriced.

I live in the heart of Blue Crab land. Once you learn how to "pick" 'em, they are very good.

3. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Price is right on Blue Claws also,throw a trap in the bay off a dock and if you are lucky you can catch a dozen or so.in an afternoon.

4. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love lobster and crab but do not like the head and body. Claws, knuckles, and tails only, for me!!

5. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

I just got back from Rosarito and ate lobster for every meal while I was there on Monday. A whole lobster, rice, beans, homemade margarita and a margarita for $30? Yes!

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the bounty of the sea. And I guess that's one reason why we eat so much more seafood when traveling than at home -- eat fresh and local (though we do alright up here between SB and SLO). That's another way of saying don't eat farmed Atlantic salmon if you're from the Left Coast. I can go days in Hawaii never touching land-bound or winged meat. (Now last night, USDA Prime beef was on the grill!)

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We went to Maine last year and I had whole lobster 3 of the 5 days we were there. Ate it all.

8. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I love Crab and lobster too. I typically go to a Chinese buffet once a week to "gorge" on Crab.

I'm Asian so I'm able to "look past" the peculiarities of an Asian buffet, but I have "mastered" extracting meat from snow crab legs and claws.

There is a lobster buffet every weekend at Boomtown (near Reno), but I haven't been there at the proper time to take advantage of it.

9. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

I meant to say handmade tortillas :)

10. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lobster I'm down for.

Crab tastes fine, but can (especially with crab legs) really border on too much fussing about for the quantity of food you get out of it. (To me)

But since we are talking shellfish, a shoutout to scallops, which are awesome.

11. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mmmmm, Puerto Nuevo lobster. Haven't done that for years and years.

12. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

I hadn't been there in years either. Don't know what took me so long but it's definitely a great staycation destination, especially with all the availability airbnb. I spent day one in Ensenada, day two in wine country, and day three/four in Rosarito. Many of the people who lived in the surrounding homes were retired Canadians and Americans.

13. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best lobster is Australian lobster tails. It has the best flavor. The pacific lobster taste terrible. Main lobster is okay but not the best as Astralian.

I like the flavor of snow crabs better than king crab. There is a Fish resturant in my neighborhood. i buy a pound of snow crab legs cooked in garlic butter sauce with cajun sauce on the side to mix it with the garlic butter. Yummm.......

14. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love Lobster, hate crab. I don't think you should burn more calories than you're taking in.

Went back home to Massachusetts last month for a funeral. At least it was lobster roll season.

I second the Lobster (whole Maine) buffet at Boomtown in Reno. My wife and I have done it twice. I put away 5 and she can do 3. We'll be in Reno in about a month, fortunately on a Friday night.

15. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    O.k.!! Good to hear that a lot of us love lobster and crab. I'm gonna elaborate a little more on my "fetish" for eating the head and body.

Spiny lobster has a lot of "fat" in their bodies. It's very rich with an orange consistency (like a paste) and common sense tells you that one shouldn't be eating this every day. But it's delish. I'll scoop it out with a spoon and eat it with hot rice.

With Dungeness crab I pull the "head" off while it's still upside down. All the fatty juices and other stuff will then fall into the inverted crab head and now you have sort of a bowl. I like to add some leg meat into it and spoon in some hot rice. Sounds and looks gross but it is delicious.

Again, this stuff is very rich, but I like to indulge once in a while. The last time I ate too much of this and a day later I had GOUT........LOL!!

16. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stopped at Boomtown once for their AYCE lobster buffet. Even though it was cheap enough, I didn't really care for it. Not a big selection and the lobster wasn't the greatest.

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really talking two different critters here, real lobster ("Maine"-type) and the sea crayfish family of rock or spiny lobster, which is what you get across the Pacific from Oz/NZ -- check out the MASSIVE packhorse lobsters in NZ waters! -- to the California shore, and elsewhere. There are other variants, too, of course, of "lobster" or exoskeleton invertebrates of the sea floor, with slipper lobster being maybe the best known of those.

When you think about the function of these guys -- shrimp, too, oysters, other shellfish -- in the ecosystem ... WTF, foie gras is wonderful and it's nothing more than the filtration system of fowl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.