1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Car Buying

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by NYNYGirl, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I thought I did my research in that I have narrowed down to what vehicle I want to buy; 2015 Honda CR-V EX 2WD. I even called my insurance company to see how much it would cost me to insure this vehicle. I've gone to several banks to try to get financed. I also went on various sites (Edmonds, KBB, Cars) to get an idea about what amount I should be paying for this vehicle here in Upstate NY.

I'm getting stuck at the negotiating thing. Not sure if I should just go in an tell them how much I want to pay, which that is even hard to narrow down since it seems I have gotten various amounts. I've asked for the invoice , to maybe use that as a starting point, but haven't gotten that info as of yet.

Just looking for some ideas or tips so that I don't end up paying retail for this vehicle.

2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just sack up. Figure out a price you want to pay that is doable for both parties and get it done. Nothing to fear.

Sounds like you have a fairly good idea of what they are going for so there you go.

Think about it. If you have a decent experience and later find out that you paid a bit too much will it really be the end of the earth? of course not as you paid for the decent experience.

Now if you have a terrible experience and find out you paid too much then thats on you.

just find a dealership that you can work with and it will be fine. dont be so defensive, just have fun with it and dont be afraid to walk.

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a new car last month. Contact the dealerships in your area via their internet page and get their prices. My local Honda dealer won't negotiate via email. My local Toyota dealers either played games or high balled me. Another Toyota dealer a little further away came in $1000 less than TrueCar so I went there and bought the car with no BS but not before going to a closer Dealer that wouldn't come down to what I wanted to pay. The car came with pin striping and wheel locks and they didn't even mention them in the pricing.

Look to target 85% of sticker. Invoice means nothing. There are other hold back and bonuses and whatnot.

4. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A person on this site wrote a brilliant post about car negotiating awhile back. I believe timspeed was asking about a car and poster by the name of "someone" had the response. Cant find the thread though.

But my first choice to ask about and trying to buy a car is Packer on this site.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I Agree with Broncofn, Packer is the car man!

6. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

When I bought my Camry, I emailed all of the local Toyota dealerships. I emailed them through their websites and waited for their replies. I did not include my phone number. Once I had all of the emailing addresses, I emailed them all in the same e-mail and told them that I was purposely emailing all of them in the same email because I was going to give my business to whoever offered me the best price.

7. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did it work? I did a similar thing on a motorcycle purchase and only got one reply! It was actually for less than I expected, they asked what the others came in at and I had to tell them they were my only response!

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't need to be totally honest when negotiating. The dealers aren't. You could have told them another dealer came in $500 under them and asked if they could match it.

9. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I get that. It wasn't a high dollar deal so I was actually happy with what they came in at.

10. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's used, try to find a similar car on carmax. Since they're a no haggle place use them as a ceiling on price since you could go get it from them for $xx,000

11. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

Yes. I had the cash for it but was told that the dealership sometimes gives a discount based on financing because they know that will get it back when you pay interest. I said that I was going to be financing the car for the max number of years.

I then paid it off within a few months.

I figured I was playing the same game that many men play....text multiple women at the same time to see what they are doing and go for the one who actually replies and says she wants to see you..lol

12. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I have a background in finance and kinda laugh when people talk about paying cash! That is not what the dealers want to hear, the banks pay a nice little profit to the dealership for the privilege of financing.

Hey wait......... you women are onto that trick?? haha, we can't get away with anything!! Keep in mind that trick would have never come into play if it wasn't for flaky girls! jk, jk.... sorta

13. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never met the guy, don't know him personally but when I purchase another new car ( both wife & I have new vehicles and we buy new every 2-3 yrs.), I will, firstly, contact via email one of our VMB members.............Packer. But that's just me! Read his posts. He seems like a no nonsense, no BS , upfront dude that will give you straight answers. For what it's worth!

14. UCLAGirl

UCLAGirl High-Roller

The next trick is called "Netflix and chill"

It's when a guy texts (because they never call) and asks if if you want to watch a movie and hang out...but they really have ulterior motives

But back to the OP...reach out to packer...he's a great guy!

15. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do girls really value calling over texting? I thought everyone preferred the text method these days. I actually call and prefer to get to know someone in person. But what the hell do I know, I am o-fer on marriage and also have a failed engagement on the resume. At least all my exes agree that I am a lot of fun!

16. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank You for that. Going through my "notes" because I did write the amounts down and will decide what is a decent price to pay. Will definitely play it cool and will keep in mind to walk if I feel it necessary. I know dealing at the end of the month is a good thing too.

Invoice is better than retail? Was just looking for invoice amount to have as a starting price. But if I could get 85% of sticker that would be great!

17. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some cars are selling well below invoice. All the good quotes I received via internet for cars were running about 85 to 88% of MSRP for Accords and Camrys.
    Of course it depends on the car you want to buy. Supply and demand...

And don't think "feelings" are involved. You can walk if you think you can do better elsewhere or if you feel the dealer is not honest. If you walk, you can always go back. Even after I did all my homework, my dealer gave me a $500 discount I didn't even know about and then send me a check for $91 last week for reasons unknown.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  18. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great idea! Especially no tele #. Email only.

19. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honda CR-V's seem to sell themselves so will have to see what I get back today as far as any quotes. Hoping I don't have to walk from the local dealership because I'm friends with someone who used to manage there. He asked me though if I want to pay retail??? I told him NO....wholesale.....Then he was going to find out the invoice amount for me. Will see I guess...But Thank You!

20. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NYNYG,

I went to the dealership with cash-in-hand (pre-approval from my bank), so I had buying power.

I didn't divulge that until we got to the financing part. Hyundai Motor Finance wanted my dollars, so they went below the rate I was getting from my bank and threw in some extra bonuses (loyalty bonus, car maintenance coupon booklet with many free services, plus I get free loaners for the lifetime of my vehicle).

It was a great experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.