1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Very angry Mud Wasps

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't been in my storage shed since spring when I put away the snowblower and brought out the patio and garden stuff. Anyway, yesterday I opened the door and that ripped open the hive they built over this summer. I only got stung twice and I was happy. Believe me, they were not happy.

Got out there after dark last night and sprayed the ones that were left. I did read mud wasps never use the same hive twice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, they built a whole wasp colony. They've been busy. I've given up my fight with the wasps. They build their nests up high on my house were I can't easily reach and I leave them alone. They leave me alone.

Glad you're ok with only two stings.

Aren't those paper wasps?

3. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man that is some hive. :eek:

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jezz, now I don't know. I Goggled the difference between paper & mud nests/hives but both look similar.

This image looks very similar and it says mud wasp.

https://www.google.com/search?q=paper+wasps+nest+versus+mud+wasps&tbm=isch&imgil=gh4fA1FfFI7ZzM%253A%253BEngfbotPbsvpkM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.drbug.ca%25252Finsects%25252Fbees-and-wasps&source=iu&pf=m&fir=gh4fA1FfFI7ZzM%253A%252CEngfbotPbsvpkM%252C_&biw=864&bih=398&usg=__n0DkAsukiF6TG0B7EB0DoFOEW1Q%3D&ved=0CCoQyjdqFQoTCJ-w96PDuMcCFQntHgodI9sI4g&ei=9zvWVd9Yidp7o7ajkA4#imgrc=IjV_verrrZsb-M%3A&usg=__n0DkAsukiF6TG0B7EB0DoFOEW1Q%3D

Different terms for the same thing depending on location?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  5. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! That's insane!!!

We had a what seemed like a bunch of Wasps around our house. Because of the kiddo's, I had someone come out and look for nests. They found some that were way high up in the house peaks but thought there were probably nests on someone else's property given the high activity.

They ended up putting up pheromone traps for me- they were like bags filled with clear fluid and just hung them in the tree. They work AMAZING!! It draws them into the bag then they eventually drown- can't believe how many were in there within the first day. Good solution if you know you have wasps but can't find/access the nests!

Glad to hear you are okay- I would have FREAKED OUT!!!!!

6. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You were so lucky Joe. So have they all left to rebuild somewhere else???

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think most took off when I opened the door and broke open the hive. But after I sprayed last night, there were still bodies on the ground and in the hive this morning. I hope the queen was still in there when I sprayed.

EDIT: Thinking back now...on July 29th, two days before our last Vegas trip, I was standing in that area taking the dog out and something stung me in my earlobe. I'll bet that SOB came from there. It took days for the swelling to go down on my ear.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  8. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You were lucky that they didn't all dive toward you. Wasps are so mean. I remember when I worked, some kids on the way to school kicked over a wasp nest in the field next to their school. They followed the kids all the way into the school. When the EMTs came to check over the kids, there were still wasps in their clothes and they were stinging anything they could.

9. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is a pretty wicked looking hive. It reminds me of the hornet nests around here. Be cautious with them. My nephew got stung six times on the ankle by red wasps last week and had to skip a shift at work (firefighter) because he could not get his foot into his turnout gear boot.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn it! I went to knock down the hive this morning and they are repopulating the hive. I know nothing but I'm guessing the ones that fled when I opened the door and broke the hive are coming back. Out again tonight after dark for another shot at them. I need to get into that shed, but I'm not going to try until I know they are all gone.

11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wasp killer will do the trick, it shoots 20 ft or so, soak the area and they'll all be dead in an hour or so. I was re-siding my house one time(I was on the garage roof) and noticed a small hole where a bee or two were going in and out. I thought "I'll be careful and pull off the old siding gently", the second pull they came out in force and I ran like mad across the roof, getting bit along the way, I ran until I came to the end of the roof and had to stop or jump. Naturally I had put the ladder right by the hive and ending up sitting on the other side of the roof for maybe 20 min until they calmed down and i snuck to the ladder and got down.

12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being the wife half of ardee here, I have to say I would have absolutely lost it!
    Looks like something from a scary movie. :faint:

Anyhoo, he was the brave one and went out after dusk to spray the little buggers.
    Thankfully, they were in the early stages of building, so I think he scared them off.
    A couple of weeks ago, we noticed a few paper wasps in the upper part of the house, where the siding meets the roof.
    It was just after the hubs potted some nicely flowering plants. I guess they liked them too.

He noticed a few returning the other day but shot the spray at them and hopefully
    they'll take the hint to move on elsewhere.

Good luck, Joe.
    The phrase "repopulating the hive" makes me shudder.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did that already, but like I said I think the ones that took off when I opened door and broke the hive, have come back. I'll give it another shot tonight after dark when in theory they are all back in the hive.

14. dylanfann

dylanfann Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, Try the wasp spray that is foam. Not sure who makes it. We have been having a heck of a year for wasps up in Northern Wisco. this year. Opened up the pontoon seats to get out some life jackets, and holy $#it out come the wasps. Knocked out the nest, only to come back the next day, and sure enough building in the same spot. Zapped them with the foam wasp spray.....they were gone. Two stings to the hubby though. Wasps so bad here this year, the local hardware store ran out of wasp spray.

15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes!!! That's CRAZY Joe!!! I'd call Orkin!!

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smartone, I'm a do it your selfer for almost all projects. Hiring people to do projects is just not in my dna. As I'm getting older, that may change. But for right now I'm on a mission to get rid of those buggers!

OK, one exception. Last year, I tried trimming a 6" diameter tree limb about 12 ft up. It fell the wrong way and knocked me off the ladder. Nothing broken, but very sore for a week. From now on, no more ladder tree trimming, I'll hire somebody if I can't reach it from the ground.

17. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. That is some nest. Glad you are ok.

18. mona

mona Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You need to knock that nest out of there!!! Scary thought, I know.

Flamingo with the sibs!!!
    5 nights NYNY!!!
  19. WestTexas

WestTexas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have sprayed wasps nest with WD-40. They don't come back to the nest, then after a few days I knock it down.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It took two night time treatments, but they are all gone and the hive is disposed of. Then when I finally got into the shed, I found two more small colonies being built. One more night treatment to get rid of them.

WestTexas, I'll have to try that the next time. The wasps are very annoying and can be aggressive, but they do pollinate, just like honey bees and I dislike killing them. If the WD40 just gets them to move on, I could live with that, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.