1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SLS dining question (and bonus Spice Market Buffet/Groupon Q)

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Vegas Insight, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It might be a bit early to predict the demise of the SLS, but with reports that the building is hemorrhaging cash, and given the fact I have never been there, it's time to dine there next month. I'm pretty sure my one meal there is going to be the difference between them making it and breaking it.

Failed attempts at humor aside: What do you recommend for one meal there, and why? I'm not concerned about the cost, but I assume that if you recommend a restaurant, you find the price tag to be acceptable for what you receive in exchange.

Bonus question: I don't visit buffets very often, but I know Spice Market is popular. Goopon is selling a buffet for two people at $49, and claiming it's a $90 value. When I look at the SM menu online that Goopon links to, it say the cost per person is $30 with your player card. That's $60. Even at the non-player card rate, it's $62. How do they come up with $90 for the value?

Do they charge extra for unlimited beer/wine with your buffet? I saw no indication of that, but if so, then perhaps that's where the extra $28 comes in.

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The spice market answer is the unlimited drinks in the groupon.

3. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I must not be very smart, because I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Are you saying that the normal rate of $31 for the tourist off the street doesn't include alcoholic drinks?

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, most buffets make you pay extra for alcoholic drinks. PHo definitely overcharges for theirs; I would never pay for it out of pocket. Also, you have to pay taxes on the spice market groupon. You can use Total Rewards credits to pay for that though, but doing that would also trigger a Caesars gaming day.

5. 18000rpm

18000rpm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate at Bazaar Meat at the SLS and it was fantastic.

Also tried Umami Burger which is pretty good for a quick simple meal.

6. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thanks for the info. I don't eat at many buffets in Vegas these days, regardless of the price point. I have no idea who offers alcohol at their buffet or how they charge. I usually don't wash my food down with beer, so that makes the Goopon of little value to me.

Since I don't gamble on the strip, I have no TR benefits. I have a card, but I bet it hasn't been put to use in four years.

7. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have heard a few people claim to love the Umami, but when I looked at the price of the burger, and saw that you need to pay $4 above that for the privilege of freedom fries, I shied away from that option. I know a good burger can cost $10+ but $18 for their burger and fries seems hard to swallow.

8. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

Cleo is my pick. It's a unique offering and the eats are really good. I did like Bazaar Meat, but if I return I'll go to the bar and request the off the menu pork sandwich. It was the best thing we had all and ironically the most affordable. Umami is decent, but overpriced... I can only recommend it at a discount.

9. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.