1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your first dining experience in Vegas

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Speaker, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speaker

Speaker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey everybody,

do you still recall what was the first restaurant you ever visited in Vegas? Maybe you even remember what you were having?

Did you make it a habit to visit it again and again since then or did you never look back?

My first dining was after a 14 hour flight from Europe; after checking in to the Aria we were too hungry to go to bed but didn't want to go to far as we were quite exhausted. So we settled for Todd's English Pub right around the corner from checkin. I had a bison burger which was my first burger in the States and I immediately rejoiced, best damn thing I had until then.

Since that first day I go there at least once every trip I made (to be honest it helped that we stayed in the Aria most of the times).

How about you?

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Westward Ho buffet. Mmmmm Mmmmmm good :)

3. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2005, Spago In the Forum Shops.

Cant remember what we ordered.

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FIX.

Still hate that place as much as I did that first night.

5. Vegasaddict2014

Vegasaddict2014 Low-Roller

Bayside Buffet at MB and it was awful. I won't be going back!

6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first stay was at Boardwalk. So the fact that I can't remember my first dining experience in Vegas might just be my brain employing a coping mechanism to avoid further emotional trauma.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1973 McDonald's near the Tam O Shanter motel we were staying at on the Strip. Buddy and I had driven non-stop cross country, (32 hrs) blew the majority of our bankroll the first night and McDonald's seemed like a cheap choice. I didn't know anything about cheap buffets at the time.

8. yankees4ever31

yankees4ever31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    2013: Zoozacrackers Deli @ Wynn. We were starving and hadn't eaten since we woke up and left Brooklyn. It was great (because we were starving). Have been back since and realized we must have been hungrier than we thought. :thumbsdown: Needless to say, we'll be enjoying the Wynn's other options from now on.

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, it was almost certainly the Monte Carlo buffet.

First restaurant could have been Outback, sadly. I know it was on the first trip. I also recall drinks at Blondies, but sadly I think most meals on that trip were Monte Carlo buffet.

Didn't go to a nice restaurant until maybe the 3rd or 4th trip.

10. cjohnson202

cjohnson202 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first trip to Vegas was in 2009 and I was 22. I stayed at Planet Hollywood and the only two places I remember eating are Blondies and Cheeseburger Las Vegas, both of which were inside the Miracle Mile. I've now been to Vegas 10 times and I've eaten at both at least once a trip. Love them + it's tradition

11. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    July 1989, the buffet brunch at O'Sheas. I was 21 and didn't know better, but I thought it was pretty good. I stood in rapt amazement when they had made to order waffles.

"Viva! Las Vegas!" I thought.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  12. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Pub at Monte Carlo checked in around 7, 9 o'clock on our body and starving, plus heard of the beer selection. The next day the kids came in and wanted to have the fried potato balls so day two dinner there also. I know one day I had a burger and beers and one day the chicken pot pie and beers.

13. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

First trip was "with the guys" = I don't remember eating.
    Second trip, was solo - (Stayed ) + ate at Palace Station buffet.
    I asked the server for a "Doggie Bag" -- ( didn't know any better )
    I can still remember the look of sheer disgust on her face !
    Last trip w/ wife -
    We ate ate Emeril's Table 9 ( ?)
    One of our order's had the richest, uneatable creamy sauce on it.
    I said to my wife "I had one bite + i can't eat anymore....who could actually eat ALL THIS ?"

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! Yeah, I remember my first two meals in Vegas. Arrived late at night, hit the liquor and decided to "walk The Strip" because Mirage looked so close to Circus Circus. DOH! We couldn't figure out why we couldn't hail a taxi on the road back. Double DOH! Then we hit that coffee shop in Circus Circus, The Pink Pony? We ordered sandwiches and proceeded to fall asleep at the table, while waiting for food. I woke up with a club sandwich on the table in front of me. :haha:

Next morning, down for our "free buffet". Dan loaded up his plate, but I kept feeling like I wasn't seeing actual "food". I think it was whatever that gray liquid was coming out of the "eggs" that was the deal breaker. I had some cantaloupe and decided buffets were not my thing.

Yup. Not a great first trip. Ate "free buffets", paid rack rate for a Manor room at CC, thought we could walk to Mirage and beyond, etc. That gave birth to this site because I didn't want other people to make the same mistakes I did.

15. davidcyndi

davidcyndi MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pink Pony at circus circus.

16. JennAndRob

JennAndRob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Benihana's in the old LVH- now the westgate- we were at the SEMA convention and walked next door to it- good food, just typical hibachi... great atmosphere.. but the next time we went to Old Homestead at Caesars- we were waiting to go to the Celine concert having cocktails and didn't want a full stomach so we got the crab cakes and salad- very good- but the bread basket was amazing!

17. SteveO

SteveO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure it was IHOP on the strip back in about 1988 or 1989. Flew in late, slept, got up the next morning and walked up the strip a few blocks to IHOP. I don't even know if it is still there or not.

18. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First dining in Las Vegas was at the buffet at Mandalay Bay. I didn't like it and have never gone back.

The first problem was the wait was so long. Its not that the line up was long, but that hosts or pit bosses or whatever kept walking people up to the VIP line to cut ahead of the rest of us. It got to the point where even though there was only about 5 groups ahead of us it took almost an hour and a half to get seated because somebody was being walked up to the VIP line every minute or two. The line was even getting a little rowdy and two semi drunk guys got to the point of shouting insults at the guys bringing people up to the VIP cashier.

The second problem was that *EVERYTHING* in the buffet was coated in herbs and spices. I don't mind a little bit now and then, but I find some really strong tasting and there are a few that will upset my stomach and here it just seemed ridiculous, like even the buns and breadsticks were covered with the stuff.

19. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like it was yesterday.

Picture it, Las Vegas, 1997: Breakfast at The Surf Buffet at the Boardwalk.

Nuff said.

20. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First was actually a family road trip.... And wasn't in Vegas for Vegas but I stopped to see an old college friend. The kids, boyfriend (now hubby) and I decided we needed to find BurgR at planet Hollywood. Wound up finding it and eating at 11pm lol the kids were like wow dinner at 1am our time!!! They loved it though. That was the first time I ever been to Vegas, did no gambling cause of the kids. We spent the day doing touristy stuff seeing my friend then we went on with our road trip.

Hubby and I made our first trip to Vegas 2 years ago for our honeymoon :) this time no kids and lots of gambling. This next trip sept will be our 6th trip in the 2 years :)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.