1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Drinks on the plane

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SH0CK, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all know it's pretty easy to sneak some mini bottles of booze on a plane, but what I'm looking for are what kind of drinks do folks like to get from the flight attendants.

Typically, I like a vodka cranberry or vodka tonic, but some of the vodka on flights give me a headache a few minutes after drinking it, so I'd like to change that up. I've seen where Delta is starting to carry Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey, which I've been known to drink a bottle or 2, but I'm a little lost on what I could mix it with on the plane (I don't drink soda.)

So what does everyone else like to have for the flight or what recommendations are out there for a drink they could make on a plane with their limited booze and mixers?

2. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Allegiant so my choices are quite limited. It's either Jack and Coke or a few Heinekens.

3. StingerHook

StingerHook High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly southwest - wild turkey and ginger ale for me

4. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jack honey and ginger ale are very good together.

5. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no need to "sneak" alcohol on the plane. You can fill up a quart sized baggie of liquid containers and go through TSA and get on the plane. I always bring 4 4oz shots of Ciroc because, as another poster mentioned, the cheap vodka gives me a headache almost immediately. Ive done it so many times I can't count and never had an issue, and I have never thought I needed to hide it.

6. Carol1113

Carol1113 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't need to hide the little bottles--have been told by a TSA AGENT that if they fit in your quart bag it is no problem.
    And I always have at least 2 in the bag and have never been questioned about them

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TSA is not the issue here. Most airlines do not allow self serving booze onboard. Yes, folks do it often, but that does mean it is okay, or that it will be allowed next time. And technically, the TSA limit is 3.4 ozs. See here.

As to favorite drink onboard, I like wine. My brother likes beer. Another brother likes OJ and Vodka, other likes any whiskey and coke. Different people like different things.

8. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3.4 ounces per bottle. So as many as will fit in a quart bag is permitted since they are mostly 1.5 ounce bottles

9. Darreningreenwood

Darreningreenwood Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Scotch on the rocks. I fly SW, so they serve Dewars. Definitely not my favorite scotch, but the more you drink, the better it tastes. Follow it with a Coke on the side and you'll be feeling fine in no time.

10. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    vodka oj on SW has been gross every time I've ordered it. Watered down vodka is what it tastes like to me. I have on occasion taken the mini bottles through tsa ...bought a juice or soda at the airport store and mixed my own in the bathroom...then just walk on the plane with it. That way it is mixed the way I like. I wouldn't mind paying the $5 if they didn't give me all melted ice watered down liquor in my drink. In the old days they gave you the nip bottle and you mixed it yourself...now they mix it. ( or at least on my flights they did ).

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it's an FAA regulation that only employees of the airline can provide you with alcohol. TSA doesn't care as long as they are appropriately sized & packaged.

I fly delta and I drink Woodford, sometimes neat, usually with diet coke. (I know, it's sacrilege to do that to a decent bourbon - but last time I forgot to specify and got Jim Beam with diet coke and it was too sweet for me ;-)

For morning flights, you could also do baileys in your coffee.

12. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully nobody from Allegiant reads this board as they still give the whole bottle and the can of coke so you can mix it yourself.

13. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go with a margarita.

not great by any means, but palatable if I want to relax.

or I do a bloody mary in the mornings. pretty bad, but again, helps to relax and sleep on the flight.

14. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another vote for Woodford on Delta. Hope to have a couple or more on our flight to Vegas tomorrow afternoon.

15. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tend not to drink on flights, but if I do it's either Jack & Coke or Tanqueray & Tonic (flying Southwest). Anything else will give me a headache.

16. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love drinking but never drink on the plane. Just water.

I dont feel comfortable ding it and really dont understand why they serve it. I suppose its just a way to make a few extra bucks. You always hear the stories of the guy who goes crazy and takes off all his clothes or whatever and it always seems related to drinking. Just seems odd they would put themselves in a potential situation in an enclosed space like that.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hell, on our 3+ hour flight, you're lucky if you can get two drinks.

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been flying often for 30+ years. Million+ miles on one airline, close on a few others. For many years in 1st class for 90% of flights. No braggin, just that I almost always had free drinks. In first, they often serve during boarding and keep refilling during the flight - most of the time. In all those flights, never saw an issue. Sure, it does exist. Just like in real life.

I do believe some of the stories we hear about these days are a bit blown out of whack. A result of power hungry crew that results in a passenger getting more irate as a response. And, with social media, this stuff gets out in public QUICKLY.

19. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fly SWA and usually only have time for a very quick drink on the short flight from SMF...usually whisky over.

No problem with taking clothes off...years ago the FA's looked so nice I wish I could have. Now, they're mostly ancient and make me want to put more clothes on.

20. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im usually a bargain flyer and mostly a beer drinker underwhelmed by the selection, so don't tend to drink a lot on board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.