1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber and Lyft possibly to be operating in 30 days in Nevada

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by evoni, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evoni

evoni High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. 1slomofo

1slomofo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im only a recent user of Uber, but my experience has been absolutely stellar.

its easier to pay (automatic) and you save a few bucks.. I am IN

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I admire them for making a good service but something about it bugs me.

Imagine that restaurants started popping up that, because they are driven by an app, dont have to comlpy with the same health standards that the others have to. They will do the minimums.

people like the food and its affordable and no one seems to have gotten sick so whats the big deal?

As much as i am a small govt guy, I do like the fact that they have health inspectors and licensing and whatever else that is in place to make sure our food is safe.

Do you want to eat at the restaurant that isnt being inspected? I dont.

4. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If a Uber driver has a valid driver's license (your government at work) and they pass a CORI check, how is that different from a cab driver?
    What other regulations are imposed on cab drivers but not on Uber drivers?

5. evoni

evoni High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have to start imagining that, as there are Pop Up Restaurants and they operate via social media though I don't think they have a App yet, though there is a website for them. There's even a how to do article on about.com about how to organize a pop up restaurant and while they recommend getting the correct licenses, I'm sure some don't. Some of the pop up restaurants I have read about haven't been doing the minimums, frequently they are by well known chefs and the price isn't on the cheap. While other pop up restaurants are newer chefs trying to get experience or someone pops up a restaurant due to a event nearby. I would hope they would have their food handling licensing in place but I guess for those concerned they might not, those people won't eat at them.

So far I have mainly heard positives about Uber and Lyft, so I'm thinking of trying them in Vegas after they have been there for a month or so and if I'm reading people prefer them.

6. Char1

Char1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you Pay, I use them here and I prefer this service over a conventional Cab.
    We have been refused a ride because of the fare was not large enough.
    We have never had that issue with Uber.

Cheers

7. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this is a bad analogy but I'll entertain it. Food safety is much different than transportation safety.

Uber drivers (not UberX drivers) are fully licensed, commercial, professional drivers. This is where your argument completely falls apart. In your analogy... it would be like a restaurant catering a party at someone's home.

For UberX, they are licensed, insured, safety inspected, and have completed a background check.

What additional regulations/requirements do you think the government could put in place to ensure your safety from a driver beyond that?

And just remember, you're asking a government agency to oversee this. The same one that protects you from long-hauling by professional taxi drivers.

8. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well said.
    Why is it that people should have their personal decision on whom to get a ride from decided by government?
    I'm sure there will be enough scare stories promoted by the taxi unions but it should be a free market choice no?
    It's not like there aren't cab drivers with, uh, questionable backgrounds.
    My daughter has used Uber extensively in the US and Europe and loves them.
    I'll believe it when I see it that they'll get access to McCarran.

9. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, everyone has access to McCarran. I think you mean not everyone has access to the taxi/imo pickup and dropoff areas.

I take Uber to/from my local airport. Each time they drop me off and pick me up in the same place I'd expect to get picked up and dropped off from a friend/relative. I'm in constant contact with the driver and I've never had a problem connecting with him/her.

Same thing would occur at McCarran.

The pickup/drop off at the resorts on the strip would happen in much the same way. Tour companies do the same thing already (avoid the taxi/limo areas), so I'm not sure it's a really big deal. IMO that works out better for me anyways.

I just want to point out that Uber also works better in a free market than taxi services does. I once had a driver turn on the meter at the airport before I got in the car and he did several loops around the airport. This increased my bill by about $10 more than I would have spent. I sent my receipt to Uber (which includes a map that clearly showed he was circling the airport) and they refunded the money immediately. Try complaining to the taxi company to get a refund from a driver that long-hauled you and see how far that gets you. There's an incentive for Uber to have better, honest drivers and vice versa. A taxi complaint has to be proxied through a government agency that is very unlikely to do anything about it.

10. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe there are liability insurance limits that Uber/Lyft drivers are exempt from (unless that issue has been already settled).

11. B S

B S MIA

I use Uber every weekend. I would sure as hell use it in Vegas.

12. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber isn't perfect, but there is tremendous upside. Its a worldwide app where I can easily get service on demand in any major city, with no cash on hand. Newer cars, better driver attitudes. I think eventually you will see the taxi model merge with the Uber model, which for the most-part will be a negative for the Uber consumer.

I just got back from Vegas where cabs took me to the freeway both ways between Harrah's and DTG, so I have had it with them.

:beer:

13. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's all remember that the state of Nevada has already authorized Uber and Lyft to provide service in Nevada as long as they their drivers meet specific measure.
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?120777-Nevada-approves-bill-authorizing-Uber-Lyft-and-3-excise-tax

Other than that, let's keep any talk of the government out of this discussion. Thanks!

14. seviay

seviay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lyft has more stringent hiring standards than Uber at last check. For example, if a driver had a DUI (or DWI) 25 years ago, Lyft will not hire them; Uber will hire them, or at least isn't against hiring them. Look into their hiring practices. The idea I've gotten, also, is that Lyft expresses appreciation and shows that they value their drivers, whereas with Uber it's a little more "cold" if that makes sense. Anyway, I would probably choose Lyft over Uber if you're concerned with safety or anything else. I would probably trust a Lyft driver in Vegas over a cabbie 999 times out of 1000

15. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cab drivers undergo an FBI finger print background check and Metro SCOPE. No felons, drug convictions or drunk driving are given a TA card to be hired by a cab company.

16. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber does a background check and the following are a means to disqualify a driver:

DUI or other drug-related driving convictions
    Fraud
    Reckless driving
    Hit and runs
    Violent crimes (assault, battery, homicide)
    Acts of terror
    Sexual offenses
    A crime involving property damage
    Felony or misdemeanor for theft (burglary, stealing, robbery, anything alike)
    Fatal accidents
    Resisting/evading arrest

There are other various things that disqualify drivers as well, such as three or more traffic violations or accidents within a three year period.

But, I suspect you're pointing out that Uber using commercially available services to do background checks while the taxi authority goes through the FBI. I don't think any government agency gives me more peace of mind than a commercially available service doing the same thing. There's very little quality control in the government. But, with both gov't and commercial background checks, I guarantee people slip through the cracks. It's inevitable.

In addition, the taxi authority is a meaningless organization that can't even solve something as simple as long-hauling from the airport. With Uber, I get long-hauled, I complain, and I get my money back. It's that quick and simple. They do nothing to improve consumer safety, IMO.

17. Sinatraatthesands

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a local who drove a cab the first six months I lived here and uses cabs often I will give you a little insight on UBER and LYFT in Vegas. You want to get UBER to pick you up at ARIA and take you to the North or South outlet malls or downtown you will be able to do that all day long. You want a ride from MGM to the airport or Mandalay Bay to Ballys or the Convention center back to the strip forget it. Never going to happen. .No UBER driver after their first 48 hours is going to drive to you for those rides. Sorry, I know it's not what a lot want to hear but it's just simple math and not ever going to be worth it for them. In fact they will lose money doing it. The biggest benefit Uber is going to bring is to Las Vegas locals who are very underserved cabs who for the most part want nothing to do with their rides. The same way Uber is going to want nothing to do with driving through traffic wasting time and gas to pick someone up for a ride under $20 on the strip. The paradise corridor will be benefitted by UBER big time as well. After 3am when the clubs let out you will see every UBER driver in town on the strip hoping those drunk kids don't notice the surge pricing and pay $185 for a ride from Encore to Venetian.

18. Sinatraatthesands

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You trust some 24 year old millennial named Trevor in Palo Alto more than the FBI for background checks?

19. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber drivers simply pick up what's close to them. They don't drive a half hour to pick up a short haul. If they're at Venetian and someone calls for a ride at Venetian, they pick them up. If they're at Mirage, they cross the street or someone closer gets them. A lack of Uber drivers on the roads that requires a longer drive to pick up customers, surge pricing goes into effect to help compensate drivers

On top of that, there's a base fee and a minimum charge. And, they only hand over a certain percentage to Uber and the driver keep the rest.

All of these things make for a much more efficient system than the current, out-dated taxi system.

In fact, Uber works much more efficiently in a crowded, urban area and it doesn't work very well in the suburbs. It's a proximity based system, so the more people on the street, the better it works. When you get out to the suburbs, they are far less customers and therefore far less Ubers driving around, and drivers are less willing to make the drive out to pick up.

You're thinking of Uber with a taxi mind and that's not what it is at all.

But, that's probably because you're not very familiar with ride sharing and have never used it. You should try it. You'll never use taxis again.

20. B S

B S MIA

The biggest thing is that needs to happen. Let it sort itself out. Could it fail? Yes. Would it fail? Maybe? Why not let the supply and demand take care of it.

I will never use a Taxi again, unless in Vegas and its the only option. Uber/Lyft experiences have been a lot better.

As far as the back ground checks go, I will side with statistics, there is an extremely small chance of any issue in either scenario (taxi or lyfy/uber). So when faced with no car or intoxication I will take the safest form of transportation.

The best things for consumers is competition. Right now the Taxi Authority has a monopoly on riding in Vegas, why not challenge that for the good of the customer?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.