1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fox Car Rental

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by QIKFIX, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QIKFIX

QIKFIX Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coming from Australia, I have not heard of this company, are they decent to rent off??

We use Rhinocarhire.com and it gives you the hire company once you've made a reservation.

Or any better sites to go through?

Q

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used them twice. Once was fine. Second time they tried to charge me for an existing scratch on the car. I told them I wasn't going to pay for it and I'd dispute any charges or claims...they whined about it but ultimately didn't do anything. If they were significantly cheaper than the mainstream companies (like 20%) I'd probably use them again.

Do y'all have costco? I rent from costco travel's website almost exclusively now.

3. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fox has excellent prices. Cars can be iffy- not so new and high mileage. I always inspect a rental car very carefully and take photos both before and after because numerous agencies will try to scam you. It happened to me with Dollar, and when I had the evidence they dropped it.

Fox requires patrons to take a second shuttle from the general rental center to its facility just off the south end of the Strip. It's not so bad because it's the same general direction most people are headed anyway.

4. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use fox quite often but I don't like the long drive down to return the car and the double shuttle. Cars are cheap and depending on when you go sometimes you get a new car sometimes it is older with more miles so just luck of the draw but all the cars are still new enough that they are safe and reliable and will do the job.

I will still use them as it is less than taking a taxi a few times and I can have the flexibality of driving.

5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Fox is like most other rental car places - they want to upsell and also scare you into unneeded insurance. Yes, their prices are probably better than the other Vegas companies, but the double shuttle to a site about 10 miles south of town is cumbersome and they may not have the type of car you request.
    Buyer beware.

6. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used them once and probably won't again.

I reserved a Fiat 500 (this comes up later) about 2 years ago, when they were kind of the new cute little fun car. The initial paperwork took way too long: about a 20+ minute wait in line while there was only 2 people working the counter plus 15 or so minutes to complete while arguing with them about them continuously re-adding the insurance that I declined multiple times.

Once I got to the lot to pick up the car they informed me that they're out of Fiat 500's. The guy points to a line of cars and says I can pick anything in this row. There was a Toyota Yaris, some other little car, and a Ford Focus. We picked the Focus and the guy said "Yeah, that's what I'd pick."

We load our bags, get things adjusted, go to the gate to leave. Hand the lady our paperwork and she gets very stern and says "That car is 2 levels above what you rented, I'll get fired if you take that car! You need to take that back and get a smaller car."

Oy, we ended up with a Yaris. While a fine cheap commuter car, wasn't the fun little car the Fiat seems to be. I have a feeling that they intentionally had few Fiat's and vastly over-booked them.

Otherwise, the return was no big deal and the extra shuttle was fine.

7. Nick61

Nick61 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used them once myself, because they were the lowest priced company. But the customer service I received was very substandard. I had to wait extended periods of time, both picking up and returning the car. On getaway day, make sure you allow extra time. I was faced with waiting in line to return the car with about 20 other people, and they had one lone person manning this task. The process seemed to take forever. I was lucky I had allowed myself plenty of time that day, otherwise I may not have made my flight.

Also remember, you must take the initial shuttle from the airport terminal, then catch a 2nd shuttle to then arrive at the Fox car lot location. And it works in reverse when you return the car. Then you must shuttle to the main car rental facility, where you then take a 2nd shuttle to the airport. I found that to be frustrating and very tedious.

Also, the car I received ran fine. But it clearly had been through a few wars usage wise, with nearly 40,000 miles on it.

Basically they're cheaper for a reason. And I won't consider them again, unless the other companies are significantly more expensive.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know why Fox doesn't just run their shuttle from their place directly to/from the airport unless for some reason they aren't allowed. Maybe there is a rule/law that says rental car shuttle from the airport can only go to the main rental car building.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If cost is your primary concern then Fox has some of the lowest rates in vegas. (they usually have the lowest rates on rental searches). And while many people on our site use Fox I try to avoid them as much as possible. Too many horror stories coming from others, of low inventory, long waits, cars with high mileage, problems with your bill, etc. etc. I have been lucky to find other rentals with comparable prices so I usually go with the ones located in the airport rental facility.

I'll be in vegas in 20 days and I found some excellent rates using advantage rent a car. If you use the Advantage coupon code DCCLICK you get 5% discount. I haven't been able to find that good rate using KAYAK or Carrentalsavers or other sites. While Advantage isn't that great a company either I feel more comfortable renting from them than I do with Fox.

I think it is either a rule or maybe the airport will charge if you (rental companies) want to stop off to pick up and drop off your customers at the airport.

10. arizsumda

arizsumda Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always use Carrentalsaver.com. I recently made a reservation for 16 days, started out at $435, now down to $363. I check back every day, when the price drops I rebook, easy to cancel existing reservation for a new one. Still have 4 weeks, I expect to still get a lower price

11. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A driver explained once to us that in order to pick up customers at the airport, Fox would have to pay several million in I think some sort of franchise fee. So they use the second shuttle as a dodge. He felt that eventually the good folks at McCarran would find a way to make Fox pay, which would result in higher rental rates. Hasn't happened so far.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.