1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who else has incredibly rotten luck?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Drambler, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drambler

Drambler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I went to LV a few weeks ago. I think it was maybe my 24th trip?

It was a great time as usual, but once again I got my ass handed to me at the tables. It was insane how bad my luck was at blackjack. If I doubled or split I lost no matter what I got. If I ended up with 21 the dealer would tie. I had pit bosses watching and laughing. I had dealers telling me to not sit down since they were blown away by how bad the cards were going for me. I tried everything, switching tables, leaving, sitting out hands, etc. It did no good.

The problem with this bad luck is that it isn't an anomaly. I am 3-24 on wins and losses. I've been doing to LV for nearly 20 years and this has happened countless times. I read people's trip reports here and there is always some miracle comeback and I have to say I've very rarely gotten one myself.

I play basic solid basic strategy. I even take the chart with me if I need it. Yet I seem to be facing a 50% house edge. I was going to write a trip report but was so demoralized that I haven't even looked at this board since I got back.

Anyone else have this sort of luck?

2. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas wasn't built on winners.

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Certainly feels like that sometimes, but overall I'd say I have perfectly ordinary luck.

Remember, the longer you play, the less lucky you will feel, because it is more time for house edge to take over and bigger chance you will be a trip loser, and because the bad runs are often far more memorable. When your good hand stands up or your double wins, that is only what was 'supposed to' happen.

If you are betting pretty flat and playing for a long time on these trips, the expectation would be that you will walk away a loser far more often than not.
    If you chase losses, you will probably bank small wins far more often. You'll also have some epic comeback stories , but often when you lose for a trip you'll get CRUSHED
    If you parlay wins, you will end up with a lot of definitive losses, but when you win it could be a great story.

4. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been getting hammered at VP lately. The quads have not been coming with much frequency. A few weeks ago through about 6 hours of playing I hit exactly 2 quads (both 5's-K's) and 1 straight flush. Last weekend I played about 4 hours and started off strong with 4 Aces but it was at nickles on a multihand machine. I hit only 2 more at quarters. I had to switch to Bonus Poker as DDB was kicking my arse.

5. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the club. Why I play craps anymore, I have no idea.

6. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Line bet, get a point, full odds, 54 across and 75 on the don't...

Seven out, FML

- - - Updated - - -

Line bet, get a point, full odds, 54 across and 75 on the don't...

Seven out, FML

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a secret to bet the bad luck.

Don't play that game. Play something different or try just sdpending time drinking. Works every time.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a secret to bet the bad luck.

Don't play that game. Play something different or try just sdpending time drinking. Works every time.

8. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone ALWAYS asks me why I keep going to Vegas if I never win?? I have terrible luck, but I love Vegas!!!

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dunno if I would call my luck rotten, but it's not awesome either. I have yet to have a win in Vegas greater than $100. Not even totally sure I have had any trip win (I am bad about recording results). No royal flushes in almost 3 years straight (missed 2 more 4 to a Royal draws last weekend), and I've played enough VP to probably have about 2 in that stretch.

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This may not make sense, but don't play to win, play to break even.

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had GREAT luck on Wednesday evening! I'm not much a player during my business visits, but I sat down a couple days ago at the Hard Rock's Midway Bar and put $100 in a bar top VP DDB. I started playing at the .50 level. In the short span of a little less than an hour I hit probably 5 4-OAK's and 8 full houses. I cashed out a little over $800. The machine seemed so hot to me, I struggled with getting up, but I wanted to shower and have dinner. I came back down and sat at the Luxe Bar for a couple cocktails before dinner and put in $200... again at the .50 level... and once again, inside of an hour I'd hit 4 or 5 4 OAK's (2 were 4 A's). I then had all diamonds show-up and see FLUSH above the cards, but looking closer I have 4 to a diamond Royal on deck... I discard the off diamond and... bummer... no Royal, but no shit, I did hit another couple 4 OAK's and cashed-out $1200. So I won $1700 in less than 2 hours the hard way. I was hungry, but I've never had a run like that... I even got a straight flush and I've only ever gotten one of those before. I took my TITO's had a super dinner at 35 Steaks and went upstairs. I cashed 'em in the next morning before heading to a meeting. I wonder what would happened if I kept playing... would my streak have continued or would I have likely put it all back in, had a fantastic time and a headache in the morning to prove it. I'll never know...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  12. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makes sense to me since I play for the fun. Adult entertainment, not a money making venture. I will agree though that it isn't fun if all that is happening is the money is being sucked right out of your wallet with no give and take.

13. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget, everyone who has one incredible, lucky trip, has had 20 unlucky trips. When you are reading those trip reports, most people won't tell you that they played thru their win and gave it all back. Some people are good and take it home, but I am willing to bet that many will give it back. I know I've done it more times than I care to remember.

14. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One needs to look no further than Beejay, Packer, Broncofn and ACMikes trip reports and realize lady luck is real. Some people run good and others run baaad. It is what it is.

15. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah when it comes to non-live TRs, they are often more biased in the win column in the end because who wants to write up a TR called: "I lost my ass in Vegas all week. Why did I come here again?"

wanker751's live TR last week mostly fit this title unfortunately, but he was a trooper and kept the TR going.

16. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok... a few questions then... are you playing exclusively 3:2 games? Is DAS allowed? What table minimums are you playing? Do you have pre-set win/loss exit points for a table?
    What is your average bet as a percentage of your trip's "daily" bankroll?
    It's possible that you're over-betting your bankroll.

Lawrence Revere (in his book that taught me the simple plus/minus count), recommends that your average bet should never be higher than 2% of your daily bankroll... and that this must be re-assessed after every session.
    So, at say $25/hand average, your daily bankroll should be $1250+. If you lose $300 in your first session, you have $950 left....2% of that? $19. Lose another $200? You have $750 left and your avg bet should now be $15. And so on.

By keeping to this, and only playing tables with decent rules, the variance inherent with the game should not usually be that harsh... and you should rarely be felted at a session.

In the long run, the dealer will win their 49 hands to your 43 hands, and you'll push 8 times.
    You cannot change this math. You can only change what you bet on your winning hands and on your losing hands.
    You can also be sure to double & split when you should... and I'm sure you're already doing this.

Everyone has bad runs...everyone has bad trips. If you're only 3 of 24 playing blackjack, something is wrong. That number should be closer to 11 of 24.

I realize that a winning session does not mean a winning trip, but rack up enough of them and it will be.

At $20 a hand & a $1000/day bankroll, you should be able to hold your own pretty well for 10 to 14 hours a day playing blackjack... "hold your own" as in, you should end the day either up or down less than $200. If you count, that will be "up" more often than it will be "down".
    Plus/minus count on a two-deck game is not that hard. Bet small enough & you won't even be noticed....even if (like me) you're kind of sloppy about it.
    Try Gold Coast on your next trip... bet reds... have a modest objective for your daily wins and your trip win... you may be very surprised at the outcome.

Annual Spring Trip!
  17. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tringlomane, you just named my trip report for my October trip! God I hope not, but probably. :rolleyes2:

18. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah other than the most recent trip I had my previous ones were less than stellar in the gambling dept.

I am competitive and hate to lose - even if I have bankrolled and mentally prepared myself to light the cash on fire - I still hate when I cannot get any traction. Its one thing to have great sessions or even nice sessions and win a few bucks and then give it back. Then I would be pissed at myself for being a knucklehead. But when you buy in and cannot even finish a beer its frustrating.

Two things that piss me off the most...

Point seven outs in dice....they'll kill the bankroll with a quickness

And when playing blackjack or Spanish 21 and I continuously get 12-16s...one time I drew seven 14s in a row and I'd either draw a ten/face or stay and the dealer would make the hand. Meanwhile the dealer will have a 13 and pull a 4-5-6...grrrr

19. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ms. Gecko and I have had real rotten luck during our last three trips. Not that we always win, but we're certainly not used to losing so much so consistently. We may have figured it out. You see, for the past dozen years or so, we've played mostly blackjack and a smattering of craps. Then, to make things a bit more interesting, we recently added in Pai Gow, Three Card Poker, Ultimate Texas Hold'em, Texas Bonus Poker, and started playing at lot more VP. I also got sloppy with my usual record keeping, so it's difficult to know exactly what's responsible.

Ms. Gecko recently decided that we should go back to basics and stick with blackjack on our upcoming trip. I'm inclined to go along; that is, if she's willing to cut back on VP. I feel that's half the problem and don't particularly enjoy hitting buttons ... even when winning! We better get our collective acts together this time or I fear our usual Halloween and mid-December trips may be in jeopardy.

20. debriley

debriley Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in Vegas two weeks ago and my luck was so bad I wanted to go home at the end of the trip (I usually whine about trip being over ALREADY). I took 8k bankroll , ended up pulling 4k more out of atm, and lost it all over 8 day trip ....and I am not a big better... We're talking 25 or sometimes 50 at blackjack. Slots I'll do 1 -2 dollars a pull. I always lose when I go to Vegas but this was worst trip ever. I had one day where I broke even for the day, and 7 days with significant losses.....no winning days [emoji34]. I'm stunned when I read the trip reports of the folks that claim to make money most trips........I always lose, just depends on whether I lose it all or just partial.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.