1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

August Car Rental

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by 21wins, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

Really not finding the prices dropping much on my August rental (8 days).

Right now best I could find is $212 all in for a full size car through Thrifty(cheaper than the compact we always rent)..

I'm checking daily on Thrifty/Dollar, Alamo, Budget, Car Rental Savers ,Costco, AARP and Hotwire.

I've been renting a car in Las Vegas for over 28 years and have never seen the prices not drop. They have actually gone up since I booked this in May. I figured I always rebook as prices decline. But not this time so far.

Anyone finding lower prices?

Thinking I might have to try Priceline in a little while.

Thanks in advance.

2. knasinnh

knasinnh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not sure when you are going, but I am going 20-24th, and is saw a rate drop with Alamo and Dollar about 2 weeks ago. I had insomnia and checked late on a Friday night/ Early Saturday morning.. I actually booked it like 3:10 am according to my email confirm. Come Saturday afternoon the rates jumped back up. I have scored in the past going to Vegas re-booking the day before or the day I leave.. Good Luck!

3. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going Sept 1-6 and had booked via Costco a month or so ago (always the cheapest for me). I checked again this week and the rate had dropped 30%. So keep checking :)

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You didn't give us the exact dates you will be renting the car (aug 24 - sept 1?) so hard to determine if there are lower rates.

Advantage rates today are lower than before, use coupon code DCCLICK (advantage provided code so anyone can use it) for a 5% discount. They seem to be even lower than Costco and Carrentalsavers and the rental agency sites. I'm renting a car from Aug 30 to Sept 5 and I got a "pick em" car for $172. All the other sites all show cars closer to $200 for the 5 1/2 days. Beware though, I just checked and found the price went up $6 so best to lock in when you see the price lowered. Best to check all your sites daily as prices could drop at any time. Unfortunately Advantage rates for aug 24 - sept 1 are high for a full sized car (any car actually), same with the other sites so the $212 rate is so far looking good but best to check the sites regularly to see if the rates drop.

I also like thrifty because you can select a "prices for vegas" button that drops the rental prices a little. Sometimes those prices are lower than the other sites. And sometimes carrentalsavers have low rates also.

It's funny because I was checking the Costco site. For a 6 1/2 day rental my price was $30 cheaper than a 5 1/2 day rental. Not sure why, it could be because I'm returning the car on a Saturday (versus a sunday)?

5. Guardian

Guardian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try autoslash.com

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hmmm, I just checked out autoslash.com. It kind of reminds me of carrentalsavers.com except that autoslash doesn't show as many companies as carrentalsavers.

But then I guess the best site for someone is whichever site that gives you the best prices for your rental.

7. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

You are right 8/24-9/1 (8 day rental)

I've been checking several times a day on all the sites I mentioned in my initial post.

right now $212 for 8 days(all in) full size Thrifty

Thought by now I'd see sub $200 on the rental.

Checked last years paperwork and for a midsize thru Thrifty I paid $167 for a 9 day rental.

Just thought I might have overlooked a promo code or coupon that someone else has found.

I'll keep checking. Prices just seem to be higher this year.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Consider yourself lucky you locked in with the $212 rate. I can't find anything that cheap for your dates right now, not sure what is up at that time for rates to be so high.

Yup, I'm going to be there right at your tail end but I was able to lock into $170's rates a few weeks ago. I plan to leave right at the beginning of labor day weekend so maybe that's why the rates aren't as high. Like you I'm checking the web sites at least twice a day, hoping for rates to fall.

9. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:

10. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Costco includes the extra driver at no charge too, which for me I like, we do road trips from Vegas and it's nice we can both drive. Maybe other companies offer the extra driver at no charge but I'm not aware of any.

11. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Let's Ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same car is now $390 through Costco. I got my deal.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was lucky, just checked advantage site and got a rental for 8/30 to 9/5 (6 days) for only $132. It was a "pick em" car so hopefully I get a nice sized car. Better price than the $178 that I booked for.

Edited - price just went back up but at least I was lucky to get the lower price before it went back up. Wow, guess you really gotta book quickly or prices may go up.

13. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

Just booked an economy car for 8/24-9/1 (8 days) for $153.62(that includes all taxes and fees) with Advantage. I used promo code CD02CFCE71 for 10% off.

I've never used Advantage before. Anyway to bypass the counter?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, sorry, you have to go through the counter with Advantage. Good that you got a great rate but IMHO, it might be good to keep your other booking just in case (their prices seem to be way lower than the other agencies so I'm a little wary that they might not honor the rate, saying that it was a mistake). btw, I tried your promo code but it said that it wasn't valid, not sure why. Anyway, when you exit the screen advantage gives you a DCCLICK promo code that also gives 10% off.

I don't mind advantage but like other companies I usually check my bill with a fine toothed comb, especially if it doesn't come out exactly as what I was quoted when I made the reservation. I did have some issues because they tacked on some "bogus" type charges, one was for a "daily lockout" charge of a few bucks a day (they will come out to you to unlock your car if you get locked out). Not a problem, I just told them that I didn't want the extra charge and they removed it from my bill.

Unfortunately bogus charges can occur at many of the agencies in vegas so best to check your bill. Some agencies like ez and payless might try to con you into believing those charges are required but I never had that problem with Advantage.

I've been renting from Advantage for over 15 years (they were called US rent a Car in vegas before Advantage took them over), one of the good things for me is that they usually upgrade me to a bigger car (I usually rent an economy but get upgraded to a compact, once I was upgraded to a full sized car since they didn't have smaller cars available).

I also was lucky, my 6 night stay (Aug 30 - Sept 5) I got a pick em rental for only $122 with Advantage. Strange because all other agencies (except may be Fox) their rates are at least $40 to $50 higher so I'm a little wary why their prices are so low.

15. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

Sorry I typed in the wrong Promo code. It should be CD02CFCE71 (I left the zero out -since corrected in my post above)

I hope they honor the price. I have my confirmation and my email printouts in case there is an issue.

I haven't cancelled my other reservation yet. Really hoping one of the other companies comes close to the Advantage rate so I can bypass the counter.

I'll update this thread if I find a better price.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  16. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

Just checked Advantage again, Price went down to $147.14 with above coupon code. Rebooked it.

17. playertom

playertom Tourist

keep checking. i just got back and three days before i left i got a full size from dollar for 19 days at $460 out the door taxes and all charges included

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.