1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Scottish golfer in Sept

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by celticnoel79, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celticnoel79

celticnoel79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So we're heading to Vegas early Sept and I'm looking to squeeze in a round (maybe 2) I've already played
    Angel Park
    Seina
    Paiute Sun
    Las Vegas national

By far my most enjoyable round was Angel Park only because it was with mates but the BEST course I played was Paiute Sun although I enjoyed the other 2 also
    I was hoping to play Wolf Creek but sadly they're closed for overseeding when I'm there my question is do I play one of the above courses I mentioned or do I try a dif course, I hear Pauite Wolf is very nice but I was hoping for something a little closer to the strip, another I was looking at was Aliante, is that a good option? I'll be bringing my own sticks so no need for rentals, any advice greatly appreciated, cheers

2. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad on wf creek. Try some others on mesquite/Utah. A bit of a drive but definitely different! Sand Hollow is great. All the top end ones around strip are fine but when I go far, I want something special.

Was I. Glasgow a month ago for my almost annual trip. Can't seem to get enough! Always get great weather beginning of June unlike Open this week

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you were willing to drive to Mesquite then something closer to the Strip doesn't really seem that important. Agree on some of the St. G courses -- Sand or Coral -- but that is a drive. My fave course not counting the $500 monster of Shadow is Coyote Springs, followed by Paiute Snow and Paiute Wolf. Reflection Bay is also back in business. Paiute doesn't overseed.

4. celticnoel79

celticnoel79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheers Ken yeah I really liked Paiute so playing Snow or Wolf is defo an option, overseeding in Sept really seems popular as ive struggled to find a course thats open for play! I stumbled upon Silverstone would you recommend that? The price seems great as im on a bit of a budget this trip. Still toying over the idea of bringing my clubs or just hiring a set still not decided yet. Cheers.

5. celticnoel79

celticnoel79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Ken just checked out the video for Cayote Springs and WOW i loved the look of that,just a shame its an hour drive away but most likely worth it and a reasonable price too! How would you recommend booking Cayote then, directly through the course itself or is there a discount website youd recommend, cheers.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silverstone is pedestrian. Glad it sounds like you already decided on Coyote. I'm not sure if/how they market to third parties. Check with the course, golfnow, etc. Excellent choice, my friend, excellent choice.

7. celticnoel79

celticnoel79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheers Ken Coyote it is! Can't wait to play it looks stunning! Thanks for the advice

8. celticnoel79

celticnoel79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coyote Springs all booked up! Cant wait to hit those fairways, have they got a clubhouse to have a beer after my game? Ive checked online but it sounds like its only a trailer according to one of the reviews I read, that would be a bit of a bummer. Also I read they dont have a course ranger so slow play could be an issue can you confirm this Ken? Course looks stunning though so hopefully I dont have any issues and enjoy my game, cheers again Ken.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They still are working out of temp quarters but you can get a cold one and of course if Jelly is on the golf cart that day, please give her our love.

:beer:

I can't make Coyote work for next month's trip. The other golf won't suck though. You have a great time and a great trip overall!!

10. celticnoel79

celticnoel79 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheers Ken that's good news, Karl has sorted me out with a tee time so I'm all set! Have a good one yerself and thanks again, James

11. Rdurnwald

Rdurnwald Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely, Cascata----its fantastic

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, give a shout out to Karl for me.

13. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had many bookings with Karl at Coyote as well when he was at Primm. He's a good guy.

You will love Coyote Springs - my favorite course in the area!

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I were to re-do the Vegas golf book, Coyote would jump Paiute. I felt that the first time I played it and having been out there six or eight times, I stand by it. Shadow is in a special category given the cost and access limitations -- and as you might know I dealt with that a particular way. But that's the only of the silly-priced courses that Coyote can't top.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty good flyover of Coyote

16. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After watching the flyover, it really helps you visualize Nicklaus and his wide fairways, then his premium on iron approach shots with accuracy. Too bad that is the worst part of my game! What you don't see are treacherous large green complexes that stress putting the ball on the correct level - or be ready for a guaranteed 3 putt!

17. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three putt, LOL I should be so lucky!

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Team Nicklaus knocks it out of the park and time has only improved their design craft. He doesn't always get the best land, and he often has to deal with housing, but you get a good, interesting, playable course over and over.* I think one of the things he learned best, from Dye, is what you're getting at with your comments from what the aerial discloses ... this shit looks a lot scarier from the tee. It seems basic -- moving the lines -- and yet so many courses fail that. And I don't think anyone does multiple tees better, I just don't. It might be 4800 yards, but that player is not being insulted by a flat patch mown willy nilly somewhere "up or over there, who cares, just do it, it's not like it matters." (I'm looking at you, Ken Hunter, well, except that you're dead but I'm still looking at you and your disdain for the fronts.) Give people a chance to get it in play, let them experience some of the same thrills and challenges, let them choose from there. I likey. And, oh, those greens!!

*Quivira Exception: I played his new course in Cabo right before it opened, and they gave him about 5 billion acres. Because of the topo it is totally disjointed, but the holes all just scream save one little blind cliffhanger that will be reworked a few times for certain, and for the caricature of the "signature setting" dangling above the Pacific/Sea of Cortez, it works.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  19. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, isn't Coyote a Jack Signature course? Like Hualalai, Proghorn, RBay etc? Have you found a difference in the courses that are not Signature's with Jack's more personal input?

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. You nailed it. Have you played Escena in Palm Springs?

It really comes down to $$$$. It's not just that a "Jack-only" fee is higher, but you're dealing with a developer who not can but will offer up a larger build budget, some better corridors even if the envelope ain't perfect -- Coyote is, after all, hemmed in future home sites, yet with club in hand it's core golf -- or even move some other higher-dollar-yield use to get that view shed or another whiff of the sea mist.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.