1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's for dinner?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jul 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Decided to make a pizza. Olive oil, fresh rosemary, a little prosciutto, sprinkling of mozz and parm-regg, top with arugula when it comes out. Drink? Carbonic sangiovese.

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Green beans from the garden with almond pesto. Grilled chicken sausage. And I had some white beans leftover so I made a salad with cucumber & tomatoes (from the garden), a little parsley, feta & balsamic.

Saison homebrew on tap :) (and Dane just tapped a new cascade ale he brewed in May)

Pizza sounds good - I haven't done a grilled pizza yet this year....I have some smoked chicken leftover from last weekend - maybe I can do a smoked chicken grilled pizza on the weekend....

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Leftover chinese

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice.

Terri has me building more raised beds since cut flowers are elbow to elbow in one and herbs are now competing with celery, lettuce and fennel in another. Wish I could grow on your scale. At least we have farmstands all around us. And we're getting our first citrus "crop" since the move. lol Having a Eureka and Bearrs in pots ain't like the two-dozen trees we had down south, but then again we don't have to live down south so it's OK. I do miss my citrus grove, I will say.

Last night we took whole chicken breasts and dredged 'em in flour and ground ancho. Browned 'em in some olive oil and then roasted. I'd frozen the leftover blackberry-ancho sauce from when the guys were here so got that out for a topper. Smasher spuds with chives. Asparagus. Great easy dinner on a Monday night!

Cascade ale. Nice, too.

5. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went down to the garden with a knife and a hose to wash the veggies off! Lily the horse provides the fertilizer. The tomatoes, green beans, cukes and lettuce along with the good New England soil and sunshine did the rest! One of my favorite things about summer.

I love a great steak, salmon, pork, chicken and especially lamb but there's just something about growing my own. I planted late but when my corn comes in I don't even bother to cook it. Just shuck and eat. Nothing fresher, nothing better!

6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Piggy,
    we had hamburgs on the grille, with fresh yellow beans, corn, cukes and cherry tomatoes from the garden....
    you are right...but we steamed the corn on the grill and used a herb butter on it.....
    as Jed Clampett would say.... whoooo doggies

ps...back in high school me and a couple others purchased the corn field behind Angelos on Route 9(Angelos is worthy of a whole nother story)...when we picked early in the AM we would often shuck an ear or two for breakfast.... i was 17 at the time...

When I was 17, it as a very good year....:evillaugh

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chicken in a spinach wrap with some Hooters hot sauce, Romain lettuce and some rice noodles for some crunch.

9. firemanpete3

firemanpete3 Low-Roller

sadly frozen pizza.

10. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chateaubriand from the PISMO I broke down a while ago. Medium-rare for me. A bit more done for my wife. Nothing but salt and a good sear, finished in a low-temp oven. Mashed potatoes made with love (butter and cream, of course.) Salad.

Edit: Alton Brown is my hero.

11. sandman992

sandman992 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prime rib with a horseradish,garlic,rosemary crust. Fresh greens beans with bacon and smoked baked potatoe.

12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tonight (at a local BBQ joint).we had lemon-pepper wings as an appetizer followed by pimento cheese sandwiches, split fries and coleslaw (and a couple of $2 gin & tonics.)

Last night we had eggs-over-easy, grits, and homemade Canadian bacon. Prepping to make some more CB this weekend.

13. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jerk chicken with black beans and rice. Also a nice salad.

14. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A mouth watering bowl of freshly poured from the box Cheerios, half a packet of Splenda, and 1/3 cup of 2% milk.
    Dessert was a deliciously juicy peach procured from my local grocer.

15. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simple chili con carne. I added diced carrots, celery, and onion. I made it with store bought chili packets. Had some white rice with it and a side dish of tofu and diced green onions as a garnish. My drink was succulent bottled water.

16. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Procured!! (I love words!) It must be quite the peach! Sounds like a perfect meal :)

Tonight we're savoring the final half of the delicious footlong sub sandwich (on white!) that we bought at Subway at lunchtime. Though... last night was bbq filet mignon, fresh picked that morning corn on the cob and ceasar salad with homemade croutons and dressing. It's all in the balance.

Interesting thread Ken.

17. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually do quicker meals during the week and more complex on the weekends. But in general in the summer - yes, anything I can get fresh (whether from my own garden or the farmers' markets) is the best!!

Sadly it's a low year for my gardens, in comparison. A couple beds of seeds didn't germinate and I never went to the nursery to get replacements so they're fallow. And my tomato beds are in a regrowth year, planted with green manure now (clay & iron peas that I need to cut down this weekend) so I only have 3 potted tomato plants. But a little is better than nothing. We redid the herb beds last year -added a couple other terraces because they're on a slope - and that's working nicely. I spent some time working in one of the ornamental beds in the spring - I've been working to get rid of all the plants I no longer like (but put in the bed because they were free gifts and it's a large bed and we needed stuff ;-) All our landscape - ornamental or edible - is always a work in progress, but that's the way I like it.

Tonight - ground venison (from last hunting season) in peanut sauce with zucchini & bell peppers.

18. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about the garden soil. That's one thing the glaciers gave us 10,000 years ago, lots of rocks and gravel! My first crop every year is stone. Great for the walls, not so much for the tractor and sod buster. Second crop is also stone, pick those out of the tiller. Lily the horse converts grass, grain and hay into fertilizer. I till this in, worms do the rest. Once fully tilled literally I have 18 inches of black, rich loam on top of good draining gravel. A gardeners dream! And I have a 550 foot deep well full of water but a spring just a hundred feet away if I need that for watering.

Yeah, I'm blessed! I've had people tell me I'm crazy to live in the woods. My nearest neighbor is 350 feet away. He's been there for five years. I don't know his name, never met him. My nearest streetlight is over a mile away. I'm surrounded by conservation land with deer, turkeys, bear (had one on the porch last winter eating suet from my feeders) and thousands of birds. I have a pistol and rifle range but don't hunt. Many love cities, I don't. I measured 34 dB ambient background noise average over an hour in my backyard recently. Try that in LA, NYC or Chicago!

Food is the great uniter and divider, isn't it? I have friends who have never eaten seafood and won't ever just because. Some have religious diet restrictions, some have allergic reactions. While one person likes one thing, another hates it. I think Bleu Cheese is awful but others rave over its flavor! Yuck! I once ate seven dozen small raw oysters! I know many who won't eat one. Food makes life interesting!

Keep the topic up every now and then Ken. Love it!

19. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting to where I hate cooking. I work from home and the last thing I want to do is stay jn and cook. That being said I do spend time cooking during the weekend . I made beef stew, roasted chicken and potatoes. Yep still love hearty foods during warm weather. Not to say that during the week we won't have hamburgers hotdog or something like that but it has to be extra quick.

20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PIggylane - we live in the country too (tobacco country ;-) and my veggies are in raised bed with good soil - including my own kitchen compost, and some composted manure from a farmer neighbor, and some soil we dredged from our irrigation pond (we actually live on an old tobacco farm and when they split the land, we got the piece with the pond) Far better than it could be. But farming/gardening is cyclical to a certain extent, and I don't mind that....Yours sounds great! My mom didn't garden when we lived in CT so I never knew....

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.