1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

9 days in Vegas baby!

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by sporty8705, Jul 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

We decided to go to Vegas to celebrate my birthday but I was supposed to be working summer school. I ended up not working summer school and so I decided 9 days in vegas was what I needed.
    We had been planning for weeks but didn't let my little one know anything about it.
    We picked him up from his dads house, told him of the surprise and were on the road...
    (The night before my brother had hurt his foot at church and thus ended up with crutches and a fiberglass cast. So he needed a scooter or something so I had to scramble around and find one on short notice.)

We drove near the airport and stopped at Dave and Busters and played games for a bit, ate and then off to the airport.
    There were 5 of us, 6 pieces of luggage, 4 carry-ons, and a pair of crutches.

Get checked in on southwest for our 9:30 flight out.. it is delayed. My kiddo had spent all weekend at dads house so he was a holy terror and I needed a drink. All the bars are closed in the airport.. No worries I said I will drink on the plane.. Plane finally gets in after 10, and the pilot yells at my kid. I am like what?! We just got on the plane, you don't know him. 20 of us on the plane.. we take off and pilot says no drink service, it is too turbulent. I was like nooooo I need a drink. Then he comes on and says ok quick service. I ordered a beer, then he comes on and says everyone needs to sit, they are coming to take back the drinks.. so I either needed to chug my beer or throw it away.. I threw it away.

The the pilot said he couldn't land from the direction we were coming from, so we had to cross over into AZ I believe so he could turn around and try again.
    We finally landed and the pilot comes to yell at my kiddo again. I was like who are you yelling at MY kid, he did nothing wrong.

We go down to baggage claim and meet our limo driver and he helps us grab all the luggage and get it into the limo..
    I finally check my phone and see that they guy I have been casually talking to/ flirting with from home was jealous that I was going to Vegas, and is actually now in Vegas and he says haha you flew, I drove and I beat you here.. He asks me to go out with him the next day!

We get to the Westgare to try and check in at like midnight and one room out of our 4 room suite is not ready. Really, at midnight!?
    So we go up and get settled in and wait for luggage.. finally asleep at 1am.

Woke up at 11am the next day.. got a late start for the day, grabbed the scooter for my brother and off for the day.
    Went out on my "date" that night and we went to dinner and gambled a bit.

During the trip we just gambled a LOT, shopped at LOT and ate at different places a LOT.

Tried Carnegie Deli (75 bucks with BOGO), Umami Burger ( 90 bucks), Michael Minas Pub (70 bucks) as well as Mandalay Bay, Mirage,Westgate, Excalibur and MGM Buffets.

Our 4 room suite for 9 days cost like 260 bucks total.. It was a great trip!

Had a limo back to the airport and waited for our flight. They were over-sold so they wanted to bump us, I said I had to think about it. Then I said if they would take 3 people we would do it, the other 2 would go on. They said no they now only needed 1 person. Ok, we boarded the flight to discover that my brother was missing his carry on and they said I could get off and RUN and go look. I got off, ran to look and when I came back was yelled at by several people saying they were about to kick my whole family off the flight because I went to look. WTF, I was just told I could go and look. So I said sorry, and I said the carryon needed to be found so I would gladly get off the flight with my kiddo and he said basically if I got off, i was on my own. I was like how nice! Then he said I was holding up the flight and I needed to choose now. I had to let the carry on go. It had a wallet, video game system, ID, tablet, etc. If they had let me know I could go on a later flight it would have been ok with me, but alas they wouldn't make that commitment.

Got in at 4, were on the road home by 5. got home a little after 6pm.

Was a lot of laundry to do and was exhausting!
    I did see Mike Tyson sitting on a slot machine checking his phone at the Westgate.

had a blast and will be back in November/ December probably!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  2. B S

B S MIA

Define yell, and why?

3. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    he was yelling at my kid, why are you a bad kid, why are you talking why are you having to sit by the window. then when we landed he was like why did you have to use the bathroom, why did you eat my pretzels, etc. So not really yelling but more like questioning my kid and I was like WTF.. no idea why

4. B S

B S MIA

Back off Mr. Pilot man...

Sheesh, no thanks. I would have told him to have a warm glass of shut the hell up.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What became of the lost bag and HTF did your brother forget it??

6. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    9 days in Vegas and this is the only part of your TR relating to your 9 days IN Vegas?

I think I know why the pilot was yelling at your kid.

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you got a good deal at Westgate. You do mention that your kid was a holy terror when you picked him up. The only time I have seen the pilots on SW is greeting as you board and then again when you disembark. What did the pilot yell or say? Enquiring minds want to know.

8. Mickey Bryan

Mickey Bryan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just reading this makes me terrified lol! I'm a nervous flyer anyway, so if all that was going on I would likely have had a meltdown! On the flip side, all of this happened and you are still able to call it a great trip. Great attitude! And yes, I curious to know about what happened with the bag in the end, too.

9. majorminor

majorminor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually sounds like the OP kinda did have a meltdown. Really sounds like the pilot was just messing with your kid a bit - probably trying to distract him so he wouldn't piss off all the other passengers. And the no drink thing due to turbulence and such - nobody's fault - it happens. And if I was a passenger on the return flight, I'm sure I would been hot at your crew. Forgetting a carry on then running around while everyone else waits - screw that noise! Sorry but it really sounds like you sweating the small stuff and focusing on the negatives. That's how your TR came through anyway... Glad your time in Vegas was good though!

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SWA pilots are trained to randomly harangue perfectly innocent children. It's entertainment, like when the flight crew sings.

11. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry didn't see your reply above. I agree with Ken -- sounds like the pilot was ribbing and joking around with your kid -- sorry you didn't take it that way or it didn't come across that way. But him asking why did you eat my pretzels? Seems clear to me he was joking.

You can youtube some of the antics that go on on southwest flights -- I have always had boring flights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNx5-bEKk8A

12. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None of the flight attendants were like that at all. The pilot was mean, but then again maybe he was just tired since he went from Vegas to Ontario, then right back again. Who knows..
    Not much else to say other than we ate like crazy, gambled way more than we should have and then came home. No idea how my brother lost or forgot it..

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

I'm not sure, but I suspect Ken was being facetious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.