1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Palm Springs shortcut

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by landsburger, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. landsburger

landsburger High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or so it's called...

Has anyone ever taken it (amboy, etc...)? I'll be going from PS to LV in a few weeks and I'm skeptical of the claim I've heard that it can cut an hour plus from the drive. 3 hours instead of four would be amazing, but Google rates them about the same 4 hour drive time.

Thanks for the help.

2. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

The 15 from Rancho to Barstow can be pretty heavy. Perhaps the shortcut avoids that congested stretch.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done that drive 20 or 30 times. It is more crow-flies but not any faster. In fact, with road conditions out there it is a bit slower than it once was; you really gotta watch for axle-busters on Kelbaker Road on either side of Granite Pass and Kelso-Cima Road is even worse, and then Morning Star Mine Road improves about five miles past Cima. That being said, it's a beautiful way to go.

4. elrohir44

elrohir44 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live about 30 miles west of Palm Springs and this is my new standard route to take to Laughlin. It is definitely slower driving through Morongo Valley, Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, and 29 Palms than an unobstructed drive up the I-15, but with the way the Cajon pass is lately, it is a much better route. I can't comment on Kelbaker Road once you pass the I-40 though. It's been a while since I've driven through the Preserve.

Make sure you do the speed limit through the towns. Once you go up the mountain on Amboy Road out of 29 Palms, though, there are no cops. I often go around 85mph until I reach I-40 and have only seen a cop once. It is much more desolate, though, so you will not get help quickly if you ever crash, so do this at your own risk!

Overall this route will save you about 50 miles of driving. I have compared both routes with no traffic and they are roughly equal time-wise. If you are leaving on a Friday Afternoon or evening, the "shortcut" is probably best because of how the pass gets. They did just open up most of the lanes through there though, so YMMV!

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beaumont?

Yep, that's the way to go to Laughlin. Or out to Desert Center/Vidal/Needless for a change of pace.

6. landsburger

landsburger High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks man. Appreciate it. Was figuring as much. I like to zone out on those drives, so the long 15 stretch and the ten is better then.

7. landsburger

landsburger High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great info. Thx!

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a minor thing but when you get to Redlands (on the 10) take the 210 to the 215 rather than taking the 10 to the 215 in San Berdoo. Minor thing but an easier transition.

Ugly fire in the Cajon yesterday. Burned across the 15, torched a bunch of cars on the freeway.

9. Nick Carroway

Nick Carroway Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Per the Desert Sun, a lot of the route was recently repaved. You don't save much in time, but it is a more scenic route.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to hear. My last time through was the first weekend in April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.