1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best way to go DC to NYC?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Terry Benedict, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Lady and I are making our first trip from Washington DC to Manhattan. We have scouted some hotels and vrbo sites and are pretty comfortable with our lodging options. Although I don't know about the safety of some neighborhoods. So any comments on dangerous areas would be appreciated.

I am a little puzzled about my options of how to get from DC to NYC. Amtrak has a train with a decent schedule, but no checked luggage. I found a bus for only $22 a trip but not great times.

Any advice on how to make our travel easy? Like I said, it's our first time and don't really have the lay of the land.
    Thanks.

2. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amtrak. Downtown DC (Union Station) to "downtown" (really midtown) NYC (NY Penn Station). No security lines, cabs or subways to and from airports, etc. Acela is the fastest but the regular train is pretty quick so I'd take that to save some $$. Depending on when you purchase your ticket, and the time of day and day of the week, you can get really good fares. There are a number of discount bus services but I like the train because you can walk around, have more space and traffic is not an issue. Welcome -- in advance -- to New York!

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for the Train, downtown to downtown and no security lines, you will arrive totally relaxed. There may be advanced purchase or AAA discounts. Check for promotions. If you miss your train, there's another one right behind it, probably with plenty of empty seats.

4. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live three blocks from Union Station, and I do this trip fairly routinely. You may want to look into Acela, which is faster and Business Class rather than coach. Saves you roughly an hour, although I'll concede it's more expensive by about $80 typically. You can put your luggage near the end of the car you sit in. There are typically several bags grouped together at the front and back of each car, and people go get their bags as the train hits various stops on its way up the Northeast Corridor (DC-Boston).

5. speedfile

speedfile Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely the train. Where is ur hotel?

6. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is also space above the seats to store luggage.

7. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Acela... easiest, and hassle free

8. ACMike

ACMike High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What hotels are you thinking of? Then I can tell you about the neighborhood.

And I agree about the train.

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love NYC

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    95 North.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.