1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

July 11-14, as I saw it.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by captainron62, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This will just be a very brief summary of the events as they unfolded from my perspective. This was a quick trip thrown together at the urging of BRONCOFN so I didn't have a real specific agenda. I was only home a day from a week in the Caribbean so I was possibly not as travel ready as I usually am.

I had a very early 530am flight out of CMH,, so at 500am I gave BRONCOFN a wake up call at his request and boarded the plane. We had a short hour or so layover in CLT which gave me time to check in on line. I had selected the LINQ just to try something new. I had enjoyed the vibe of the place on our Super Bowl trip and wanted to check out the rooms without Miss Captain with me.

I had pre-paid for the Bells Trans. shared limo deal so within 10mins or so of deplaning we were on our way to the strip! Bell Trans was a complete hit as I approached, gave them my confirmation number and was in a blacked out FORD SUV LIMO and off. No sharing btw, it was just me.

I was in the room by about 10am as the pre-check in allowed me to dodge the line and just grab my room key. I selected the $30 early check in but just as was the case in Jan with Bally's I would lander find that I was not actually charged the fee.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

Not much of a view, but I was only COMP for a basic room so I wasn't expecting much coupled with the layout of the Linq anyways. The room was clean and comfortable. I would describe the decor as chic on a budget. The bed was as comfortable as any I have slept on at Hilton so no complaints there. Everything was new so nothing broken or beat up.

I was looking forward to having breakfast on the second floor of Margaritaville but was disappointed to find that they no longer are open for breakfast. I was planning on some VP at Cosmo so I just walked towards PH to see what I could stumble on. Mon Ami looked kinda packed so we decided to just kill two birds with one stone and head into the Miracle Mile Shops, my friend with me needed sunscreen for his bald head so I knew we could grab that as well. (This town really needs a few more Walgreens, or maybe a CVS) haha! We had breakfast at some "Ocean" something or other joint. It was actually a good breakfast, I had four large pieces of french toast with sausage for $10 or so.

We continued onto Cosmo for some vodka and video poker. It was nice to be at the bar by 11am and knowing we had the whole day ahead of us. I ground out a few hours of VP and only ended up down $25 dollars but took 6 drinks off the place so I call that a win. I selected a three fight UFC parlay as Cosmo had much more favorable odds especially if you were betting underdogs. I had selected a couple favorites but picked Lawler as he was -155 as my underdog bet. My buddy wanted to bet with me so we headed to the window. As we were walking to place the bet at the last minute he asked me to change the bet and pick McGregor to lose to Mendes as our underdog bet instead of Lawler. All I can say is the vodka must have been in the drivers seat as I agreed to the change. This would end up being about a $700 mistake!

We were then headed back to the LINQ and on the way we knew we needed to find a place to watch the fight. Cabo Wabo said we could do a 445pm reservation to guarantee a table and also pay $50 a piece for the viewing. We stopped by the Tilted KILT and the girl said no reservations were being taken and she wanted $20 a person and said we should arrive around 4pm to find a decent seat. We offered her a $50 spot if she would hold us a table for 5pm and she said go pick a table! I picked basically the best table in the place and we were all set.

The fights were great and the "Kilt" was a great place to watch. Service was good and the crowd was a lot of fun. There were a ton of hard core UFC fans in town so there was lots of good conversation to be had and a great vibe. The main event cost us our bet but was great fun to watch. I had been up since 3am so after the fights I had one drink at TAG and then headed to the room. I was in room and asleep by 1130pm. I missed a late call from Broncofn for some fun, but I was exhausted.

Sunday after breakfast I was off to meet Broncofn at his cabana at the WYNN Towers. This would turn out to be a great time and highlight of the trip. I got to meet Natedogg, PPleus, PPhold, Packer Tony, UCLA, Rider, and Broncofn's lovely wife. Everyone was an absolute joy to meet and talk to. We went through some serious Grey Goose and I had a little more than I usually am accustomed to. This would later result in another short night for me but it was a great time. The cabana Broncofn selected was a real gem and the conversation and ability to actually talk face to face with folks you feel like you have known for years was fantastic.

Weather was perfect!!

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

The rest of the day would just be some dinner and VP at LINQ. I spent a lot of time at TAG as I found the pay tables to be adequate, I even found a machine that still had 9/6 at the quarter level. I actually got a lot of play for my money without any big hits. I had a ton 3OAKS and enough full boats to keep me alive. This would not be a winning trip, but the loss was not even enough to count so I am not complaining.

Monday I checked out the pool at the LINQ and while it was small it was not lacking in talent and scenery. The joint has a young hip vibe and the female patrons did a great job of repping the place. It is small but they do a great job of making it a happening place and as other review sites have reported they are doing the best with what they have. I unfortunately did not partake in the night swim party as I had hoped so I can't report on that.

Nothing real exciting to report this trip as far as gambling goes. I did have an odd experience with a TSA agent at LAS. I do the pre-check so I had zero line to deal with. A guy from the next line over obviously got a little confused and ended up over in my line and was being berated by a female TSA agent.
    He ended so panicked that backed up and bumped into me as we were heading through the metal detector. He began to apologize profusely and I of course told him no problem, don't worry about it. The agent then yells at us both "Are you going to fight over who is next or actually walk through the detector." I walked through and asked her if it was habit for her to be such a bully and so unprofessional. She then asked me if I would like to spend the day at the airport. I responded and to asked her to get her supervisor and we would see how that worked out for her. She just turned around and walked away. I am not the type to really complain on someone, but I wish I would have.

As always there are things I wanted to do bud didn't get to. I wanted to get a nice haircut and shave at one of the high-end barbershops but couldn't settle on one. I started to get a recommendation for PPleus but didn't get a chance to finish the conversation. I also brought a much heavier bankroll than usual with the intention of doing a little gambling with the big boys. Vegas is Vegas though and that didn't line itself up. Oh well, next time.

This will be my last trip of the year. I will likely be back for Super Bowl Weekend what will then be Mrs. and not Miss. Captain. We may break habit and stay at LINQ instead of Bally's.

2. bebevegas

bebevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great time Ron, the cabana pics are amazing, as I'm sure the company was ! I'm thinking I may try the Linq next trip as well, you can't beat the location ( plus I love Carnaval Bar )

3. JSR1968

JSR1968 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good write up CR. I have taken that 5:30am flight through Charlotte. Its a pain to wake up that early but you get to Vegas early!

4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there a link for photos?

5. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report Ron! Detailed and concise!

Also very happy to hear this! Because I assume this was 9/6/4 Double Bonus (96.38%), which likely means all the "old" paytables are still in tact! The "new" paytables for that game are a pathetic 8/5/4 (94.18%).

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked the LINQ when I stayed back in May. Basic and comfortable. Your room view looks almost identical to the one I had.

Which VP bar at Cosmo did ya'll hit up?

7. bebevegas

bebevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure it was Broncofn's TR I seen them in, maybe someone else's too. So many of the TRs blended the past few days. ;)

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gotcha....thanks! I thought I was missing a photo link here.

9. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Captain
    See you SB weekend. Always a great time

10. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See Joe ! I will be there. Also to others I will throw up some pics this eve! Still playing catch up since returning.

11. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report but that TSA mention kinda pisses me off..She probably/hopefully will have a new job soon if she keeps making comments like that.I've come across many nice people manning the job..

12. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR

Nice TR Capt. Ron

Not going to Criticize TS.a. as don't want to be included on the "no fly list"
    /but wait, were the ones there suppose to be protecting? Not Oppressing....

My TS.a Encounters in L.V. have always been nice & professional.

Superbowl 2016!

13. hoochiemama

hoochiemama Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice summary! I've been curious about linq. Had to decide about Cromwell. We went with cromwell but wonder if we made the right decision! But while comped I guess any decision is the right decision!

14. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems you had a fine trip. Thanks for posting.

later, GVJ

15. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think you can go wrong with Cromwell and I will eventually give it a go as well. Its really small, but you can walk anywhere you need to go in no time at all.

16. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good report, thanks for sharing. I stayed two nights at the LINQ for the first time this past April and we were really impressed. Drink service was great, excellent location, TAG is always good. We will definitely stay again.

17. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot to add that we tried CHAYO MEXICAN KITCHEN for lunch. It looked like a really cool atmosphere. I ordered the chips and salsa ($3) and they were excellent. I wish I would have stopped there. I told the bartender I just wanted something really light after that and didn't see a quesadilla on the menu or anything similar. She pointed me to a dish on the menu called QUESO FUNDIDO, I also choze the Chorizo (pork) and assumed I was getting their variation of a quesadilla. WRONG. The dish is basically a block of melted cheese with a bit of pork sprinkled on top. I don't know who could humanly consume that much cheese and have a good vacation, but certainly not me. I used the pork in the tortillas and basically the rest was a waste. They def have their own variations on dishes so make sure you know what you are getting.

18. sajones79

sajones79 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR, was waiting for mention of randomly shouting out "O-H!" to see if you got the appropriate response LOL I did this last October and got several "I-O"s in return :)

19. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was great seeing you Capt, see you super bowl weekend!

20. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always throw one out there when I see someone rocking the "Block O"!

- - - Updated - - -

It was my pleasure friend! See you soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.